Wesley Sneijder

JackaL

Not a big fan of this transfer but I also don't know much about the Turkish league. I will be watching Sneijder's debut :party1:

I hope he plays this weekend against Besiktas Istanbul, it's going to be a derby in our home stadium, so the atmosphere will be great ;)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Just curious...I know that Wes' fallout at Inter was also related to wages and a refusal to take a paycut which also made it difficult to move him in the first place...Plus, clubs who have a modest payroll often see their team chemistry unsettled when a big signing arrives - Zenit comes to mind, for example

JackaL

Just curious...I know that Wes' fallout at Inter was also related to wages and a refusal to take a paycut which also made it difficult to move him in the first place...Plus, clubs who have a modest payroll often see their team chemistry unsettled when a big signing arrives - Zenit comes to mind, for example

Yep, that could indeed be a problem, as there are players in the squad that earn around 1 M €. But again it wouldn't be a wise decision / action of those players to act jealously, as such a talented and star player can boost the team's performance so that everyone is getting more money at the end. Sneijder's good performance will have an effect on the strikers as they will hopefully shoot more goals, strengthening their own contract negotiations for the next time. All in all, it's not a economically not a wise decision for any of the players. But not everyone acts rationally.

Quoting Simon Kuper's Soccernomics, we could state that salaries should be payed on time and enough so that it doesn't cause any problem within the team. That means everybody gets enough money so to not make an issue about it. That way the players focus on the pitch and not on any other things.

BerkeleyBernie

Classic Sneijder curler. As the saying goes, reports of his demise are premature. Still one of the best attacking midfielders in the game.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
His goal sums up everything about him. He is an angry person with a ton of skill who every now and then indulges in some selfishness. Though I will always love him for delivering the CL to Inter. A greater feat than whatever Messi repeated after Ronaldinho/Deco.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
His goal sums up everything about him. He is an angry person with a ton of skill who every now and then indulges in some selfishness. Though I will always love him for delivering the CL to Inter. A greater feat than whatever Messi repeated after Ronaldinho/Deco.

Not that I would know how to start comparing the 2 but Messi scored in both CL finals he played in. Add to that numerous Clasicos as well. He failed to deliver in some games, true, but show me a player that hasn't.

If there's anyone who's responsible for "delivering CL to Inter" then that would be Mou. And I'm actually a fan of Sneijder.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
You are right, Mou put that team together and drilled them hard. What he needed was some resentment, bitterness and Argentinian swagger, he supplied the hate. Eto'o, Sneijder, two top players who left their respective clubs on unfavorable conditions were hell bent on proving a point and Milito was ace that year. I am sure he filled Eto'o/Sniejder with enough mind games to get them to put in massive shifts such as Eto'o playing RW/RB!

Meitux

some really great long range goals.I would like having someone who can shoot from distance here

Last edited:

JackaL

He was mesmrizing today, like a boss. It's so great to have a player hat is mentally alewad at least 2-3 steps ahead of the opponents. In football, this is some seconds, which can be compared to miles :) so glad he is on form. Hope to see more from him in the CL as well.

Gilberto

Wesley Sneijder is one of the few players that should always be in the Dutch national team. He adds something. He is a fantastic playmaker and can use both feet so he can pick all kinds of passes. Sadly he got kicked out of the national team because our coach said 'he wasn't fit'. Right now he is very eager to get his spot back in order to play on next years world cup.

JackaL

Wesley Sneijder is one of the few players that should always be in the Dutch national team. He adds something. He is a fantastic playmaker and can use both feet so he can pick all kinds of passes. Sadly he got kicked out of the national team because our coach said 'he wasn't fit'. Right now he is very eager to get his spot back in order to play on next years world cup.

Van Gaal is getting ridicolous, isn't he? I would always call up a Sneijder. Is Kuyt in the squad?

Chainsaw

Killahead
Sneijder is a bit bipolar, so I understand Van Gaal somehow. But I guess he will be called up later if he keeps his good form.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans