[vBookie] Would you like a Barca Matches betting system on the forum?

Would you like a Barca Matches betting system on the forum?

• Total voters

Bertus

Recieved two requests recently, one about the MOTM thread, and one about the prediction system we currently have.

One is easier to make a reality because already fully developed, it's called vBookie for VBulletin.

- A selected usergroup can easily create Football Bets for each Barca games (but not restricted to barca games only. It's all up to Bojan, Flavia etc.).
- Members can place their bets using ingame points.
It would ease the life of the ones that are in charge of the prediction league since now it would kind of be automated.

Since it's a big modification of the forum, I want to hear about what most of you think about it before taking further steps.

So are you interested?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Sure. Why not. Add some signature/avatar challenges and it will garner a lot of lel moments.

Although with vBookie you bet virtual cash. Some might bet more, some less and in the end win more, less, lose more, less..... With the current prediction system you earn points for right prediction, scorer etc which is cool as well with S2K doing a great job, even though I've not managed to get a prediction right for a long time :lol:

Last edited:

Bertus

Sure. Why not. Add some signature/avatar challenges and it will garner a lot of lel moments.

Although with vBookie you bet virtual cash. Some might bet more, some less and in the end win more, less, lose more, less..... With the current prediction system you earn points for right prediction, scorer etc which is cool as well with S2K doing a great job, even though I've not managed to get a prediction right for a long time :lol:

I never said I plan to use the default vBookie.

Depending on the time I can put in, I plan to mod/hack it a bit.

At the very least I plan to do that:

• - Dedicated to football games only.
  • - You don't bet. You predict a win/loss/draw.
  • - You don't use points/cash/etc. to bet.
  • - No odds system. That would be too complicated for lots of members. One of vBookie big failures is that lots of people just don't get how it works, so in the end only the die hard players use it. I don't want that.
  • - You win 3 points (for example) if you get a prediction right.
  • - We reset the players ladder every seasons.

If I have time to do more, I'll do it. If not, that will be the rules for the next season.

That's why I need to know if you guys want it or not, because I don't want to waste time developping something that you don't want in the end.

Last edited:

Alik

At the very least I plan top do that:

• - No odds system. That would be too complicated for lots of members. One of vBookie big failures is that lots of people just don't get how it works, so in the end only the die hard players use it. I don't want that.

If I have time to do more, I'll do it. If not, that will be the rules for the next season.

Sounds great!

hardyboy

At the very least I plan to do that:

That's why I need to know if you guys want it or not, because I don't want to waste time developping something that you don't want in the end.
cash system would be a lot more fun than points system imo...

Bertus

cash system would be a lot more fun than points system imo...
Here's my personal opinion on this matter:

I don't think so because it usually shrinks the players userbase.

Also, lots of players are bad at managing their cash.

You have plenty that just do an all-in on each bet.

Also, those that reach 0 cash either can't bet or are given a base amount that they usually just spend right away because they start to not give a f*ck about it anymore.

Therefore, those who tend to not understand all the details usually give up at some point while the ones (usually very few people) that are very good at "betting" and calculating odds usually get the top spots.

That's why I personally think that making it very easy to understand and play is the key to get the greatest number of members to participate throughout the whole season.

As I said above, at the moment I plan to reprogram it as a Prediction League, not a Betting/booking League like it is by default.

Of course it's still up in the air, and depending on you guys' inputs, I'll choose what to do after a good talk with Bojan, Flavia and XMG.

Last edited:

Kohe321

I think this sounds like a really cool idea! I support the notion of making it as simple as possible as well, because as you say if there is a low barrier of entry more people are likely to start playing and also stick with it. It's not fun if there's only a few playing at the end of the season. That would kind of defeat the whole point of it, as well as not being worth the effort to implement.

Last edited:

Alik

As I said above, at the moment I plan to reprogram it as a Prediction League, not a Betting/booking League like it is by default.

Of course it's still up in the air, and depending on you guys' inputs, I'll choose what to do after a good talk with Bojan, Flavia and XMG.

Yeah, I'd personally like to see it like the current set up, but automated. i.e. No betting/money.

Same for man of the match.

(This is for the sake of the people who are currently updating. If they are fine with keeping on doing it then great.)

Bertus

Yeah, I'd personally like to see it like the current set up, but automated. i.e. No betting/money.

Same for man of the match.

(This is for the sake of the people who are currently updating. If they are fine with keeping on doing it then great.)
S2K1985 will not lose his job, it will only make it way easier and the prediction league will not be only restricted to Barca games anymore.

I plan to create a usergroup of members in charge of creating the prediction events.

S2K1985 will lead said usergroup if Bojan is ok with it. He deserves it.

Last edited:

Bertus

Installed vbookie this morning on my home server.

I managed to re-code a good part of what I wanted to do (see above) (wasn't that hard since the it's very well coded and very easy to understand).

I don't think I'll have the time to match the current system (with goals predictions), but the base system is already done.

Here an example (when creating a CL game it plays the UCL theme music in the background, I might remove it, that was just for the lulz :rofl1: )

f7sb.png
[/IMG]

- Changed the odds/cash system in a Points system with no penalty for bad predictions (you just win 0 pts when you don't win).
- Changed the system of vote completely.
- Re-coded a part of the pages because it was all about betting, not about a predictions league. Still need to finish the ladder because there's no real ladder by default.
- Added Theme based on the group of events in which an event is created (as you can see in this pic, creating an UCL prediction triggers the UCL theme)

I might install a beta version (dunno when tho), to tweak it a bit before the next season starts.

Bertus

Ladder and Stats pages are done.

Only need to now do a good CSS so it's nice to the eyes.

Once the forum database is saved (dunno when atm), we will make some real tests on the forum before the next season starts :tito:

Home of Barca Fans