Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

The manager is also responsible if the players are not focused though. It's his job to make sure they are connected in each game and playing to the best of their ability.

It's overall a tough season for us. Let's hope the team has a good run in CL at least. The league title is very very tough to win this year by playing like this. Copa del rey is a chance for us to bag a trophy also, let's not fuck that up.

delancey

There's always one or two higher midtable teams that get things right, every single season. Doesn't mean it's reproducable or the coaches are geniuses or the money spend doesn't matter. It's the most retarded argument in football.

It's a numbers game. From 20+ of those teams one or two will have a standout season. Usually it's not enough to win big titles though. And they probably don't understand either why things clicked for them.

Is this on Xavi?
View attachment 9992
I believe you misinterpret our criticism of Xavi. We lack patterns of play, unpredictability, tactics, in game management, intensity, urgency, purpose, attractive football, variability… all on a consistent basis. That is what is being criticized. The most God-awful football undeserving of the Barca jersey.
When most La Liga teams are playing better football than us, it’s a tell-tale sign that something must urgently change. Also, when we on occasion have played well, it has been due to two things: individual talent (some of the best players in the world) and a fighting spirit instilled in our players. The latter is a compliment to Xavi, which is also why I feel he’d be better suited for a corporate position than a managerial one. Or a managerial one at a division 2 team?

Jurgen Klopp is a perfect example of a manager with relatively average resources at his disposal, yet he consistently outperforms expectations. Do you think it’s a coincidence that Liverpool outperforms Manchester United despite the latter investing significantly more on recruitment? The fact that Liverpool didn’t win more EPL titles was because of an even greater footballing genius outperforming him.

Let Xavi and Oscar manage Manchester City, and I fear he’d get them relegated. :lol:

Emery is another example of someone who reproduces results, Time and again. How many EL titles does he have to his name? Now he’s doing it again at Aston Villa. Outperforming expectations. That is hardly coincidental.

But you know what? Beyond results, they play attractive football. And for me, that’s just as important as winning. As long as Xavi is at the helm, this wont happen. Not on a consistent basis.

Great managers imprint their visions on their respective teams. Their systems make their players better, which is also why so many players who leave for another team fail miserably. That is, They were system players. Xavi doesn’t have a system, and certainly doesn’t promote attractive football. That’s why I want him to leave.

Beyond that, I despise nepotism. His brother, Oscar, shouldn’t be the second in charge of one of the largest clubs in the world. What a joke!

Raketa10

I don't have any intention to defend Xavi. However, the attitude of our players in yesterday's game was beyond awful. IMHO defeat against Girona is mostly on players.

Iniesta Ultra

26fd1105-0518-435f-a50c-432d4f680e5d_1200x680.jpeg

DHorozov

Probably not the right moment to bring this up as Xavi had one week for preparation, but there is a big difference between big teams who play literally every 3 days and smaller ones who only have league and some Cup matches. Also to note that there is no training possible during international breaks as most of the squad is travelling the world to compete with their national teams. For them just to return totally exhausted from playing and travelling.

Under these circumstances, big teams don't have much time to actually work with their players. Work=training
Don't think there will be intense training sessions during season when you play all 3 days. Most of the time will be used for regeneration and then you also have to travel to away games which is usually once a week, sometimes even twice. Then you have some promotion games during the off-season, players returning late from vacay because there was a World Cup, Copa America etc.
In conclusion, you have much less time for preparation, trainings compared to smaller teams who don't have all that in that extent.

Take Girona. Most of the season they play once a week. Which means they have 4 to 5 days they can actually work with players and prepare for the game on the weekend. No travels during the week. Just training. Key players will be rested due to that and if Michel wants to he can field the same team every weekend since rotations aren't really necessary because his players get enough rest.

We could argue that a game is a better practice than a training session, but I don't agree with that. What you have written about EPL underlines my point.

Pep recently complained about scheduling and here is his take on that topic. I agree with that and can follow his reasoning. Worth a read: https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...congestion-good-food-needs-time-to-be-cooked/
I get your points and totally agree with them... but at the same time what worries me is that I don't see the pathern, the vision of what Xavi is trying to establish and work on... I understand we are a work in progress given all the circumstances, but I can't see and understand what is the final goal/vision of Xavi and this is what worries me...

One week we are bad in defense, one week we are bad up front, one week the work rate is lacking, one week the link up is not there... I don't think even Xavi knows what his final goal and approach is with this team and this is what I don't like... he doesn't know what the final product of this squad should look like and therefore to work on...

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Xavi: 'Without playing badly we picked up a bad result'​

"I think we had the better of the game, we created a lot of chances. Without playing badly we picked up a bad result."

"We have to work on our defending and finishing. We lost because of that. We have not taken our chances and in defence we paid for our mistakes."

"It's a blow as we are 7 behind Girona and 5 behind Real Madrid, level with Atlético. But that's the reality, this is a Barça team in construction and that means moving forward and back. I think this is the way to go, no doubt, we will keep working."

Fati_Future_BallonDor

“I am in no doubt that Girona are the best team who have come here”.

"The win is credit to Girona, Míchel's work with his players is spectacular. It was a tight game, if we had won we would be talking about a fair result."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans