Virgil van Dijk

serghei

nah it isn't, klopp's defense was trash for a few seasons till VVD came

Wasn't Van Dijk missing vs Bayern and they conceded zero goals? It's the overall defensive shape and system that has been improved. Not saying Van Dijk being great doesn't help, but it goes way past him. They defend as a team and everyone works for the same purpose.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
best center back I have ever seen in my life so far

you must be a small child. I'm not even that old and have seen Nesta, Cannavaro, Puyol etc. who are all better.

even out of players today players like Godin, Ramos, Pique have all been top defenders for a long time and proven it over a long time while winning trophies.

and I say this as a guy who likes van dijk and thinks he's a great player since seeing him at Celtic.

FCB1987

Banned
you must be a small child. I'm not even that old and have seen Nesta, Cannavaro, Puyol etc. who are all better.

even out of players today players like Godin, Ramos, Pique have all been top defenders for a long time and proven it over a long time while winning trophies.

and I say this as a guy who likes van dijk and thinks he's a great player since seeing him at Celtic.

none of those players (especially Puyol) were ever as singlehandey dominant as VVD

KingLeo10

The great defenders have proven their worth in CL finals, WC finals, Euro finals and the like.

VVD is really good but until he accomplishes this, he can't be considered in the same category as the legends.

Havesaks

you forgot 15/16

also, im not sure he's a late bloomer, but rather he was underrated because he played for southampton and celtic. their fans keep saying that he had been playing at this level for years now but since nobody watched those teams he had gone under the radar

15/16 i dont recall his performance that clearly, but you are probably right. Still, his 3-4 absolute best seasons (this one is his best imo) are still below VvD's last 2-3 years. That guy has been a beast, and lfc's defence was a mess for many years until he came along and changed it from day 1.

Yeah, i read the same thing. Still, if you first play in a big team at age 26, and top 5 leauge at age 24, i think you can call him a late bloomer because he at least wasnt tested at the highest level. But yes he apparently he has always been a great defender and his talent was even regonized in gronningen, the only thing he lacked - like pique - was concentration in games, and that he has improved on.

serghei

resorting to team accomplishments because you know Van Dijk is the better player individually

Last player that got overrated like that is Thiago Silva. He was supposed to be the new Baresi, Maldini or whatever. That went well. :lol:

Van Dijk is world class, but this is his 2nd season among the big boys. Let him do it for nearly a decade and then we'll talk about his place among the greats.

Havesaks

His performances in Southampton made lfc throw 70-80 m for him, making him worlds most expensive defender despite only playing in a miflevel pl team, dont underrate his performances his second and third year at SH.

Thiago Silva was a beast in Milan and as far as I know he has been really good for psg. Just like neymar he isnt recgonized because he plays ligue 1. He wasnt overhyped.

Havesaks

R10 is mentioned as one of the Best of all time despite only playing 4-5 seasons at top level. You dont necessarily need to play your whole career at top level to be tier 1 lv.

KingLeo10

R10 is mentioned as one of the Best of all time despite only playing 4-5 seasons at top level. You dont necessarily need to play your whole career at top level to be tier 1 lv.

R10's level in the top games (Mourinho's Chelsea, AC Milan, Real Madrid) between 04 and 06 was about par with Messi's, R9's, and CR7's best as attackers in the last 20 or so years...

Havesaks

R10's level in the top games (Mourinho's Chelsea, AC Milan, Real Madrid) between 04 and 06 was about par with Messi's, R9's, and CR7's best as attackers in the last 20 or so years...

And vvds level 2017-2019 is the Best defender I have ever watched... Didnt watch italians great defender in 90' og Beckenbauer, but Can someone tell how good vvds last 2-3 y are in comparision to the all-time great cbs?

Home of Barca Fans