Who would you buy: Ilkay Gundogan or Oliver Torres?

Which one?

• Total voters
F

Flavia

This is just for entertainment purposes, as neither is a target :)

I lost count of the "sell cesc, buy gundogan", or "we need this kid, buy him"(about oliver) kind of posts, so I got curious to which one of them would be the favorite here.

In this hypotetical scenario, you're Tata, and both players want to join, but you can choose only one.

Who would it be, and why?

Irish_Cules

Gundogan no doubt.

Torres is an exciting talent but he is still only 18 and has yet to even start regularly for Atletico in La Liga. He still has a lot of development ahead of him. Gundoagan on the other hand has playing brilliantly at the highest level against the best teams consistently for a while now. I also think he is more complete than Torres, especially when it comes to his defensive play. Gundogan can do a job for you shielding the defence and be your sides main playmaker also.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Gundogan. A more complete player and further along in his development, could fit in straight away. Oliver will continue the same tempo and style of midfield that has been found out in the last two seasons, while Gundogan gives a different "flavour" to the midfield. He still controls the tempo of the game but not at the slow pace of Xavi.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Oliver easily.

Gundogan is a great player but very misread by many people on this forum. He's very counterattack based, not Barca style and if anything a "quicker" version of Alonso or Schweinsteiger. He's a great passer and everything but very suited to Dortmund's pacy and forward driven kind of game which we don't have the players or style for. He even misplaces more passes and gets dispossessed far more often than Thiago who everyone complains about. He'd obviously be able to adapt at Barca but not at the same glamorous level he's touted to be at Dortmund.

Oliver on the other hand shows absolutely perfect qualities despite being only 18!!! Imagine how much more he'll develop at Thiago or Gundogan's age. The guy can dribble through crowds, spray long passes with either foot, set the tempo of a game the way Spain and Barca need to, and has insane movements and turns. His style is absolutely suited to Spanish style of play, versus Gundogan which emphasizes German style of play.

Ursegor

World Champion
Oliver easily.

Gundogan is a great player but very misread by many people on this forum. He's very counterattack based, not Barca style and if anything a "quicker" version of Alonso or Schweinsteiger. He's a great passer and everything but very suited to Dortmund's pacy and forward driven kind of game which we don't have the players or style for. He even misplaces more passes and gets dispossessed far more often than Thiago who everyone complains about. He'd obviously be able to adapt at Barca but not at the same glamorous level he's touted to be at Dortmund.

Oliver on the other hand shows absolutely perfect qualities despite being only 18!!! Imagine how much more he'll develop at Thiago or Gundogan's age. The guy can dribble through crowds, spray long passes with either foot, set the tempo of a game the way Spain and Barca need to, and has insane movements and turns. His style is absolutely suited to Spanish style of play, versus Gundogan which emphasizes German style of play.

Reading this post was like watching a 5 pound chicken laying a 10 pound egg. "Counterattack based", "forward driven kind of game". :VdB:

And on which planet would a "quicker version of Alonso or Schweinsteiger" not fit into Barcelona? :lol:

F

Frejsgodes

Gundogan. A more complete player and further along in his development, could fit in straight away. Oliver will continue the same tempo and style of midfield that has been found out in the last two seasons, while Gundogan gives a different "flavour" to the midfield. He still controls the tempo of the game but not at the slow pace of Xavi.

This is the correct answer.

footyfan

Calma, calma
There's no Barca style, it will be gone after Xavi retires. Gundogan would've easily fit in the pre-Pep team, I fail to see why it would be any different after Xavi retires and Barca cannot hold on to the ball for inhuman stretches of time.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
"Barca style" is just the label for it but honestly players do have a preferential setting in which they play at their best. Gundogan could slot into our midfield and adapt well, but his best play would still be at a team like Dortmund IMO whereas Oliver would be at his best with a team like Barca. Plus if Thiago had problems being on the bench for a couple of seasons because of Xavi's seniority, what makes you think Gundogan would suddenly be okay with it? He's a more proven player obviously but if the club is actually willing to put in the effort to develop either of them, then I don't think it matters THAT much that the player comes in previously proven.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Yes, Gundogan's best play will be at Madrid/Dortmund - doesn't mean he can't do a better job at Barca than Oliver Torres. We don't even know if Oliver can sustain his performances for a month or more. We don't even know if he's good enough at the highest level. Gundogan most definitely is.

By the time Xavi retires, we need players in their prime so we can continue winning. Oliver will be 21 max by the time Xavi retires.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yes, Gundogan's best play will be at Madrid/Dortmund - doesn't mean he can't do a better job at Barca than Oliver Torres. We don't even know if Oliver can sustain his performances for a month or more. We don't even know if he's good enough at the highest level. Gundogan most definitely is.

By the time Xavi retires, we need players in their prime so we can continue winning. Oliver will be 21 max by the time Xavi retires.

It's not like Oliver is some blind gamble, his talent has been standout for quite a while. If the club is willing to nurture and develop him, then it's almost guaranteed that he'll sustain his performances and become a great player barring injury. I mean being "proven" doesn't always have to be a prerequisite for a transfer, why not get a player to his best after buying and developing him instead of waiting for another club to showcase his ability and then jack up their price significantly before the purchase. He'll be 21 but his position doesn't have as much pressure as goalscorers or forwards, he'll be a great squad player even at that age. Besides we're going to shift around after Xavi retires anyway, it's not like the burden completely drops onto Oliver's shoulders just like that. As he gets better, he'll take on a more influential role, it won't be forced onto him the moment Xavi is gone.

If I had to pick, I'd choose Oliver because he is young and could be played a year on the B-team first, to gain Barca-experience. Barca could form him a lot since he's only 18. I do like what I've seen of Gündogan but I just don't see him as Barca-material. Honestly I wouldn't go for any of them, Barcelona has some years left in Cesc, while Iniesta will probably play more of a deeper role in midfield like Xavi. and then for the future there is Rafinha & Sergi. ALL I WANT IS A TALL DEFENDER

Zuess99

Oliver torres , he is almost identical to xavi and can use both feet, attacks at times and is still young, so many seasons ahead.

Home of Barca Fans