Thiago Alcantara

Rory

I dont oppose that, we just disagree where and in which form that competition should come from.

Another example: we wouldnt buy a worldclass striker to compete with prime Suarez. Maybe a bit extreme of an example, because midfield spots are more felxible, but the point still stands. But, well, more a matter of opinion I guess. I would rather have us go for someone like Bruno Guimaraes than Thiago if both would cost the same.

Don't want to be pedantic but that's an awful example. Prime Suarez was the best striker of his generation if not a close 2nd. So of course we don't buy a striker like that in his prime to compete with him. Pjanic is a top 30 midfielder in his generation but is not in what can be considered his prime. Busquets is definitely not in his prime although he was of course the best cdm of his generation, Frenkie we are yet to see but looks like he can be anywhere from top 30 to best of his generation, who knows. Thiago is probably a better player than Pjanic so signing him for the cm spot makes sense. The initial signing that makes no sense is signing Pjanic at all but we know that only occurred because the board ruined our finances. Doesn't mean we have to settle for Pjanic starting every single game for us now. I'd hope that's not the case

mc_lovin

Don't want to be pedantic but that's an awful example. Prime Suarez was the best striker of his generation if not a close 2nd. So of course we don't buy a striker like that in his prime to compete with him. Pjanic is a top 30 midfielder in his generation but is not in what can be considered his prime. Busquets is definitely not in his prime although he was of course the best cdm of his generation, Frenkie we are yet to see but looks like he can be anywhere from top 30 to best of his generation, who knows. Thiago is probably a better player than Pjanic so signing him for the cm spot makes sense. The initial signing that makes no sense is signing Pjanic at all but we know that only occurred because the board ruined our finances. Doesn't mean we have to settle for Pjanic starting every single game for us now. I'd hope that's not the case

As I said, a rather extreme example. With Thiago here the dressing room would have burned to the ground after a few weeks, which can be positive as well. Maybe my problem is that I am not in the doom and gloom phase like most fans right now. I am very happy with Pjanic-Busquets-Frenkie for next season and would rather have us go for a striker+CB.

Thiago vs Pjanic would have been interesting when we had to make a choice yet. Both have their advantages. Not nearly as clearcut as you make it sound for me.

Last edited:

Rory

As I said, a rather extreme example. With Thiago here the dressing room would have burned to the ground after a few weeks, which can be positive as well. Maybe my problem is that I am not in the doom and gloom phase like most fans right now. I am very happy with Pjanic-Busquets-Frenkie for next season and would rather have us go for a striker+CB.

Thiago vs Pjanic would have been interesting when we had to make a choice yet. Both have their advantages. Not nearly as clearcut as you make it sound for me.

Again don't want to be pedantic but it's not really a reply with any meaning then if the example you use is totally extreme and not equivalent to the discussion at hand. I'm kind of ok with that midfield too, could be better and could be worse. That's what it's all about for me though, signing a 30m thiago would make it better and that is a good thing considering our latest transfer market attempts.

A cb should be first signing agree with that. I'm not on the buy a striker train yet because I don't see us getting rid of Braithwaite or Griezmann.

On the pjanic vs Thiago thing I hardly made it clear cut, I said Thiago is probably better than Pjanic.

mc_lovin

On the pjanic vs Thiago thing I hardly made it clear cut, I said Thiago is probably better than Pjanic.

I probably stumbled over this:

The initial signing that makes no sense is signing Pjanic at all but we know that only occurred because the board ruined our finances. Doesn't mean we have to settle for Pjanic starting every single game for us now. I'd hope that's not the case

Last edited:

jamrock

Thiago isn't probably better than pjanic

Thiago IS better than pjanic.

Ps anyone who is happy to see busqusts in our starting midfield next season, is lets just say a fool to put it nicely.

Thiago--fdj--pjanic

What a midfield, drop pjanic go double pivot so messi can finally stop starting on the wing, even better.

fergus90

Thiago 's only downfall is his inability to stay fit, misses too many games but in general he's been under rated by majority of football fans until recently. His performance away at Chelsea back in Feb was sensational, the difference between Bayern and Barca is night and day at the moment. Hans Flick is desperate to keep him as him and Kimmich work amazingly well together in the middle, however it seems he's got his eyes set on a move to the Premier League.

khaled_a_d

If we go for younger then it will cost us close to 100m and there is a reasonable chance they will sign the worst young midfielder available for a big buck :lol:

I would not sign Milinkovic-Savic or Fabian Ruiz for the transfer fees their teams want.

tbh I don't know if we are into the market for a midfielder.
Nothing is clear right now.
For me, I prefer to stand still rather than sign someone 28+ or overrated.
Won't mind the Ndombele for Coutinho loan swap idea tbf

fergus90

A busi - Pjanic - fdj midfield coupled with pique at the back is just too fucking slow and too similar.

Painfully slow, getting Pjanic up until 17/18 I would've been ecstatic, I'm very much of the opinion he's a better football than Arthur but we are getting him passed his peak.

Riordon

Problem with Busi-fdj-Pjanic or fdj-Thiago-Pjanic is that all those like to create from deep. In a 433 your cm need to roam and move between the lines like Iniesta did it.

Vilarrubi

Should get rid of Raki and Vidal, buy Thiago. Midfield would take on a whole new look, Busi with a backup role too like Xavi 14/15. Who’s got the balls to do it.

serghei

Should get rid of Raki and Vidal, buy Thiago. Midfield would take on a whole new look, Busi with a backup role too like Xavi 14/15. Who?s got the balls to do it.

Not these clowns that's for sure. Besides, Thiago is useless if Messi continues to play like some sort of Xavi dropping deep next to Busi and asking the ball.

We need so sign Thiago, and stop Messi from dropping deep. Then our play will improve a lot.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
tbh I don't know if we are into the market for a midfielder.
Nothing is clear right now.
For me, I prefer to stand still rather than sign someone 28+ or overrated.
Won't mind the Ndombele for Coutinho loan swap idea tbf

Ndombele is a very interesting player, but I think he might stay when Tottenham inevitably decided to fire Mourinho.

It all depends on how much the club rate Riqui, Pedri and someone like Ilaix Moriba. If they see them as legit players then signing Thiago would be more useful than Ndombele IMO.

Not these clowns that's for sure. Besides, Thiago is useless if Messi continues to play like some sort of Xavi dropping deep next to Busi and asking the ball.

We need so sign Thiago, and stop Messi from dropping deep. Then our play will improve a lot.

I think Messi will be more inclined on staying in an advanced position with a midfield of Thiago, de Jong, Pjanic.

Home of Barca Fans