Would you say that PSG is the 4th to 7th largest football club in Europe ?

do you rank PSG as 4th to 7th best in Europe ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I think there may have been a bug, I checked the poll box and submitted the thread but couldn't form a poll.
:(

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

In terms of revenue for sure. That's a fact at least. That is solely thanks to Qatari oil and gas money though as we all know. Their squad is likely to be among the best in Europe too (once again thanks to their financial strength alone) but their best European result in the past 4 seasons (since the Qatari takeover basically) has been a CL quarterfinal so the question is whether that warrants a position as the currently 4th strongest club in Europe? I don't think so. Also nobody ever won anything just solely based on the strength of their squad.

Winning their domestic league 3 times in a row (Lyon did it 7 times in a row in the 2000's and where nowhere near being labelled as the 4th strongest European club) is hardly an achievement that alone would qualify them for such a "position".

In terms of history, number of trophies won, fanbase, club infrastructure (mostly stadium here), academy, prestige etc. then PSG is nowhere near the biggest European clubs.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
You'd need to define "largest" for you but i'd have to say no anyway (quality, achievements, fan base, history, brand, prestige, etc..).

PS : this thread definitely needs a poll, too bad it didn't work, I think it'll be the easiest way to clear this, otherwise it will just be tons and tons of long very hard to read text arguments.

the question was supposed to be deliberately vague. If you guys want a proper poll though please don't discuss the issue further :mou:
and its 4th to 7th best. If you think 7th best, say yes. Well, when there'll be a poll :)

Icarium

Lifestealer
Real
Barca
United
Bayern

These are the top 4 biggest/largest clubs in the world. After that chelsea, arsenal, psg and juventus are there but hard to rank them. City, liverpool, atletico and dortmund comes next i guess. This is just a random list, some team might sneak into the list but it just escapes my mind. This is solely based on who is "bigger" not who is better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

surprised to see milan so up and psg, atletico so down. Well couple more years will take psg to top 10.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Top clubs in the world, imo:

Manchester United
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Chelsea
Arsenal
Bayern
Milan
Juventus
Liverpool

So...the answer is no. Certainly, nowhere near 4th.

Icarium

Lifestealer
In which way united is bigger than real and barca. Fanbase? Value? Revenue? Team? Their new spons deal is effective from next season, barca and real will get the same type of deal in 1-2 seasons. It has been a while they have been renewed.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
In which way united is bigger than real and barca. Fanbase? Value? Revenue? Team? Their new spons deal is effective from next season, barca and real will get the same type of deal in 1-2 seasons. It has been a while they have been renewed.

I don't think he put them in any sort of order. Just named what were, in his opinion, the world's top 10 clubs.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Even if he put in the order, i would understand. United were the biggest club when they reached few years back. If they start performing greatly and win cl they might reach the top again. PL has its advantages.

But i guess that will take a while, real and barca might keep a big distance before that happens. All they need is great spons deals. both qatar and nike will soon have to renewed. We need to demand the same money united is getting or at least something close.

footyfan

Calma, calma
It's not in order, a sort of intuitive pseudo-order maybe, I wrote whichever club came in my head first. So for sure, when I think about the biggest clubs in the world, one of the first teams I think of is United. Fanbase wise I think United might be the biggest in the world (not sure though) - in particular, their penetration in the global market is very good - North America and Asia are the two biggest growth markets for football and Manchester United probably has the biggest presence in these areas of any club.

I can understand if a European perspective differs from that. Fans based in Europe care more about history and achievements when they talk about the biggest clubs in the world.

United massively benefited from the 90s PL popularity and their ridiculous success in that period, and have maintained that fanbase until today and consequently, club value. Even from that wikipedia article you linked, you can see that United has been in the top 2 for all of the years except the most recent year. If anything, Barca (which was 9th in 2007) has been making ground year on year. I mean, right now, Madrid and Barca are probably gaining the most fans per season, but you have to think, after Messi's departure - where would Barca stand? They don't have the type of historical dominance some of the other clubs do - Real, United and Bayern. It wouldn't surprise me at all if United claw that position back within a few years.

Overall, I'd say Madrid is the biggest club, but if (when) United have their revival, it is easy for them to take that mantle back.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
But i guess that will take a while, real and barca might keep a big distance before that happens. All they need is great spons deals. both qatar and nike will soon have to renewed. We need to demand the same money united is getting or at least something close.

I don't understand how we only get 35M€ for that horrendous Qatar when ManU chelsea gets +60M without selling their souls! This board is truly the worst on all front.

But, back to the subject, do you think PSG is amongst the 4-7th greatest clubs in europe ?

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
In terms of current sporting ability, they break top 10, easily. In terms of brand value, prestige, fanbase? Not top 10. Not yet.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I don't understand how we only get 35M€ for that horrendous Qatar when ManU chelsea gets +60M without selling their souls! This board is truly the worst on all front.

But, back to the subject, do you think PSG is amongst the 4-7th greatest clubs in europe ?

If they continue their project they will be, but for me they already are in top 10.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Real Madrid will always be bigger club than United, that will never change. Barca will go to 3rd or 4th if messi retires. We will not go down much futher, messi or not messi we can attract players of high caliber just as madrid does. We are much better financially too than we were 1 decade ago, we can keep signing great players and stay among europe's elite.

footyfan

Calma, calma
In terms of revenue for sure. That's a fact at least. That is solely thanks to Qatari oil and gas money though as we all know. Their squad is likely to be among the best in Europe too (once again thanks to their financial strength alone) but their best European result in the past 4 seasons (since the Qatari takeover basically) has been a CL quarterfinal so the question is whether that warrants a position as the currently 4th strongest club in Europe? I don't think so. Also nobody ever won anything just solely based on the strength of their squad.

Winning their domestic league 3 times in a row (Lyon did it 7 times in a row in the 2000's and where nowhere near being labelled as the 4th strongest European club) is hardly an achievement that alone would qualify them for such a "position".

In terms of history, number of trophies won, fanbase, club infrastructure (mostly stadium here), academy, prestige etc. then PSG is nowhere near the biggest European clubs.

Your consistent use of 'then' as a conjunction in a lot of your posts is very interesting. Is this is a translation thing, from que or puis or something? You can replace 'then' with a comma (or even completely omit the word) and you would be grammatically and/or colloquially correct.

Home of Barca Fans