Vilanova feeling stronger every day

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The manager has said that he is feeling better with every day and is “very much looking forward to continuing” to coach the team next season

He has thanked the players and coaching staff for their efforts while he was away, especially singling out Jordi Roura and Aureli Altimira for praise

He feels that Barça are always obliged to go out in front of their fans and show that they are able to compete, and have to believe that they can still beat Bayern Munich

The pressroom at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper was especially busy today, with the media keen to hear what Tito Vilanova would have to say in his first official press conference since returning to Barcelona. The coach was highly optimistic about the situation and also spoke frankly about his future, saying that “I feel strong, and health permitting, I’m looking forward to continuing in the job … I feel well after all that I’ve been through, I didn’t come back any earlier because there were some secondary effects. But I’m feeling better with every day and I was really looking forward to returning here.”

He went on to say a bit about how he had remained in contact with his work while he was in the United States. “There were problems due to the distance. But in New York, my day to day life was generally good, and I was able to keep in contact with the team thanks to new technologies.” There were some tough moments, but he never considered giving up his position. “If ever I get two days off, I don’t know what to do. This job is no burden to me and the doctors told me that the best thing I could do was to work”.

A grateful coach

Vilanova especially singled out his fellow coaches for praise, saying that “Roura and Altimira have done an exemplary job at a very high level … In any other place this situation of not having a manager would have been a big problem. It was a difficult decision for the Club, but I’d have accepted it, whatever it was … The Club’s work-rate and commitment has been extraordinary, we should be pleased with these players for managing to hold their place in the league and reach the Champions League semi-finals for the sixth year running”.

The Bavarian challenge

Tito Vilanova was also pressed on more sports-related issues, and particularly the heavy defeat at the Allianz Arena. “Bayern truly did come into the game on spectacular form, and although we didn’t play badly, we weren’t at our best. But 4-0 was not a fair reflection” he said. “But we are Barça and it is our obligation to go out in front of our fans and show them what we are made of, to compete and try to win. We’ll see what happens. We have to play confidently. I know it will be difficult, but I’m not throwing the towel in”.

Liga, the sooner the better

But before that, Barça visit San Mamés, knowing that they could actually clinch the league title this weekend. “I don’t care when we win it, but the sooner the better” said Vilanova. “I want us to be the champions.” In general, although he accepts there was room for improvement, he is happy with the way the season has gone. “We are having an excellent league, I’m convinced that we’re in the strongest league there is, and getting so many points shows that we are doing things right”.

Looking ahead

The names of various players came up during the press conference, but Vilanova preferred not to dwell too much on those matters. “The most important part of the season is upon us, and it’s not the time to be speaking about players coming or going” he said. Neither did he think that the 4-0 defeat in Munich had to change the way people are thinking about the bigger picture. “All year we are panning for the following season and I don’t think there need to be any big changes to what has already been spoken about. It is not easy to make this team any better”. On two of the most sensitive cases, Abidal and Valdés, he did have something to say. On the Frenchman, he commented that “he’ll keep taking things a step at a time as he has done until now” while regarding the goalkeeper he commented that “I’d have no problem if he were to decide to stay for another year”. Valdés’ contract ends in 2014 and he has already announced that he does not intend to renew it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
“Bayern truly did come into the game on spectacular form, and although we didn’t play badly, we weren’t at our best. But 4-0 was not a fair reflection” he said.

:facepalm: Tito is in denial. We were beyond bad, our performance was disgraceful, with a meager 4 shots and a pathetic 1 shot on goal.

Tito Raus!!

:thumbdown:

Theconomist

Not much has been said about his cancer however what I can tell you is that thyroid cancers when detected early are one of the most treatable. He's got a very good 5 year survival rate chance however people who've had thyroid cancer are at very high risk of developping other cancers within 10 years of starting the chemotherapy.

I wish him good luck with his health but even without taking that into account he definitely isn't the manager for Barcelona beyond a season or two more.

Thierry

Not much has been said about his cancer however what I can tell you is that thyroid cancers when detected early are one of the most treatable. He's got a very good 5 year survival rate chance however people who've had thyroid cancer are at very high risk of developping other cancers within 10 years of starting the chemotherapy.

I wish him good luck with his health but even without taking that into account he definitely isn't the manager for Barcelona beyond a season or two more.

Who is in charge of FIRING..?

Tito needs to GET SACKED..... Period....!!!

those who feel sorry for him being sick and all can do that after he packs his bag at his cottage somewhere.

If ever we are to revamp a side that contests our dominance in Europe football, we need a 100% fit manager on the job, every day.
If ever we intend to keep biting nails and creating EUROPE THRASHING HISTORY to go beyond 7 - 0 at Semi final stages....then Tito is our man.

You Choose.
Its that simple for me really.

Garrus

He doesn't have thyroid cancer, He suffered from 'Pleomorphic adenoma', A tumor of the parotid gland.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

those who feel sorry for him being sick and all can do that after he packs his bag at his cottage somewhere.

If ever we are to revamp a side that contests our dominance in Europe football, we need a 100% fit manager on the job, every day.
If ever we intend to keep biting nails and creating EUROPE THRASHING HISTORY to go beyond 7 - 0 at Semi final stages....then Tito is our man.

You Choose.

He deserves much better than this, show some respect please

Moe-23

You Choose.

sack him and bring who? please explain to me anyone else other then guardiola that understands our team as well as tito. He just needs a couple of good signings ove the summer and the team will be fine. relax a little will ya?

Thierry

Regardless of everything,

Can it really happen for real...that FCB rids off Tito..?
I mean, Camp Nou's hiring/firing is not exactly like RMA's or anything. and this is not what I intend for us either.

Simply the fact that we fear this man's Health likely to deteriorate next season should be enough to relieve him of his duties.

Yes, he's a good natured person. I have nothing against him at that.
The bottom line is we need surety and 100% dedication for next season.

Tito failed to motivate players...and just to say the least....win the home leg.
How do you defend a manager with over 180 minutes played at high level Europe competition and Zero goals converted..? How do you defend a manager with talent less than that what Pep had at a Final match of Rome, and still not able to create a difference..?
Come to think of it, Pep was always the manager and he was always the assistant...He never deserved the top honours. The whole Pep departure was all so sudden and maybe dramatised that way to avoid space and time for other coaches to tend their offers, making it easy for Tito to come in.

What does Sandro say about all this past 3 weeks..? Does he just smile and wishes everything will be fine.?
It is a live wire to consider, but if you 'd asked me....We are at crucial cross-roads right now.
-One way leads to Topplement
-The other to Revampment.

spring

sack him and bring who? please explain to me anyone else other then guardiola that understands our team as well as tito. He just needs a couple of good signings ove the summer and the team will be fine. relax a little will ya?

oh My Good God! even 7 goal wasn't enough for this guy! he ruined our team, our players, our pride, our philosophy! really is this football tiki-taka? it's just passing and passing and passing to hell! our liga is because of messi and no anyone else!

Thierry

He deserves much better than this, show some respect please

Deco 20,
excuse the sarcasm.

my point is, no one is certain about Tito's health, and I'm not the one to take on a risk to have him coach a top side in a hospital bed again.
I can never feel more sorry for him and his well-being, but at the same time, he failed to show enough respect and motivate players to convert a single consolation goal let alone to win a home leg. Yes, its a tall order to ask a side and overcome a huge deficit.
Its high time everyone begins to think with their heads and realise that we are dealing with a RISK here.

Thierry

This argument sounds like we are heading the Arsenal route.
No, we just need a couple of signings here and there to fix it for next season, but the problem remains apparent "THE COACH"
Fine, it is highly probable we shall find those signings, How certain are we that this man will not be incapacitated over a 6 months or so..?
May I admit, the crew we had last night was well capable to winning a home leg. Never discount that.
This is Barcelona we are talking about.
These players have won it all.... and more... well over 13 trophies both local and continental..its not the type you motivate with "oh keep trying and we'll get there" songs. Their mental capacity has been streched passed those basic inspirations. If you look closely, our pace of play has dropped dramatically, our passing has become more "PASS TO THE BACK" than MEANINGFULL as it once was. Everyone waits for Messi to come on before they wake up.

The team is mentally tired and need to be refresh with new ideas. (I'm saying innovate, not re-invent anything) and for that we need a fresh manager to bring it.

As to who can come in...Honestly, anyone who's got something to prove can manage Barcelona. We were never going to see Pep at Bayern if he was never given a chance to lead a team, even despite he was so young and many of us here had doubts. So, your question is sounds very fearing and insecure. There are willing and capable managers out there (even maybe uknown to the masses) that we can consider.

Trying to relax at this time as FCB fan is probably the most difficult thing to do & I'm sure you will agree, i got phones ringing, text messages like you wont' believe how everyone hates us and loves it we broke world records in a 7-0 thrashing, e-mails not finding endings...the works...but I will be fine...but at moment, we need to find a new coach.

just agree with me.
You will thank me later.

Home of Barca Fans