Thiago Alcantara

JamDav1982

It surely was his choice. But you cannot forget to factor Tito liked cesc a lot more, though. That influenced his decision. It was a big mistake from the club and coaches back then. They didn't try to keep him either, with board members saying it was a very good deal to sell him for 25m. Cesc being a catalan, while Thiago isn't, also influenced the outcome.

Cesc had played better in that season but Thiago was obviously the future of Barca but other players have faced that and battled through it to win their place.

But dont agree with idea that Thiago was not given minutes or opportunity to prove himself though as think he started more league games in the second half of that season than he did under Pep the previous campaign.

Saying it was a good deal was stupid as Barca had an ageing midfield that Thiago should have been taking over in coming years.

I think his head was turned more by working with Pep again than any wrong doing of Tito or club. Maybe they could have played him in a few more games to increase buy out to make it impossible but even that is a murky area to start doing.

Would take him back in a heart beat and dont put any blame on him for leaving or wanting to stay at Bayern.

F

FlaFCB

I think his head was turned more by working with Pep again than any wrong doing of Tito or club.

I think it was both. Tito's words about Thiago back then weren't exactly flattering. Zubi and the club also mishandled everything. It was after a meeting with Zubi that Thiago made up his mind, IIRC.

JamDav1982

I think it was both. Tito's words about Thiago back then weren't exactly flattering. Zubi and the club also mishandled everything. It was after a meeting with Zubi that Thiago made up his mind, IIRC.

Tito I think took the attitude players force their win into being a bigger part of the team through their performances more than anything.

For the football brain he seemed to have Tito did seem to lack a bit of personality/charisma that might have helped in that situation.

Thiago said himself he dreamed of being a footballer more than Barca player and that is fair enough he left to a better situation for him.

The only thing I argue against is that he was treated in any way badly in terms of minutes and opportunity given by Tito.

I actually think he is best to stay in Bayern now anyway as playing with this front three at Barca would not be same for him as being arguably the main figure game is built round at Bayern.

jamrock

Tito I think took the attitude players force their win into being a bigger part of the team through their performances more than anything.

For the football brain he seemed to have Tito did seem to lack a bit of personality/charisma that might have helped in that situation.

Thiago said himself he dreamed of being a footballer more than Barca player and that is fair enough he left to a better situation for him.

The only thing I argue against is that he was treated in any way badly in terms of minutes and opportunity given by Tito.

I actually think he is best to stay in Bayern now anyway as playing with this front three at Barca would not be same for him as being arguably the main figure game is built round at Bayern.

Go on ESPN.com and search the gab marcotti article on thiago, at the point where thiago left.

Where he breaks down, what again everyone with eye could see, but he used facts to back it up.

While thiago played more games under Tito, it was almost all garbage minutes.

He would point out how even when we were up and a game was over with 60+ minutes left, but Tito either wouldn't bring him on, or wait until something ridiculous like the 85th minute to give him a run out.

Which explains why even though he potentially played more games, under Tito, he still didn't reach the needed minutes to avoid the clause is his contract.

Tito and the club tried to change that towards the end of the season when it was all over the sport papers, that his clause was about to be activated.

These aren't opinions they are facts, hence why his clause could have be activated.

Player more games,but nothing but garbage minutes.

no matter how committed a player is, after a season like that and your coach coming out in the media and basically saying, I don't care, you aren't left with much hope of succeeding at your boyhood club.

Again it's all Tito and the boards fault we having to be spend 60m on garage like Gomes and running all over to find a top class midfielder.

They would have and could potentially still do the same thing with Alena too.

Talent is talent it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it.

Delou, Thiago, samper all clearly talented players.

As I keep saying what a talented player needs to excel is the right coach & tactically setup.

RIP Tito, but I really do this like the man for throwing away the future midfield of the club.

JamDav1982

He started more games in the league in the second half of that season and had injuries in first part of it.

It wasnt 'garbage minutes' and got as much as could be expected for his performances.

Alena is nothing alike and at Alenas age I dont think Thiago was playing any great amount of minutes under Pep anyway.

The likes of Samper and Duelofeu are nothing like Thiago or anywhere close to his ability.

jamrock

Thiago was getting more run outs at 18 under pep than Alena is now

Okay it's not garbage minutes, but I'll go with well respected sport writers like gab marcotti on this one and also anyone who isn't a rosell & his board loyalist.

You were saying thiago wasn't anywhere near as talented as a whole host of players when he was younger as well,so I'll just go ahead and ignore​ you and any reference to a talented player.

Grimaldo wasn't talented either.

Under different coaches no tito or Luis and a different board our team would look so different right now, while still maintaining what success we have accomplished during that time.

JamDav1982

Thiago was getting more run outs at 18 under pep than Alena is now

Okay it's not garbage minutes, but I'll go with well respected sport writers like gab marcotti on this one and also anyone who isn't a rosell & his board loyalist.

You were saying thiago wasn't anywhere near as talented as a whole host of players when he was younger as well,so I'll just go ahead and ignore​ you and any reference to a talented player.

Grimaldo wasn't talented either.

Under different coaches no tito or Luis and a different board our team would look so different right now, while still maintaining what success we have accomplished during that time.

How many games Thiago get at 18?

Couldnt care less what Marcotti said. Thiago started 12 of the 19 games in La Liga that second half of the season and that included games away to Real, Sevilla, Bilbao, Espanyol etc. He was the one who replaced an injured Xavi.

Was no garbage minutes and doesnt sound like you have a clue what you are speaking about to be honest.

What an earth are you on about me saying Thiago 'wasnt as talented' as other players?

Seem to remember you wanting the likes of Alves dumped for Montoya. So wont take your judgement too seriously either.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Aleñá doesn't necessarily need to get a run of games this aeason, but for next season a decision has to be made. Really don't want him to be loaned out. Would be better to clear up and promote or stay if Barca B gets promoted, BUT also get called up regularly.

Can't let him stay in the lower divisions for too long either.

He's the biggest talent we've had after Thiago so cannot afford another mishap in his case.

JamDav1982

Aleñá doesn't necessarily need to get a run of games this aeason, but for next season a decision has to be made. Really don't want him to be loaned out. Would be better to clear up and promote or stay if Barca B gets promoted, BUT also get called up regularly.

Can't let him stay in the lower divisions for too long either.

He's the biggest talent we've had after Thiago so cannot afford another mishap in his case.

Alena should be promoted unless the B team go up and his time is split between the two squads. Loaning him or keeping almost exclusively to B team shouldnt really be an option. There needs to be shown a quick route to first team squad for players performing at his level.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
One can argue the circumstances of Thiago's minutes in 12/13 all they want, but one crucial circumstance that arose at the end was the contract clause. The league was won with 5 games to spare and it was the easiest thing in the world to prevent Thiago's buyout from going down. It was a true ultimatum really, if you wanted to keep him then the ONLY logical step was to take those measures to fulfill his minutes and keep him. Purely as simple as that. The choice not to do so topped off every prior decision that showed Thiago that the club did not prioritize him at all. He met with Tito and seeked assurances but was offered none. And the board were content with his departure as per their own quotes.

To me, this is simply stupid business. The foreboding midfield issues were clear for Barcelona from the outset, that season showed many weaknesses. What is the reason for giving up a player with a clear abundance of talent that would 90% likely grow/improve in the coming years while others like the aging Xavi and Iniesta would inevitably decline? Cesc as well had demonstrated in the 2nd half of the season that he was at risk of being a bust. You're just tossing a valuable commodity, even if you're just thinking in monetary terms and not about the footballing impact. Why the haste as well? Why not wait a year to see if the player you deem to be a mediocre 'squad player' can be worth something more and then lower his buyout if they really just wanted to cash in? It's not rational.

Just recently I saw that Ancelotti has said that there's no way Renato Sanches or Joshua Kimmich would leave this summer. He hasn't offered them many minutes this season and transfer rumors have popped up. Yet Ancelotti was steadfast that they are staying and the club was explicit in their measure that Sanches would be offered the chance to fill the position left by Alonso and Kimmich for Lahm. Two positions that they know they need to fill with talented and relatively young players. They could ditch either or both of them next year if they don't live up to expectations, but as of now the club feel that those two are the best options. Renato is an inferior talent than Thiago was at the time he left Barca, while Kimmich is vastly inferior. Neither of them are prized youth players from the academy either. And on top of this, If Renato left then Bayern would still have prime Thiago and Vidal (two top 5 midfielders in the world), plus a very great midfielder in Alaba, and others like Muller/Martinez/etc. Barca were left with old Xavi/Iniesta/Busi/Cesc/Song. And they didn't even properly replace him with a transfer, as we can see to this day. Barca at the time did not have nearly the midfield strength/depth that Bayern do now to even consider giving up key youth players. Yet Bayern are smart and know that they will not let them go easily unless they prove to be incapable after being given a chance. At which point after, the club could pursue its interests and replace them with someone better. Bottom line is you don't sell good and necessary players unless they no longer are good or necessary.

jamrock

Well said Andres, anyone with a bit of foresight could have seen the talent thiago had, and all they had to do was give him the needed minutes to avoid his clause and well as give him a confidence boost, and they didn't.

But some fans believe anything the board does is right, so they supported one of the worst decisions in the club's recent history.

JamDav1982

Well said Andres, anyone with a bit of foresight could have seen the talent thiago had, and all they had to do was give him the needed minutes to avoid his clause and well as give him a confidence boost, and they didn't.

But some fans believe anything the board does is right, so they supported one of the worst decisions in the club's recent history.

Nope the argument is against the idea he was treated badly or given 'trash minutes' which is not true.

From there whether the board should have made Tito play him to increase the clause is another argument. That and whether the could have done more to try and persuade him to stay.

Thiago took the escape route as he could be a starter for Pep and probably the money too. No one forced him to leave.

Has nothing to do with the board who let him go too cheaply in my opinion.

Home of Barca Fans