Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Xavi's thread should be stickied in this section. Just like Pep's, Cruyff's and Tito's. He's the best midfielder in club history.

khaled_a_d

Xavi's thread should be stickied in this section. Just like Pep's, Cruyff's and Tito's. He's the best midfielder in club history.

Pep and Cruyff changed the way look at this club,Xavi is legend but the effect of the other two guys was even more important. Tito is the tragic loss

Last edited:

navidjaan

Postponing his return :( I hope he's talking all his coaching badges and already started working with youngsters in Aspire Academy.

khaled_a_d

Postponing his return :( I hope he's talking all his coaching badges and already started working with youngsters in Aspire Academy.

He is probably doing that already,and I actually like he is taking his time and enjoying himself there,it took guys like Zidane & Lucho almost 10 years after retirement to prepare themselves for Barca & RM job,patience is a key and he need to take his time.
He will be Barca coach one day but you only have one chance to succeed here as a coach and he better be well prepared for it.

navidjaan

He is probably doing that already,and I actually like he is taking his time and enjoying himself there,it took guys like Zidane & Lucho almost 10 years after retirement to prepare themselves for Barca & RM job,patience is a key and he need to take his time.
He will be Barca coach one day but you only have one chance to succeed here as a coach and he better be well prepared for it.

By "postponing his return", I was talking about his return to Barça to become a B coach. It took Pep one year after retiring to become B coach and Lucho four years. Not 10. So judging from those examples, Xavi should become B coach in 2019-2022.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC-Barcelona-v-RC-Deportivo-La-Coruna-La-Liga.jpg

We miss you man.

Alik

I would be happy to have him back on the team.

I have no idea what his level is right now, but just his presence on the pitch influences the style of play of the team. I think he could definitely still contribute.

Although he did leave at the best moment for him.

George_Costanza

I agree with this. Their technique on the ball makes them look faster.

Barca has specifically said that Gomes' signing was an opportunity in the market for us to sign a really talented player. It's either you sign potentially world class players when they are young, and you take care of them and develop them, or you take out 100m and try to sign players that are world class already. In which case you might find that the players you want to sign already play for big clubs who don't want to sell. Why? Because they bought them at the same stage that we are buying Gomes now, have invested time and trust in them, developing them to world class level, and now expect a big fat check to let them go, or tell you to fuck off like PSG is telling us with Verratti.

Tell me one world class midfielder who doesn't play for a top club, because people are speaking only about the likes of Coutinho, Verratti, Isco, who can't be signed, or would cost 100m. There isn't one, because you don't become world class by playing for Valencia, or Monaco, or Marseille, or other teams like that. You become world class by playing at the highest level, in the best teams, in which case the price gets closer and closer to 80-100m, simply because top and rich clubs don't need the money.

Gomes' signing is the exact type of signing we have to make. Talented players that can become great players in 2 years. The comparison with Adama is so off the mark it's not even funny anymore.

I agree with you. Gomes can shine with a proper coach. At his age, Xavi was considered usless too but under Pep, Xavi became among the all-time greatest midfielders.

F

FlaFCB

I agree with you. Gomes can shine with a proper coach. At his age, Xavi was considered usless too but under Pep, Xavi became among the all-time greatest midfielders.
Xavi useless? That's a myth. He was an undisputed starter for Barça at 23. Xavi was also the best player in the 2008 euro, before pep took over.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Xavi was awesome since he broke to first team and that's when he was 18. Gomes doesn't have any tools to make him world class.

George_Costanza

Xavi useless? That's a myth. He was an undisputed starter for Barça at 23. Xavi was also the best player in the 2008 euro, before pep took over.

Not sure if you were old enough and followed Barca between 2003-2007. He wanted to leave in 2008.

He himself said this to L'Equipe: "Four or five years ago, I was deemed terrible and useless. I was Barca's cancer! Rijkaard did not believe in me"

F

FlaFCB

Not sure if you were old enough and followed Barca between 2003-2007. He wanted to leave in 2008.

He himself said this to L'Equipe: "Four or five years ago, I was deemed terrible and useless. I was Barca's cancer! Rijkaard did not believe in me"
Yes, I followed Barça back then. Apparently you don't remember it well. And I'm not talking about general perception of people or a coach. Just that Xavi was already the player that shone under pep. When he was 23, he played over 4000 minutes for rijkaard, he was a starter.

The fact he was the best player at the euro, before pep took over, speaks for itself. Trying to compare Gomes with him is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans