What if Barca signs Cesc and keeps Thiago?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
What if pep finds himself with Fabregas, Thiago, Xavi and Iniesta in next season's Barca?
Where would he fit them all? Would Iniesta play more on the wing? Would Thiago get enough playing time? What of Sergi Roberto and other youngsters that are waiting their chance?

Those who say there's room for them all will sure mention Xavi's age and his tendinitis. Or how lucky we were this season with Iniesta staying fit. And I tend to agree but still feeling slightly concerned that having them all will significantly diminish the chances for B team midfielders looking to brake in.

E

estranged

Dilemma of the century. I think Pep and everyone would love to keep Thiago if Cesc arrives, but I think a lot of that will depend on whether Thiago will be happy to spend most of the season on the bench (I assume Cesc/Thiago will be rotating for Xavi though I don't see this happening). I mean fair enough Xavi is aging and will get injured maybe quite often, but even then I can not see even Cesc getting the minutes he would like let alone Thiago, and it does not look like Xavi is planning to retire anytime soon.

I've always been a part of the bring-cesc-back camp but not at Thiago's expense. If Cesc coming means Thiago having to leave then forget it by all means. Selling Thiago even with a buy back option is still a bad move as well IMO. I Just can not see Thiago and Cesc in 1 team and yet both of them being happy. Having said all that, we do not know and can not be guaranteed that Thiago will grow and improve as we expect him too, whereas Cesc is a somewhat more proven player.

Aasim

Bumbleman
I think Xavi will play less games as a starter which will go to Cesc. I also think Keita will see less game time for Thiago.

This is assuming that Iniesta and Thiago will not be playing wing.

I think Xavi will play less games as a starter which will go to Cesc. I also think Keita will see less game time for Thiago.

This is assuming that Iniesta and Thiago will not be playing wing.

Yugi

sell keita first (lets be honest..... he is great squad player but he screws sometimes so much and gets playing time ahead of thiago) Pep is in love with him or what, he is 31 too.....
than thiago and cesc can rotate with xavi and don andres

Barcafan 2304

There will be lots of rotation and i dont see it as a problem......or at least, a nice problem to have. It will allow time for Xavi to be rested when he needs it and cover for injuries etc. I think we will see what Bojan predicted as well, more time on the wing for Iniesta

impeh

Hi, its me..
i think we'll save money and not buy sanchez, but push iniesta onto the wing quite a bit.

sukhy

Pack the midfield and have Messi up front by himself and just keep the ball for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours

------------Busquets----------
Thiago--Xavi--Cesc--Iniesta
--------------Messi------------

kkkkasd

I agree with some of the people here, sell Keita. There is no need for 5 midfielders and Keita is already 31 years old so it's not like his waiting for his breakout season or something.

Thiago can sort of act like Iniesta's backup while Cesc and Xavi can shuffle around a bit. Xavi isn't really THAT old. His only 31, and if you look at Manchester Uniteds midfielders many of them play utill 36-37.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If we buy Cesc and then Sanchez/any other wide forward... then we must be mnad. Because that way we will surely lose Thiago.

The only solution for Fabregas to be happy and Thiago to get his minutes is playing Iniesta as a forward... God how I wished that not to happen!!

And peopl suggesting to sell Keita... yeah give away Pep at the same time too

jamrock

sell keita first (lets be honest..... he is great squad player but he screws sometimes so much and gets playing time ahead of thiago) Pep is in love with him or what, he is 31 too.....
than thiago and cesc can rotate with xavi and don andres

this is the best solution me thinks.

Birdy

i dont see selling KEita.. Pep loves him.. But i see him playing less maybe, or sometimes at DM.. he will gradually play less & less the next two-three years and then go or retire..
And we must face it.. He is not suitable for the creating positions..

I dont see something wrong in having all 4 of them.. We have adequate cover for injuries, and to rest XAvi..
with Cesc we can rely on someone more experienced and Thiago gets the first priority out of the others..

The real question is what youngsters are in the age-shape to step in the next 5 years?
From what i have seen maybe JDS in 2 years time.. Sergi Roberto does not seem ready to me..

jamrock

the fact that we have 2 class DM, means we can sell kieta without missing what he brings to the table as we could play busquets there.

SwiftGuyver

if someone has to leave then yes it should be Keita but i really can't see Pep selling him...

Xaviesta + Busquets = first choice starters for most La Liga & CL games...
Fabriago + Masch = starters for Copa del Rey games, some La Liga & some CL games...

and Keita is our solid, loyal, veteran backup option...

looks good to me...

Home of Barca Fans