Vinícius Júnior

khaled_a_d

What is scary about Vini isn't his current form tbh, he is very good but still can be contained fairly well under right system.
What is scary is his progression and development, all signs pointing toward him becoming a ballon dor winner one day.

El Gato

Villarato!
So who plays RW when Mbappe joins? Whoever has to play RW will suffer greatly.

Mbappe will play RW until proves his comfort takes precedence and provides bigger benefits. If not better than Vini in a given series of games or over length of season, he won't be given benefit of the doubt.

Which he won't because he's not as functional a dribbler as Vini is. So I expect him to either need to move to CF or RM playing him as one of 2 strikers (Vini and another on rotation) sometime down the line. Depends how much he ends up scoring

Morten

Mbappe will play RW until proves his comfort takes precedence and provides bigger benefits. If not better than Vini in a given series of games or over length of season, he won't be given benefit of the doubt.

Which he won't because he's not as functional a dribbler as Vini is. So I expect him to either need to move to CF or RM playing him as one of 2 strikers (Vini and another on rotation) sometime down the line. Depends how much he ends up scoring

Mbappe can play CF as long as we don't get Haaland, though still has to share minutes with Benzema, few serious teams play 4-4-2 anymore.

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
When Mbappe comes he'll play on the left zone, he is not going to play on the right, never happening.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Tell us more oh wise one

If Mbappe want to play on the left like he does with France now then he will play on the left. He'll be your marquee player, the face of your team and the player you build your team around.

It's just how it is.

El Gato

Villarato!
If Mbappe want to play on the left like he does with France now then he will play on the left. He'll be your marquee player, the face of your team and the player you build your team around.

It's just how it is.

Not necessarily.
Will see who is more effective coming off the left. If Vinicius provides more net benefit than from the right in short-term, Mbappe will play RW for at least one season until central spot is freer. If it isn't freer, I can see them getting thrown about to see who gives more to the team at LW.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not necessarily.
Will see who is more effective coming off the left. If Vinicius provides more net benefit than from the right in short-term, Mbappe will play RW for at least one season until central spot is freer. If it isn't freer, I can see them getting thrown about to see who gives more to the team at LW.

Won't happen mate.

It's just not realistic. I do rate Vinicius very highly, but he's not a big enough name or a superstar where his development and what he brings to your team will be prioritized over someone like Mbappe.

It's like when you tried out CR7 as a CF and Bale on the left where he wanted to play in a few games years ago, but CR7 wasn't comfortable with it so that all went in the bin.

Benz back in the lineup, CR7 back starting off the left and Bale at the RW. Still worked out well for you of course so maybe Vinicius at RW still will although I have my doubts.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Won't happen mate.

It's just not realistic. I do rate Vinicius very highly, but he's not a big enough name or a superstar where his development and what he brings to your team will be prioritized over someone like Mbappe.

Mbappe is a CF these days, barely plays off the left. Way more likely he will play RW or CF, even in a 4-4-2 the kind Carlo tried to shoehorn Hazard into to give him something to do. Vini never played RW and coach whoever it is won't kill a younger guy who creates more on ball.
If Mbappe ends up useless or awkward at RW, will probably be moved to CF within a year.
No superstar stuff needed, will come down to who loses less out of position.

In fact much like it is working out with Rodrygo who is a converted LW but works OK at RW and moving Vini there made him shite whenever it was tried

Pochettino even prefers Mbappe at CF and get Di Maria at LW when Neymar out AFAIK
Bar the Benzema partnership from France NT there's little reason to use Mbappe at LW when have such a weapon there already

Last edited:

Morten

Won't happen mate.

It's like when you tried out CR7 as a CF and Bale on the left where he wanted to play in a few games years ago, but CR7 wasn't comfortable with it so that all went in the bin.

Benz back in the lineup, CR7 back starting off the left and Bale at the RW. Still worked out well for you of course so maybe Vinicius at RW still will although I have my doubts.

Really? I don't recall that at all, LW was not Bales natural position, if not RW than behind the striker, actually.

Yes he played LB early in his career, but that still doesn't make it his favorite position.

Also, doesn't Mbappe operate as a CF rather well?

If Haaland ends up elsewhere, Vinicius and Mbappe could both fit in the team.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Really? I don't recall that at all, LW was not Bales natural position, if not RW than behind the striker, actually.

Yes he played LB early in his career, but that still doesn't make it his favorite position.

Also, doesn't Mbappe operate as a CF rather well?

If Haaland ends up elsewhere, Vinicius and Mbappe could both fit in the team.

Don't recall the Bale at LW for a long stretch either
Do recall when Benitez tried him as #10 which failed but nothing to do with how comfortable or uncomfortable CR was.

Bale never really had favourite position as long as he didnt have to defend much.
Was always the type that would try what you asked of him and eventually just got used to cutting in and doing ridiculous trivela crosses

Morten

Don't recall the Bale at LW for a long stretch either
Do recall when Benitez tried him as #10 which failed but nothing to do with how comfortable or uncomfortable CR was.

Bale never really had favourite position as long as he didnt have to defend much.
Was always the type that would try what you asked of him and eventually just got used to cutting in and doing ridiculous trivela crosses

Well, it wasn't a failure for him individually, as he performed quite well, if i recall, but the team overall was certainly a mess under Benitez.

Think he played pretty much as a number 10 in his final Spurs-season, where he was the man-guy, so if anything was his favorite position i would go with that, but idk.

El Gato

Villarato!
Yh think it wasnt him but that we didn't have a DM to cover all the holes Marcelo and the 2 CM's would leave and had to sacrifice whoever RW was (Jese? or Lucas? cant remember) to get more balance in a proper 4-3-3 and move away from Ancelotti 14/15 setup that had Kroos play pivot

Bale was a better, more athletic Asensio that is most useful on receiving end of crosses than one making the run and the pass. Both can shoot and finish real well but latter doesnt put himself in best position very often unless specifically designated to play central. No wonder Marco also has spurts of form, but never holds onto it when he's so 1D outwide leading to Ancelotti even wanting to use him at RCM, and then folds on the idea soon as he sees best quality midfielders cant fucking take playing with one partner out

Whatever happens with Vinicius and Mbappe, it's the mobility of midfielders that causes problems anyway

Porque

What is scary about Vini isn't his current form tbh, he is very good but still can be contained fairly well under right system.
What is scary is his progression and development, all signs pointing toward him becoming a ballon dor winner one day.

Absolutely true.

On the otherhand Vini has aged about 15 years in his face over the space of 1 year. It is also possible that by the end of 2023 that he will be approaching retirement.

Home of Barca Fans