Which CB would you sign for Barça?

Which CB would you sign?

• Total voters

Barca8

We obviously need a CB, but tbh, now that I think about it, I think that more than anything, we need to bring back the pressing and the 6 second rule. Especially in big games and ESPECIALLY when we use shit defenses or are forced to use shit defenses due to injuries (like what's happening right now).

I mean, we've won CL ties with some pretty shitty defenses because of this. Remember Arsenal in 2011? Weren't Pique and Puyol out in the second leg? And I believe Busquets was one of our CBs in that game. Arsenal still didn't get a single shot, on or off target. We used makeshift defenses in the 2009 semis and final as well (Sylvinho-Pique-Yaya-Puyol in the final I believe). Though we were a bit lucky in the semi. Even in the 2011 semis and final, we used Masch at CB (and Puyol at LB for the semis).

We showed that we can still press really well and carry out the 6 second rule in the 2nd leg of the Milan game. If we press anything like that in the remaining CL games, I can still see us winning it, even with our shit defense.

Now, imagine a Barca side that actually has a GOOD defense pressing and using the 6 second rule. We'd be unstoppable.

Your post is basically saying what WE REALLY NEED is Pep Guardiola.
To that I agree. Not that I don't love Tito but I just feel Pep shouldn't have had to leave in the first place.

You search for vids on Martinez and those goals are the predominant results, shame really because it doesn't give you a clue about his strengths & weaknesses...He's better than our crop of B teamers but the best parts of his game are his aerial strength and intensity...I'm not convinced he's a champion defender though and as such is a gamble...Much more a rotational player for us than a starter, IMO

Well Martinez is a defender so you're not going to find many vids of him compared to goal scorers. A defenders highlight is putting a foot in at the right moment. But Martinez is a strong defender. He can tackle, doesn't go to ground often, is composed, good in the air, he can pass and shoot. That to me is all you need to play for Barca. Our system works as a collective. If one link in the chain fails it all fails and thats what has happened this year. We've had too many weak links... only Messi scoring our goals, and our defense not being solid due to the DMFs being put back there.

We've done well this year despite all this. With the right transfers we can own Uefa again next season.

Irish_Cules

Kompany would be perfect.Lets hope he actually does want out of City. Even if he did though it's hard to imagine City letting their captain go. It's not like they need the money.

Yeah, Kompany would be awesome. Hope the rumors have some truth to them, though I wouldn't count on it.

We've done well this year despite all this. With the right transfers we can own Uefa again next season.

Yup, agree. I can see us owning the CL with the right transfers, especially if we bring back the pressing. Hell, like I said before, if we press like we did in the 2nd leg against Milan in the remaining CL games, I can still see us winning it, even with our shit defense.

Pressing + the right transfers could make us unstoppable next season IMO.

Last edited:
Kompany has been poor this entire season though...

Interesting...

City themselves haven't been that great this season. Isn't it the same case with Aguero?

If what you're saying is true though, then I'm not quite as sold on Kompany as I was before. Still think he could be an awesome buy for us (pretending for a moment that it has a realistic chance of happening), especially if he's able to replicate last season's form. His bad form this season could make him a riskier signing though.

Last edited:

Irish_Cules

The whole City team has been pretty poor this season. Yaya, Aguero, Kompany, Silva.... they have all had poor seasons but that doesn't mean they have all suddenly become bad players. If Kompany came to Barca I'm sure he would do terrific. I doubt there's much of a chance of it happening though.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Aguero and Kompany both have had seasons plagued with injuries and the times they played haven't been able to recapture their form. Sure, they're both quality players but I don't want to take even the slightest risk with a huge buy for our defense. I'd much rather get Ramos, for, say, an extra five million, who has been great all season than Kompany who is amazing when on form but has been off of it this entire season.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dória

Did anyone heard about this guy ?
It sounds like Juventus are going to sign him (rumours)... I saw a video of him, he looks very good, kind of brazilian Varane and he has been selected by Scolari for the next match against Bolivia.

A guy working for AS claimed that he was the most promising defender in some youth tournament (can't remember if it was for Brazilian clubs or international/south american)

Galning

Am I the only one who finds Kompany overrated? Of course he is still a good CB, but I think he's not as great as many people say.

Home of Barca Fans