Thiago Silva

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I don't know that he wasn't, but that's largely irrelevant. A single anomaly says little, your personal disagreement without sufficient argumentation to the contrary says less.

It's not an anomaly. That site is a joke. In Bayern's juggernaut season, during which Lahm played his best season as RB, that website named Carvajal (Leverkusen) Europe's and the Bundesliga's best RB.

DrPepper

What a joke. You happen to have missed a couple of key statistics in the modern CB game:

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m..._created/avg_pass_length/successful_passes#90

What a joke.

How are statistics like number of assists or number of total (lol?) passes relevant? Ridiculous to include 6(!) other statistics only about passing. The most funniest is probably passing length. Yeah, Boateng is the best because his passes are in average 2 meters longer.

Anyways, none of those stats seem to disprove Silva being the best DEFENDER.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

What a joke.

How are statistics like number of assists or number of total (lol?) passes relevant? Ridiculous to include 6(!) other statistics only about passing. The most funniest is probably passing length. Yeah, Boateng is the best because his passes are in average 2 meters longer.

Anyways, none of those stats seem to disprove Silva being the best DEFENDER.

Ridiculous NOT to include them. As a Barca fan (?), you should know that.

DrPepper

Ridiculous NOT to include them. As a Barca fan (?), you should know that.

I see you are fully commited to Pep's philosophy.

And no, I don't see any users here measuring defenders on assists or key passes as you seem to do. Doesn't make us less Barca fans.

"We should sell Pique because he doesn't play passes longer than 20 meters on average." Said no one ever...

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I see you are fully commited to Pep's philosophy.

And no, I don't see any users here measuring defenders on assists or key passes as you seem to do. Doesn't make us less Barca fans.

"We should sell Pique because he doesn't play passes longer than 20 meters on average." Said no one ever...

Well, I was involved in CB discussions here a while ago, and EVERYBODY included passing stats in their squawka comparisons.

DrPepper

Well, I was involved in CB discussions here a while ago, and EVERYBODY included passing stats in their squawka comparisons.

Can't really imagine anyone to include 7 (SEVEN) stats related to just passing when comparing defenders. That's more than I included for defending, 6.

But feel free to provide a link to the discussion you mentioned.

JamDav1982

Has Boateng not played quite a few games as right CB of a three?

In that formation you get forward as lot more on ball and play more forward passes than as a CB of two.

So would be understandable his forward passes/chances created would be better.

Watch Bartra at RCB of three against PSG and the positions he took up and how ball was used. Thats how Boateng has been when ive seen him in that position.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Can't really imagine anyone to include 7 (SEVEN) stats related to just passing when comparing defenders. That's more than I included for defending, 6.

But feel free to provide a link to the discussion you mentioned.

Right, because I got no better things to do in life :D :D

It was a discussion about who would be suited best as Barca's new primary CB buy. Was either the Mathieu or Benatia thread IIRC.

I only included said many passing related stats to make it really obvious that the "legendary" and "best ever" Thiago Silva is indeed NOT the stat leader in every department relevant to a modern day CB, as you so passionately proclaimed, when in fact he is not even the leader in all those purely classical defending stats that you provided (not saying he's bad either though ofc).

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Has Boateng not played quite a few games as right CB of a three?

In that formation you get forward as lot more on ball and play more forward passes than as a CB of two.

So would be understandable his forward passes/chances created would be better.

Watch Bartra at RCB of three against PSG and the positions he took up and how ball was used. Thats how Boateng has been when ive seen him in that position.

Not as often as you think. Bayern still play with a classical back line of four 80% of the time, especially when the shit is about to possibly hit the fan.

Jair Ventura

I get it now. Ryu is a Bayern fan, hence Boateng. I'd like to note that even the link you provided had Silva way out ahead of Boateng, whose level of play is much closer to Luiz's than it is the greatest CB of his era.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I get it now. Ryu is a Bayern fan, hence Boateng. I'd like to note that even the link you provided had Silva way out ahead of Boateng, whose level of play is much closer to Luiz's than it is the greatest CB of his era.

Believe what you will. It matters not to me. "way out ahead" is a good joke though. Thanks for the smirk.

Jair Ventura

Believe what you will. It matters not to me. "way out ahead" is a good joke though. Thanks for the smirk.

They did have him way out ahead. Silva was carrying a 20+% advantage in aerial duels for crying out loud while also leading in tackles and placing 2nd in interceptions. Keep smirking, but the proof is there in the link you provided. Boateng is more comparable to Luiz.

Home of Barca Fans