Thomas Muller

Yannik

even if it's out of context, this is some borderline xenophobic bullshit response by that sammarinese twat. He's just blatantly throwing out cringeworthy slurs & insults and assumptions, goes all in against a whole nation when the supposed adressant was only a single guy and all that from someone who is supposed to be a countrys press officer. Even if Müller had actually called San Marino unprofessional, which we know he did not, then such a response would only be approving that. That guy completely blew it in the 15minutes fame he had.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Müller: Fundamentally this is hard to answer. For San Marino this match, playing against the world champions, is a highlight. From us a win is expected, which is perfectly clear. We have completely different means. You could definitely raise the concern, that there's a certain risk to a match like this on a grimy/sleazy pitch like todays - even though it looked fine at the start - and with an opponent with a certain playstyle, which perhaps isn't necessary. The romanticist says: Matches like this are part of it, for the small countries. On the other hand it's very cumbersome, when you have to deal with a playstyle like this. And I do understand the San Marinese. They always looked at me. They have to run the clock down, so it doesn't end up... they did everything in their means, but this didn't have much to do with professional football. That's difficult to decide.

If this is what he actually said, still pretty bad in my opinion. If he knows it is part of the game and especially for smaller countries this is big, why complaining (regardless of whether he was asked by the press or not)?

Also, what did KHR actually say? I am interested in finding out. He has been complaining about NT schedule for a long time, hasn't he? The thing is, Buli teams play less games compared to their La Liga and EPL counterparts, and Bayern already has a grip on the league title already, what is he complaining about?

I have to agree with Yannik that the San Marinese guy went overboard with #4 and #10. Not necessary.

Yannik

If this is what he actually said, still pretty bad in my opinion. If he knows it is part of the game and especially for smaller countries this is big, why complaining (regardless of whether he was asked by the press or not)?

Don't see what's supposedly bad about this. He gives light on both perspectives: He points out that those games are a great event for fans of minows, but also says that on the other hand from the perspective of the athletes these fictures are stressful and poise unnecessary injury risks. He's being completely rational there, you see players and coaches complaining about their schedule everywhere. Call that a "complaint" but he's simply voicing a very popular opinion among players, yet he still didn't ask to be dropped from that game which shows his professional additude, despite his unhappyness.

Also, what did KHR actually say? I am interested in finding out. He has been complaining about NT schedule for a long time, hasn't he? The thing is, Buli teams play less games compared to their La Liga and EPL counterparts, and Bayern already has a grip on the league title already, what is he complaining about?

Don't know what KHR said but I guess it was also something about packed schedules. BuLi teams play 4 less games in total compared to other leagues over the course of the year. Then there's also cup games, Spain has 2 legged ties, England 2 tournaments. That's not really saying a lot though because 1st division teams field youngsters and subs in more than half of those. Germans also field their first teams in international tournies more often, while spanish teams send B-teams into EL group stage while english teams dont send a serious squad into anything below an EL semifinal. It evens each other out, in the end you have first teamers from everywhere will have around 45-55 caps or so in total. BuLi has tons and tons of injuries, specially the big teams who play a lot so they're just as much in a position to complain as the others.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't see what's supposedly bad about this. He gives light on both perspectives: He points out that those games are a great event for fans of minows, but also says that on the other hand from the perspective of the athletes these fictures are stressful and poise unnecessary injury risks. He's being completely rational there, you see players and coaches complaining about their schedule everywhere. Call that a "complaint" but he's simply voicing a very popular opinion among players, yet he still didn't ask to be dropped from that game which shows his professional additude, despite his unhappyness.

What I meant was why complaining about playing these games in the first place? Those minnows are equal parts of FIFA as much as the bigger countries, why shouldn't they be playing these games? If the big teams don't like the schedule they can just field their bench and reserve players since there is no suspense as to the outcome of the game anyway. What he says really smacks of condescension as if San Marino shouldn't have had the opportunity to play against Germany at all.

As to KHR, my point is why is he constantly complaining about the schedule while others from other teams and leagues have not? The other teams are equally susceptible to injuries just like Bayern does.

Yannik

What I meant was why complaining about playing these games in the first place? Those minnows are equal parts of FIFA as much as the bigger countries, why shouldn't they be playing these games? If the big teams don't like the schedule they can just field their bench and reserve players since there is no suspense as to the outcome of the game anyway. What he says really smacks of condescension as if San Marino shouldn't have had the opportunity to play against Germany at all.

The games also add to the fatigue of B-teamers. We're talking about germanys nationalteam, their subs are all first team players in their clubs with few exceptions. Same with Spain, France, Italy, England etc. Müller speaks on behalf of all of them, not just himself. He never said San Marino shouldn't have the opportunity to play such games, this is part of the misunderstanding that he later corrected.

As to KHR, my point is why is he constantly complaining about the schedule while others from other teams and leagues have not? The other teams are equally susceptible to injuries just like Bayern does.

What do you mean? Guardiola complains about it, Klopp complains about it, Mourinho complains about like on a weekly base, and those are just the popular examples, no idea which midtable managers were pointing this out without having their statements go viral. This dutch medician, I think Verheijen was his name who co-managed Wales or so, his twitter account is basically a 24/365 rant about fatigue and schedules.
Since when is the human right of having an opinion and stating it dependend on "how justified" it is? If KHR feels like complaining then let him do so. Bayern plays 50+ matches a season and fill a hospital with players. The fuck is he supposed to say? He definitely made worse statements than this one.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The games also add to the fatigue of B-teamers. We're talking about germanys nationalteam, their subs are all first team players in their clubs with few exceptions. Same with Spain, France, Italy, England etc. Müller speaks on behalf of all of them, not just himself. He never said San Marino shouldn't have the opportunity to play such games, this is part of the misunderstanding that he later corrected.

Aren't you basically saying that the big teams such as Germnay, Spain, France, Italy etc. should NOT be playing the minnow teams? Isn't that what Mueller was implying? What misunderstanding then? If you treat these smaller countries as equals then you have to play them, right? What other solution do they suggest then? These minnows should have to play qualifiers for the qualifiers? Condescending, isn't it?

On KHR, I brought him up because it was in BBC's original report that he was fanning the flame of the Mueller controversy by allegedly saying "San Marino has nothing to do with professional football" while complaining about the NT schedule. Very poor taste and poor judgement if he indeed said that (I was asking earlier what he actually said as I wanted to make sure). If he wants to complain, at least show some class.

Yannik

Aren't you basically saying that the big teams such as Germnay, Spain, France, Italy etc. should NOT be playing the minnow teams? Isn't that what Mueller was implying? What misunderstanding then? If you treat these smaller countries as equals then you have to play them, right? What other solution do they suggest then? These minnows should have to play qualifiers for the qualifiers? Condescending, isn't it?

On KHR, I brought him up because it was in BBC's original report that he was fanning the flame of the Mueller controversy by allegedly saying "San Marino has nothing to do with professional football" while complaining about the NT schedule. Very poor taste and poor judgement if he indeed said that (I was asking earlier what he actually said as I wanted to make sure). If he wants to complain, at least show some class.

why do you believe Müller actually wants to change something? Can't he just raise a concern without trying to change the sport because of it? He was being asked about the value of these games compared to the risks of injurys and he was giving an objective answer to this question, including perspectives of the pro-arguments for the spectators aswell as the contra-arguments for the players. That doesn't mean he's now trying to push San Marino out or even implying that. He basically gives just as much reasons for these games, as he gives against them. He literally concludes that it's therefor a difficult decision.

And no, Müller did not say "San Marino has nothing to do with professional football" either. Funny thing is though, even if he did: San Marino is indeed actually not a professional football team. These guys are bakers, lawyers and policemen.

Last edited:

Total-Football

people don't realise that once you become famous and rich for a long time ( couple years ) you almost loose touch with reality .. it happens to all of them .. i'm sure he didn't mean the offense , those who look like the good guys are trained to behave that way through their publicists that's it

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
So unfortunate. He's not always the most consistent, but I really like scrappy guys like him. And he really loves his club. I wonder what will happen with him.

Home of Barca Fans