U17 World Cup 2023

Messi983

FIFA-Launches-Logo-Mascot-of-U-17-World-Cup-Indonesia-2023.jpg

u17-world-cup-draw-v0-j2hui1m2nfob1.webp

FIFA-U-17-World-Cup-schedule.png

Messi983

U17 World Cup starts today in Indonesia.

9 Barca players will participate. Noah Darvich for Germany and Marc Guiu, Pau Prim, Héctor Fort, Pau Cubarsí, Andrés Cuenca, Marc Bernal, Quim Junyent and Juan Hernández for Spain.

Besides them some other interesting players, especially in that Brazil team. Likes of Rayan, Kaua Elias and Estevao Willian "Messinho" were all already linked to Barca. And then ofc Echeverri from Argentina. @soul24rage Heard good things about Quedraogo too so look forward to see him play.

Clearly other players will make a name for themselves as well as it always happens in these tournaments.

I think all games will be streamed on FIFA+.

Good to see three of our kids amongst the top 10 most valuable players.

most-valuable-players-u17-world-cup-1699566768-121569.png

Porque

FiFa is making this an annual tournament after this one. Not sure how I feel about that.

But anyways, Spain vs Canada at 13:00CET so be interesting to see how the Spain coach rates our players.

Bernal for example wasn't part of the U17 Euro squad a few months back iirc, but is now clearly ahead of Prim.

Spain as always will be among the favourites but probably fall to a more physically developed team.

Be interesting to see if Estevao can dominate his piers. Brazil must be favourites, especially with Kaui and Rayan being absolutely huge.

Messi983

FiFa is making this an annual tournament after this one. Not sure how I feel about that.

I get it. Lot of "lost generations" who never get a chance to play in this tournament if only every 4 years. Bi-annual tournaments would be better though.

Also don't quite like this new system with mini tournaments.

From 2024 the tournament will take place annually and will have 48 participating teams divided into 4 'mini-tournaments' of 12 teams each divided into 3 groups of 4 with the winners and best runner up qualifying to the MT semi-finals and the 2 winners qualifying to the final. The winner of each MT would qualify to a 'final four' tournament with 2 semi-finals, a third place match and a final to decide the FIFA U17 World Champions.

I understand FIFA wants to give a chance to players from less developed football countries against top teams but don't think there are 48 teams worthy to compete in "real" World Cup let alone in this age group. Affraid this will lead to teams like Brazil trash Vanuatu 12-0 or something which doesn't really benefit anyone.

Porque

Agreed on the mini tournaments. We already have the Euro U17 for example happening a few months before which acts as qualifiers for the world cup itself.

Same with the SA tourny so the Mini tournaments serves no functional use bar getting countries like Indonesia to invest more in their infrastructure and more fees to Fifa.

Messi983

Raúl Jiménez; Héctor Fort, Dani Muñoz, Jon Martín, Pau Cubarsí, Pau Prim, Pablo López, Marc Guiu, Juan Hernández, Quim Junyent y Yáñez.

Six Barca players in starting XI against Canada, Cuenca and Bernal on the bench.

Andresito

Staff member
Lots of well known names. Not going to be watching games unless it's Spain vs Brazil in the final tho.
@Porque @Messi983 feel free to update on our boys if you're watching.

I see Marc Guiu scored Spain's opener.

Messi983

Fifa plus stream is pretty laggy for me, don't know how much patience I'll have to watch if won't improve.

Porque

Lots of well known names. Not going to be watching games unless it's Spain vs Brazil in the final tho.
@Porque @Messi983 feel free to update on our boys if you're watching.

I see Marc Guiu scored Spain's opener.

I will do gods work good sir.

Quim got the 2nd but I didn't watch second half.

Damn, already failed.

Porque

Fifa plus stream is pretty laggy for me, don't know how much patience I'll have to watch if won't improve.

The commentator said that he welcomed all viewers from all corners of the world watching. So that's an open invite for an illegal stream in my book.

Home of Barca Fans