World Cup 2018

Much2soon

As a french fan, I’m happy with the squad Argentina put out. It’s over, if we can control Messi. Argentina literally have no other goal scoring threat.

For all the excuses they make for not playing Dybala, today in this formation would seem like the perfect opportunity.

serghei

OK, but in this case, why not play Dybala at RW? He's the perfect player to cut inside from there when Messi drops a bit and vacates his no9 position. You could have played Pavon on the left instead of Di Maria, and Dybala on the right.

Messi's position as a forward is good. Argentina will play on the counter this time. They were rarely in a position to do so at this World Cup.

JamDav1982

OK, but in this case, why not play Dybala at RW? He's the perfect player to cut inside from there when Messi drops a bit and vacates his no9 position. You could have played Pavon on the left instead of Di Maria, and Dybala on the right.

Messi's position as a forward is good. Argentina will play on the counter this time. They were rarely in a position to do so at this World Cup.

Would guess he thinks Pavon is more likely to defend and can break behind defence with more pace.

Messi seems to link quite well with Pavon at times as well on the right.

George_Costanza

Dybala on RW is ok but It's not his best position.

sabby

I can already predict the subs. Meza for Pavon, Aguero for Di maria and Higuain for Perez when they are desperate for goal ! I thought that the players have taken control over the line ups ? This still feels like a Sampaoli (or any other person from behind the scene in AFA) line up.

sabby

Messi's position as CF may just work out this time considering France have Varane and Umtiti at defense. I keep hearing Dybala and Messi can not play together since their natural position is the same. But in this team, that is exactly what may work out. The entire team depends on Messi and the opponents are completely aware of this so they cover Messi with 5-6 players anytime Messi is near the ball. If Dybala is nearby, either he could exploit this or the opponents would be forced to pull a couple players out of Messi to cover for Dybala which means more space for Messi. It is a win win in my book. Additionally, Argentina won't be toothless when Messi has to drop back to mid field and there would be a great finisher for Messi to assist to.

Home of Barca Fans