World Cup 2018

gasgas

Sorry for quotting myself, but this thing continues:
Semis:
France: header after a corner.

So, till now, 12 goals were scored in quarters and semis between equally strong teams:
6 headers after corners/set pieces (France, Belgium, England, Croatia, Russia in 1/4s and France in 1/2s)
3 headers from an open play (Kramaric, Delle Ali, Renato)
3 long range shots from the outside of a box (Cheryshev, Griezmann, De Bruyne)
0 goals in Barca's style, through the middle, inside of a box, against a parked bus

So, out of 12 goals scored: 6 were headers after corners.
Further, out of 12 goals scored, 9 were headers (6 after corners and 3 after crosses from an open play).
9 headers vs 3 goals with feet.

In 5 matches and 480 minutes of football, nobody scored "a classical" goal with feet from inside of a box from an open play.
It is harder and harder to score this type of goals against strong teams, it seems...

we need players to play 1-2 with Messi through the middle

Capitan Puyol

First to beat - England. In 1998 (the semi-final) Lillian Thuram turned into a GOD mode scoring 2 goals (his first goals for France NT) and threw Croatia into tears, after Davor Suker gave Croatia 1-0 advantage in 47th minute.I hope now story will be different.:rockon:

BBZ8800

we need players to play 1-2 with Messi through the middle

3 players vs 10 defenders?
It probably won't work.
Not that it is totally impossible, but it became extremely hard and rare lately.

This is why some teams turned to solutions with a way higher percentage of a success.
They are playing on "maths" to some extent.

gasgas

3 players vs 10 defenders?
It probably won't work.
Not that it is totally impossible, but it became extremely hard and rare lately.

This is why some teams turned to solutions with a way higher percentage of a success.
They are playing on "maths" to some extent.

i forgot to put a :coffee:

Capitan Puyol

Sorry for quotting myself, but this thing continues:
Semis:
France: header after a corner.

So, till now, 12 goals were scored in quarters and semis between equally strong teams:
6 headers after corners/set pieces (France, Belgium, England, Croatia, Russia in 1/4s and France in 1/2s)
3 headers from an open play (Kramaric, Delle Ali, Renato)
3 long range shots from the outside of a box (Cheryshev, Griezmann, De Bruyne)
0 goals in Barca's style, through the middle, inside of a box, against a parked bus

So, out of 12 goals scored: 6 were headers after corners.
Further, out of 12 goals scored, 9 were headers (6 after corners and 3 after crosses from an open play).
9 headers vs 3 goals with feet.

In 5 matches and 480 minutes of football, nobody scored "a classical" goal with feet from inside of a box from an open play.
It is harder and harder to score this type of goals against strong teams, it seems...
Cheryshev goal against Croatia was typical Iniesta/Xavi Barcaesque middle-range shot (goal) from Guardiola era. ;)

Morten

Why is France getting so much hate for being cynical, when Belgium did the same vs Brazil, and everyone praised them for it?
Not this forum in particular, but hardly anyone has given much praise to France, Belgium seemed to be a favorite for the neutrals this tournament, for whatever reason.

Neeraj

Why is France getting so much hate for being cynical, when Belgium did the same vs Brazil, and everyone praised them for it?
Not this forum in particular, but hardly anyone has given much praise to France, Belgium seemed to be a favorite for the neutrals this tournament, for whatever reason.

I think it's mainly due to the fact that Belgium are still seen as somewhat of the "dark horses" whereas France have been touted as one of the favourites from before the beginning of the tournament. Hence, people are more critical of France.

I really hope Croatia beat England, a France v England would be pathetic. Obviously I want England to win it the least, but I cannot stand the French team - my impression of that clown Greizman has changed after that ridiculous video, Mbappe's playacting, and heck, even Umtiti rolling around anytime he gets touched. Want France and its smugness to lose the final to Croatia, but I somehow see an England v France with France lifting it.

utility73

With France you could at least somewhat bemoan that they resort to just being cynical. With so much individual talent they could play more versatile. But whatever floats their boat.

On the other hand Belgium definitely did not deserve too much praise for their performance against Brazil. They only went through because Courtois and a lot of luck with all the bad finishing of Brazil.

West Saxon

I support a second-tier team in England and we've never won a trophy in our history; the closest we've come was the FA Cup semi-final in 2015 where we lost 2-1 to Arsenal after extra time. Tonight's game is by far the biggest game I've ever watched as a fan. It could well be the last semi-final I ever see one of my two teams play (and I'm only 24!), and it's definitely the most realistic opportunity I'll ever get to see one of them get to a final. I hope and pray we can reach the final, but if not, it's been one hell of a ride, and I've loved every minute of it. Whatever happens now, I'm so proud of every single player, and most of all, our wonderful coach, Gareth Southgate. What a guy! :D

Vilarrubi

I support a second-tier team in England and we've never won a trophy in our history; the closest we've come was the FA Cup semi-final in 2015 where we lost 2-1 to Arsenal after extra time. Tonight's game is by far the biggest game I've ever watched as a fan. It could well be the last semi-final I ever see one of my two teams play (and I'm only 24!), and it's definitely the most realistic opportunity I'll ever get to see one of them get to a final. I hope and pray we can reach the final, but if not, it's been one hell of a ride, and I've loved every minute of it. Whatever happens now, I'm so proud of every single player, and most of all, our wonderful coach, Gareth Southgate. What a guy! :D

Who do you support in England mate?

Home of Barca Fans