Trent Alexander-Arnold

gasgas

I wanted to defend him (Semedo) but then i realized i will be defending a multimillionaire while i'm yet to move out of my grandpa's house, so i stopped

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Trent is at worst level with Kimmich as the best RB in the world. He's comfortably the best passer of the ball at RB, but worse than Kimmich off the ball. Against Spurs he had 7 key passes and 14 long balls completed, ridiculous numbers.

I said before that he's the most talented offensive RB to come around since the days of prime Alves. He's already got 1 season under his belt with iconic performances and historical assist numbers and he's still only 21. MOTM in one of the greatest UCL comebacks in history against us. These are not ordinary feats and those passes he's making on the pitch aren't ordinary either.

Alves wasn't even a RB really, he was a #10 who just fancied playing from the back. He played striker several times for Sao Paulo this season. He's just a great attacker who can play pretty much anywhere bar the left side.

Carlos said several times Marcelo's levels above him in terms of raw skill. Don't really see the reason to argue, it's clear to anyone who watched either of the two play who's been a more influential player during their time. Alba is probably the only guy who comes close to Marcelo in terms of being an MVP playmaker left back. As defenders many were better than any of them, but you'd never pick them to win a game of football. Marcelo is in the very same mould as Alves, but less systematic.

Not sure of the point of ranking one over the other. It's like saying Ronaldinho wasn't a GOAT level talent because he performed for 3 seasons and got bored. Or that Ronaldo wasn't one because of his knees and having weight issues.

[MENTION=26762]Copperpot[/MENTION]
It really is quite common to have fullbacks register key passes in teams playing any iteration of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Again, if he has more key passes, he probably has more passes than many midfielders. Not that unusual on that level. It's part of Liverpool's success given their midfielders are mostly brute grafters with inhumane endurance, but you don't really want them to be on the ball all that often.

Carlos is a RM ambassador and a humble guy. It's his job to big up Madrid players. He was a degree better than Marcelo. That's why in his 14 year career for Brazil he picked up 125 caps whilst Marcelo has only 58 in the same time span. Unfortunately, Felipe Luis and Alex Sandro took 63 caps off Marcelo in that time. Hardly world beaters .

Ron and R9 won the world cup and had great international careers. Marcelo for Brazil has been average and that's generous. You can't compare R9 whose years were ravaged by injury to someone who had years of poor form, that's not reasonable.

Marcelo is just a guy that was the best left back in the world for maybe 3 years and unremarkable the rest of the time. Not a sniff near GOAT level. Not sure where this massive overating of Marcelo has come from though you do have a tendency to overate Madrid players. But then again some here think Cr7 is better than Maradona so you get all sorts.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Ronnie having only 3 years of prime is not the same as Marcelo having only 3 - Ronnie drank it away; whereas Marcelo was just not good enough; it took him years to start performing at the level he does now and it won't go on much further, hopefully! It's a joke to say he is/was better than Dani. To put things in perspective, he effectively did not even have a strong player to compete with at the NT and still only has half as many appearances as Dani who had a monster in Maicon to compete with for close to a decade!

KingLeo10

The words Trent and Alves should not be put in the same sentence ... ever. Trent is good at crossing. Alves mastered all aspects of being a full back. He made the whole right side his own.

Marcelo is not even close to GOAT level either. He's only had 4 years max at a high level and even those were nothing ground breaking. Compared to a player like Roberto Carlos , I don't see any facet of football Marcelo does better tbh.

It's also clear that Alba has been more consistent, more successful and just as good in his prime if not better.

lol Marcelo's performance v Bayern in 16/17 was other worldly. There's also the Atletico ties, and the Juve ties where he was lethal.

Alves is a shade better for longevity and better defense but in terms of attacking Marcelo is easily one of the best ever FBs.

serghei

Arnold is almost effective like Alves was. Alves was a different level in terms of individual skill though and in defense he was a pit bull that was nearly impossible to beat in 1 vs 1. I rememer Alves in his prime shutting out Ronaldo repeatedly, and he did that without sacrificing his offensive output.

Alves was the best fullback of his generation bar none. Every single thing he had it. Talent, work ethic, muscle, great engine, dribbling, vision, great associative play, genius factor, defensive prowess. Arnold matches Alves well in most of these, but in other areas he is incomparable.

KingLeo10

Arnold is almost effective like Alves was. Alves was a different level in terms of individual skill though and in defense he was a pit bull that was nearly impossible to beat in 1 vs 1. I rememer Alves in his prime shutting out Ronaldo repeatedly, and he did that without sacrificing his offensive output.

Alves was the best fullback of his generation bar none. Every single thing he had it. Talent, work ethic, muscle, great engine, dribbling, vision, great associative play, genius factor, defensive prowess. Arnold matches Alves well in most of these, but in other areas he is incomparable.

Way ahead of Busquets as the 4th most important player of the 08-15 run. 3 CLs, 5 Ligas in 7 years.

ASordidGod

Er, which of these attributes does TAA match him in exactly? That people are seriously comparing the two is insane. (not talking about you specifically btw.) TAA isn't even England's undisputed right back ffs. And last season I swear I can remember him being dropped for big games because defensively he's pretty poor as of right now. Like I said before, he's got insane delivery, but his all round game needs a lot of work for him to be talked about as one of the best right backs, and that's in an era with an incredibly low bar in terms of competition even.

Yannik

With respect i think it is quite uncommon, in the Premier League only Kevin De Bruyne has more key passes per game than Alexander-Arnold (a right back) this season, that is not a common stat at all!

Marcelo has been a beast of a LB for years, so there's still a long way to go for TAA to get to that level, but there's been a dime a dozen Marcelo's in football. Trent-Alexander style is unusual, in the same way Roberto Carlos was/is unusual.

It's not that uncommon. As I said with the example Kimmich, he has the same profile as Trent, pinging cross field passes left and right, fantastic crossing and is also constantly at the top of Europes leaderboard in keypass and assist statistics. His build up play and passing is rated enough for more than one coach to push him into midfield, which I think is kinda wasted on him.

This whole playing style is not unusual or unique, it's practiced by several. There's simply some who do it better than others. Lahm was the same, a sort of "architect/deep playmaker" with overlap runs. But what made Lahm unique however and truly set him apart from anyone else was his defensive quality. He wasn't only worldclass in possession, but just as good if not better without it. And a polyvalence on such a level is something that 99% of fullbacks don't have, Trent (and Kimmich) included. And Roberto Carlos was also guilty of that, mainly just a weapon upfront but not really a factor defensively. Obviously still special lol, but unique? Cafú was unique. He had it all.

Last edited:

Copperpot

Banned
It's not that uncommon. As I said with the example Kimmich, he has the same profile as Trent, pinging cross field passes left and right, fantastic crossing and is also constantly at the top of Europes leaderboard in keypass and assist statistics. His build up play and passing is rated enough for more than one coach to push him into midfield, which I think is kinda wasted on him.

This whole playing style is not unusual or unique, it's practiced by several. There's simply some who do it better than others. Lahm was the same, a sort of "architect/deep playmaker" with overlap runs. But what made Lahm unique however and truly set him apart from anyone else was his defensive quality. He wasn't only worldclass in possession, but just as good if not better without it. And a polyvalence on such a level is something that 99% of fullbacks don't have, Trent (and Kimmich) included. And Roberto Carlos was also guilty of that, mainly just a weapon upfront but not really a factor defensively. Obviously still special lol, but unique? Cafú was unique. He had it all.

Lahm was great. I think TAA can do something similar in moving to midfield some point in his career (or when needed). Kimmech whilst i like him, i don't see greatness in him as i do with TAA and this is coming from a United fan, praising a Liverpool player. I don't think we'll be talking about Kimmech in 20 years as people do with the likes of Alves/Carlos.

Cafu for me wasn't as good as Alves. Carlos was my fav ever full back, his crossing, his shooting and his dynamism and pace is what made him unique and there's been no one like him since including Alves, sure he was a bit suspect at times in terms of defending but the guy was unique and as said i (and i know a few others) see this 'uniqueness' in TAA, all be it different aspects. Lahm/Kimmich/Alves/Marcelo all can't/couldn't pass and cross the way TAA does and he's so dynamic.

Last edited:
Lahm was great. I think TAA can do something similar in moving to midfield some point in his career (or when needed). Kimmech whilst i like him, i don't see greatness in him as i do with TAA and this is coming from a United fan, praising a Liverpool player. I don't think we'll be talking about Kimmech in 20 years as people do with the likes of Alves/Carlos.

Cafu for me wasn't as good as Alves. Carlos was my fav ever full back, his crossing, his shooting and his dynamism and pace is what made him unique and there's been no one like him since including Alves, sure he was a bit suspect at times in terms of defending but the guy was unique and as said i (and i know a few others) see this 'uniqueness' in TAA, all be it different aspects. Lahm/Kimmich/Alves/Marcelo all can't/couldn't pass and cross the way TAA does and he's so dynamic.

No one will talk about Marcelo or Trent 20 yrs after they finish either. Good full backs but not on the level of Carlos and Alves. Both were so good attacking people thought that meant thry couldn't defend but they both could and amazingly well.

GOAT level full backs for Brazil do not let Felipe Luis and Alex Sandro have more caps than them, despite a great 3 years. GOAT level full backs for Brazil have 100 caps and swarm the competition. Alves and Carlos eat at their own table.

Copperpot

Banned
Ernesto GOATverde Tejedor;2118626[B said:
]No one will talk about[/B] Marcelo or Trent 20 yrs after they finish either. Good full backs but not on the level of Carlos and Alves. Both were so good attacking people thought that meant thry couldn't defend but they both could and amazingly well.

GOAT level full backs for Brazil do not let Felipe Luis and Alex Sandro have more caps than them, despite a great 3 years. GOAT level full backs for Brazil have 100 caps and swarm the competition. Alves and Carlos eat at their own table.

How can you be so sure? TAA just turned 21 this month and as said previously already played 2 Champions League finals, he already has a legacy and a pedigree even if doesn't improve any more, which i highly doubt. He's certainly better at 20 than both Alves and Carlos ever was. Kimmich is a little bit older and had a few more seasons than TAA, so we can judge him and his potential a little more, but he's still young, so i might be wrong about him.

Also want to point out Alves (whilst i like him and respect what he did in his time at Barcelona) doesn't have much of a legacy outside Barcelona, not in the same way as Roberto Carlos who is renowned everywhere as an all-time great, people will still be watching Roberto Carlos highlights and his goals in 50 years time. But Alves didn't do great at Juventus and didn't do great at PSG, he's tribal legend (ie:- legend just among Barcelona fans) and also won't be talked about in 20 years outside Spain/Brazil.

Home of Barca Fans