Van der Wiel or Bartra, Dalmau, Montoya

Who You think we should get as a Backup for Alves RB?

• Ven Der Wiel

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Promote some one from cantera Bartra, montoya, Dalmau

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters

mike2334a

Who would you get? well id we get Van der Wiel then bye bye to youth RB's cause hes only 22 and he will porlly take over Alves one day if everythings works out good in the future and by then Bartra, Dalmau, montoya wil be gone and they'll prolly in their 20's. And how many games is Van der Wiel you think is going to play what 4,5 , my choice would be just promote someone that will learn from alves and then take over in the future!

Last edited:

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
Promote a Cantera player..... Van der Wiel needs to play lots of games at this stage of his career to improve and won't be able to as a backup for Alves. Also, I believe our own players will do just fine :)

beef-supreme

The problem is that the Cantera players you have mentioned are far too inexperienced to play a first team role, they barely get into Barca Atletic, they play for Juvenil A mainly. Except for Bartra but Bartra is mainly a CB..

desoe

Azpilicueta is also an option for our board, I believe.

And about the poll: I can't say. I can't comment players I'm not aware of. But speaking of Azpilicueta, compared to Van der Wiel - he has the La Liga experience, of course. Plus, a player who was a part of Spain's preliminary WC squad can't be bad.

The problem is that the Cantera players you have mentioned are far too inexperienced to play a first team role, they barely get into Barca Atletic, they play for Juvenil A mainly. Except for Bartra but Bartra is mainly a CB..

Yes, but these guys won't have a first team role in the way it sounds. (as a starter or something)
Remember that the main idea is to have someone for an Alves back up. And if Alves is missing in an important moment and Pep feels that Bartra/Montoya/Dalmau/Muniesa or whoever else can't deal with it, we have our universal soldier covering all types of holes - Carles Puyol :D

It's true that experience is more important for defenders than midfielders or attackers, but Barca's season offers a lot of good moments for the youngsters, like 1/2 of the Camp Nou games for example. Where everything goes pretty smooth and the young guns won't play under a big pressure.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Van der Wiel will be Barça material within 3 years, I think, but for now I think having Puyol will be enough to cover for Alves. Alves plays 98 per cent of our matches, so we don't need a real replacement. If Alves would get injured, it's another story, though.

-zlatan-

The Magnificent Nose
Van der Wiel will be Barça material within 3 years, I think, but for now I think having Puyol will be enough to cover for Alves. Alves plays 98 per cent of our matches, so we don't need a real replacement. If Alves would get injured, it's another story, though.

Yeah i agree Puyol plays great at RB

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Of course we should promote someone from La Masia... but until he's ready, we should buy someone with more experience to give time to rest do Daniel Alves.

i voted for Van Der Viel because our cantera right backs are really young anyway, and if Alves gets injured were in a bad situation, and Azpilicueta would be more expensive, it looks really likely he is going to come and if our board really likes him he must be good and he is attacking so against smaller teams we will still have a big attacking threat and he has a wicked shot also but that it beside the point lol

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Puyol is there to cover so there's no need for a costly backup for Dani. So play Bartra or whoever in those Copa matches. No need for the Dutchman.

TheMessiShow

There is a reason why when our team defense was in shambles Pep choose Jeffren over the youngsters. There's also a reason why Pep wants cover for Dani Alves. Youth just aren't at the right level yet

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I don't know the Dutch kid very well at all but spent a lot of time over this weekend checking out his highlights & vids...Nice looking player whose stock is rising and would likely fit into what Barca does.

But, I still say that with a player like Dani ahead of him a backup isn't really going to see a whole lot of playing time...Which, for me, says it's smarter & cheaper to promote from within...I mean, Dalmau & Bartra certainly have the pedigree to see first team minutes

desoe

There is a reason why when our team defense was in shambles Pep choose Jeffren over the youngsters. There's also a reason why Pep wants cover for Dani Alves. Youth just aren't at the right level yet

This was for then, for the exact moment. Picking someone who seems ready and working with him for the whole summer could change a lot of things.

Home of Barca Fans