WC Qualifiers 2018 - South America

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Otamendi and Samuel are worse centre backs than Garay and Fazio. Insua and Ansaldi are about the same level. So I disagree.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Sorry to nitpick but if you guys are going to do nothing but fight over hypothetical Argentinian lineups, would you mind doing it in the Argentina thread? This topic should be about the qualifiers, not the future.

In other news Falcao bailed out Colombia in Boliva. :wub: Playing in the Andes is always a bitch but Bolivia is really devoid of talent right now. :( Didn't stop Maradona from losing to them though...

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Medel makes it 3-0, Yusuf will be thrilled if he can spell his name properly. Poor Peru.

The battle of the 'guays is still a stalemate.

And now 10 minutes later it's 3-2. :lol: :lol: :lol: Chile's defense is vile.

In Paraguay GOOOL DE FORLÁN! He's now Uruguay's sole all time scorer.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
nice one, Diego.

Chile are just sexy as fuck. wish they had won the Copa. they still need a stud CB to emerge and lead the likes of Ponce, Contreras, Jara and even Medel. perhaps Toro? I dunno. it's one thing to have an average defence, but Chile's defence is average at best.

still... sexy as fuck. perhaps third only to Villa and Forlan in the international football sexyness scale.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I'm still concerned what direction they will head in though. Sexy as hell yes but that defense needs to improve. There's prospects, Toro, Magalhaes, Casanova, but none really stand out the way Coates or Polenta do for Uruguay, but it's easier for a Uruguayan defender to stand out.

If they don't improve their defense I fear they are going to try to find a coach to install a more orthodox system.

The sooner Asexis comes back the better really, not all teams are going to be as easy to beat as Peru at home.

Damnit, last minute goal by Paraguay! Oh well, good result for both teams all things considered.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
3 at the back for Argentina!

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

oh wait, one is Demichelis...

...eeeeeeewwwwwwww

I'm still concerned what direction they will head in though. Sexy as hell yes but that defense needs to improve. There's prospects, Toro, Magalhaes, Casanova, but none really stand out the way Coates or Polenta do for Uruguay, but it's easier for a Uruguayan defender to stand out.

I'm sure they can be at least as good as Jara.

If they don't improve their defense I fear they are going to try to find a coach to install a more orthodox system.

well Pellegrini has said he fancies a go at some point...

Damnit, last minute goal by Paraguay! Oh well, good result for both teams all things considered.

huzzah!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Amorebieta is playing for Venezuela? Good man!

3 at the back for Argentina!

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

oh wait, one is Demichelis...

...eeeeeeewwwwwwww

Interesting, 3-4-3 but based on that lineup I'm guessing it's going to be almost 5-2-3 esque

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Amorebieta is playing for Venezuela? Good man!

his 2nd cap, I do believe.

Interesting, 3-4-3 but based on that lineup I'm guessing it's going to be almost 5-2-3 esque

well it's 3421 if we're being pedantic. but essentially yeah. the wingbacks are getting up and down the touchline while Badger and Sosa patrol the middle and the front 3 do whatever the hell they want.

a good solution to protect the poor defenders, especially as Sosa's presence means Badger can get back in and form a back 5. only problem is it leaves a bit too much to individual brilliance on the attacking end.

but tbh if there's one thing Argentina has plenty of...

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
his 2nd cap, I do believe.

Yeah, I checked and he played a friendly in September. I knew he was leaning toward it, but glad he finally took the leap. Good on him, plus it's so much cooler looking at the Athletic wikipedia page squad list now having one Venezuelan flag along with all the Spanish ones.

Home of Barca Fans