What's your opinion about signing a pure #9?

Does Barça need a pure #9?

• Total voters

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
The best thing about Pep was: if it's not broken, fix it.

This is exactly why our play has been off for quite a while now, with Messi covering up most of our flaws. We have been standing still in development, no real surprises in the line up and too many people have a certain first XI spot. Tactically we haven't been innovating whatsoever, so I really hope Tata will stir things up and come up with new plans. No, this does not have to involve getting rid of our style of play at all, but it involves being able to change a lineup, formation or positions when the situation calls for it, something I haven't seen Barcelona be able to do in a long time. So yes adil_909, there is stuff to fix, and an experienced striker might be one of the many possible solutions to do that.

Last edited:

adil_909

15 or more trophies since 2008, countless champions league and copa del rey semi finals, being regarded as one of the best teams ever to play football. yep, sure sounds broken to me! quick, someone get me a toolbox....

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
15 or more trophies since 2008, countless champions league and copa del rey semi finals, being regarded as one of the best teams ever to play football. yep, sure sounds broken to me! quick, someone get me a toolbox....

Doesn't mean that you should stop improving and evolving. Every team is improving, bringing something extra and we need to do it as well or risk lagging behind.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Maybe you should start reading my first sentence, adil...

Not broken, but not improving either. Competition gets stronger and stronger every year, so we need to improve too. An extra option in attack to change things up might just be that little extra thing.

Gooch

Bringing in a new player would tilt the La Masia - external player balance too much. They've already bought Neymar for this season, and that's enough.

Would an experience big striker help them win? Yes, he'd provide variety because of his abilities that Barca players don't currently have. But ideology beats winning here for me.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Bringing in a new player would tilt the La Masia - external player balance too much. They've already bought Neymar for this season, and that's enough.

Would an experience big striker help them win? Yes, he'd provide variety because of his abilities that Barca players don't currently have. But ideology beats winning here for me.

When you are putting it that way it sounds like dogma. Ideology is a long-term thing, bringing a striker to Barcelona is a short-term fix this team might need and give youngsters the time to develop. With keeping that in mind, it also facilitates La Masia graduates, nothing wrong with that.

Gooch

Dogma would mean I wouldn't want any players from outside La Masia. Obviously that's not the case. There's a balance, and what that balance is is different for everyone. For me, the current mix is right and there should be no more signings.

I'm fully aware that winning provides a buffer and respite from pressure, but I think they can win enough without a new striker.

Anyway, there's another ideological reason I don't want a new striker, a reason which applies if they go for Lewandowski or another physical player. (My) Barca ideology includes a rejection of the lowest common denominator of physical football and the re-inforcement of the idea that football is a sport where size, speed, and strength matter less. Again, this comes at a cost, but it's one I am perfectly happy to bear as a fan!

Adrian

I wouldn't mind an experienced tall player who could offer us a plan-B when teams park the bus against us. I say experienced because the player won't be getting much playing time, so an older player at the end of his career probably won't mind as much

Icarium

Lifestealer
No need for a pure 9, sanchez is almost our pure 9 he can win duels which is what we lack. And we have so many attackers right now and can not decide who to unload for new player messi/neymar/pedro/sanchez. 4 key players for 3 positions it is already a big headache not to mention tello can improve too and we have dongou/delefeu/adama getting ready in 2/3 years.

Maybe we may need one if we sell pedro or sanchez which is favorable last season but both are on fire lately. Who will you drop for new 9? obviously both wont stay if a new striker comes.

Adrian

No need for a pure 9, sanchez is almost our pure 9 he can win duels which is what we lack. And we have so many attackers right now and can not decide who to unload for new player messi/neymar/pedro/sanchez. 4 key players for 3 positions it is already a big headache not to mention tello can improve too and we have dongou/delefeu/adama getting ready in 2/3 years.

Maybe we may need one if we sell pedro or sanchez which is favorable last season but both are on fire lately. Who will you drop for new 9? obviously both wont stay if a new striker comes.

That's why the experienced striker option is there. The striker would not get much game time but not be mad about it because he's at the end of his career. He would just be -used as a Plan-B and he could also mentor Dongou/Adama/Sanabria. I don't think we would need to drop any of those players, but maybe let Afellay go.

desoe

A picture tells more than thousands words, they say.

larsson3_259529a.jpg

Adrian

I remember when Larsson left.

Ronaldinho said, "With Henrik leaving us at the end of the season this club is losing a great scorer, no question. But I am also losing a great friend. Henrik was my idol and now that I am playing next to him it is fantastic."

Henry said, "People always talk about Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Giuly and everything, but I didn't see them today, I saw Henrik Larsson. He came on, he changed the game, that is what killed the game. Sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that; you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference, and that was Henrik Larsson tonight."

Home of Barca Fans