Xavi Hernández V2

serghei

Of course the Madrid players will be CL winners because theyve won it recently... that doesnt automatically make Nacho better than Araujo.

The point is you can sell the expensive overrated players if you think theyre overrated and replace them with better ones.

No, no.

I'm talking about competition. Competition comes from having more than 1 good player per position in defense.

So, take, Kounde. I want to keep Kounde, and add a good defensive rightback, so if Kounde starts to do stupid shit, he is gonna get benched and the other guy will get his turn as a starter.

I want to keep Araujo, and add a new CB, someone better than fecking Inigo Martinez and Cubarsi. So that if Araujo has a prolonged period of bad form, he will also sit on the bench a while.

So, basically, we should get rid of Inigo and sign a new central defender. Someone who could actually start for us without being an embarrassment.

If we sell both Kounde and Araujo, we'd need 2 new CBs and 2 new fullbacks. All of somewhat comparable quality. Obviously get rid of Cancelo and Inigo.

jamrock

CBs is the last thing we have to worry about, we go 7 deep in that position it you including Faye,chadi and cubarsi.

If we can't find 2 that make a good partnership, then we might as well burn the club down.

But we already did with Araujo - Christensen at the very least.

If all else fails that should be the default.

serghei

I don't count raw kids as options. They should stay in the youth levels.

Christensen has very frequent injury problems. But I agree he can be useful as a CB if we sign a starting DM, so he doesn't have to fill in there instead.

ajnotkeith

Played superb vs City. Joke all you want... the joke's on you. Every time they needed him along the years, he did his part even vs the biggest teams. He's probably the world's best 4th CB option.
Not really... he just plays for a very good team who get results and gets rated that way.
Its circular reasoning... you are saying, Madrid get good results and win the CL, therefore every single one of their players must be good as they are all CL winners.
I dont even want to start breaking down how many things are wrong with that because i'd be wasting my time.

serghei

Not really... he just plays for a very good team who get results and gets rated that way.
Its circular reasoning... you are saying, Madrid get good results and win the CL, therefore every single one of their players must be good as they are all CL winners.
I dont even want to start breaking down how many things are wrong with that because i'd be wasting my time.

No it's not circular reasoning. Because to get good results, you need good players. Good players come first. If Nacho would've done some stupid shit like getting himself sent off, or causing a dumb pen, Madrid would have been out vs City. But he didn't. Because he is a solid, experienced CB who is used to playing big games like that.

serghei

Xavi already expressed his intent for CB - bring back Eric Garcia.

Yes, but he's already registered, no? How much does that count in bringing him back?

I can't take these decisions properly until I know for sure the club is free of these nasty financial restraints with La Liga FFP. Then if they sign players like that, then something is clearly wrong with our management.

ajnotkeith

No it's not circular reasoning. Because to get good results, you need good players. Good players come first. If Nacho would've done some stupid shit like getting himself sent off, or causing a dumb pen, Madrid would have been out vs City. But he didn't. Because he is a solid, experienced CB who is used to playing big games like that.
That really isnt how that works.

You can have certain areas of your team that contribute more to the wins. Its not that every single player is rated equally as a CL winner because some contributed more to it whilst others didnt contribute much... their bench players who dont play a single minute are also 'CL winners'.. means nothing.

You are also removing the role of the coach in your analysis.

It just has too many holes.

serghei

That really isnt how that works.

You can have certain areas of your team that contribute more to the wins. Its not that every single player is rated equally as a CL winner because some contributed more to it whilst others didnt contribute much... their bench players who dont play a single minute are also 'CL winners'.. means nothing.

You are also removing the role of the coach in your analysis.

It just has too many holes.

Of course Nacho didn't contribute as much as Modric. He just did his part without commiting big errors. Something Araujo didn't do vs PSG for example.

It has no holes. Nacho is a very good 4th option as a CB for Madrid. He'd probably start for us instead of Cubarsi. That's how it is.

ajnotkeith

Of course Nacho didn't contribute as much as Modric. He just did his part without commiting big errors. Something Araujo didn't do vs PSG for example.

It has no holes. Nacho is a very good 4th option as a CB for Madrid. He'd probably start for us instead of Cubarsi. That's how it is.
Its easier to 'do your bit' when you play for a better coached and better quality team...

If Araujo played in Madrid he probably wouldnt be committing that many big errors because his team shields him better.

serghei

Its easier to 'do your bit' when you play for a better coached and better quality team...

If Araujo played in Madrid he probably wouldnt be committing that many big errors because his team shields him better.

True. Hence the importance of the squad. He'd probably have to be much more focus in Madrid or else he'd be benched if he does one error too many. Overall, of course he'd play better in Madrid. Their team is better in everything really.

Manager counts a lot in other aspects, but in case of individual blunders, it's more on the player and his individual focus and motivation. For example, when Varane lost focus and motivation, he fucked it up vs City. Not long after, he was sold. Ancelotti's tactics didn't help him no?

The tactics depend more on players being motivated and focused individually, than viceversa.

Givenchy

One of our biggest issues is not quality of players but meltdown mentality (many mediocre teams are able to adapt to situations and win), something we saw yet again vs PSG. Now how on earth do you change that mentality when you have a loose cannon manager who gets himself sent off when the team need calm the most and refuses to take any responsibility blaming the officials. Araujo didn't take responsibility either so it's rubbing off on players.

Laporta is just as bad asking for a replay of the Madrid match. If that goal stood Madrid would of won 4-3, we weren't winning that match and we don't deserve to be in the title race.

Reactions: BJJ

serghei

You can observe the problems in motivation in Madrid side too btw. Why do you think they haven't been able to win two back to back league titles since 2008? The players are the same, but they haven't been able to produce two seasons in a row with the same focus and motivation. They win one season, then drop-off, then motivation is up again, they win, then drop-off.

Btw, Girona beat Madrid 4-2 last season.

Home of Barca Fans