Virgil van Dijk

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Liverpool haven't been tested by a top team yet.

Boateng was the best CB in the world before Messi sent him to the shadow realm.

He will find his form again eventually and be back at his best

Boateng had his best season even after Messi had sent him to the shadow realm. He declined after Euro 2016.

Lfc fan

Another clean sheet and dominant performance. 7 goals conceded in 19 games and undefeated... what a fantastic defender.

Kuavo

Another clean sheet and dominant performance. 7 goals conceded in 19 games and undefeated... what a fantastic defender.

Yeah he has been fantastic. The knock-on effect he has had on Robertson, Gomez and TAA has been great, they have all improved tenfold under his leadership and will continue to do so. Even if a forward manages to get past them then they face Alisson, and as proved numerous times this season (Burnley, Napoli, Everton and Chelsea games come to mind) he is very adept at making huge saves. The best defense is the best offense.. that's what puts Liverpool over City this season IMO.

Horatio

You're welcome
As decisive as Ramos, clearly better at defending than him, as good of a leader and without all the nastiness.
All that at age 27.

Leo_Messi

He has been a great addition to Liverpool but like everyone else he is benefiting from a well-functioning and strong collective. I doubt that Van Dijk would have played as well in a dysfunctional team or even for us earlier in the season when we were giving away goals for fun. That should not work against him but it's just another testament of how important (most crucial part) the collective is and how important the manager is (Klopp). Klopp has in the past 3 years had the opportunity to implement his philosophy and create his team from scratch. Klopp has had a say in all of Liverpool's transfers in the past 3 years, we can't say the same about Valverde or Lucho before him. Imagine if Liverpool's board were trying to undermine Klopp and sign their own players of their liking.

The addition of Becker (second most expensive goalkeeper in history and one of the best already) has been a contributing factor as well. Van Dijk, being the most expensive defender, is no smug either. You usually get what you pay for. Not only in football but in every walk of life. He might have been the best central defender in the world this season so far but before I would proclaim him as the best he needs to show this level for more than 1 season. Anyway there is no doubt that he is a special defender.

Last edited:

Havesaks

Van dijk looks for me like the school boy who all his time has been to clever for his surroundings and couldn't flourish - now he can, in PL for Southhampton and now for Liverpool with even better players. He always lacked motivation and concentration and it still shows sometimes, but the tools have always been there. He could have done just fine and better then lenglet for us, but he wasn't an option for us when he was sold, because we needed to fill the Neymar-gab with Coutinho which in hindsight wasn't that good a deal for us. Still defense wasn't a priority, and that made sense - so i don't really feel bad of missing out on him. But it makes you think, what if played in academy for a big club, i think he would have been a ramps-great player today (career-wise).

ABout Klopp. I tottaly agree, the man is the best at team building in the whole game and his teams always plays like a unit, often with attractive football. We need him, but it would take years before he is available. He will be in liverpool for at least 3 years more.

Messigician

Van dijk looks for me like the school boy who all his time has been to clever for his surroundings and couldn't flourish - now he can, in PL for Southhampton and now for Liverpool with even better players. He always lacked motivation and concentration and it still shows sometimes, but the tools have always been there. He could have done just fine and better then lenglet for us, but he wasn't an option for us when he was sold, because we needed to fill the Neymar-gab with Coutinho which in hindsight wasn't that good a deal for us. Still defense wasn't a priority, and that made sense - so i don't really feel bad of missing out on him. But it makes you think, what if played in academy for a big club, i think he would have been a ramps-great player today (career-wise).

ABout Klopp. I tottaly agree, the man is the best at team building in the whole game and his teams always plays like a unit, often with attractive football. We need him, but it would take years before he is available. He will be in liverpool for at least 3 years more.

Klopp plays direct football he would be Tata v2 the players and press wouldn't stand for it. We are a possesion based club not direct.

Last edited:

Devils

Despite making himself look worldclass, he even makes Lovren look like a tolerable defender.

This guy is just unbelievable on a whole other level.

Home of Barca Fans