Thiago Alcantara

KingLeo10

I'd take Gini in the CL. He has actually been the best midfielder in the competition other than Modric last few seasons.

:lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Put up a poll if you want. I'd wager most would take Wijnaaldum over Thiago.

Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to poll fans of other teams and managers right now.

Polling our lot is a waste of time. Half of this forum dislikes him simply because he left us. Then you have clowns like Messigician. Most of the guys that try to think rationally are gone.

serghei

Also, Thiago is not the player we should sign imo. He'd replace Arthur and would make him leave. So in 2-3 years we'd be with a 32 years old Thiago and with Arthur beasting it at some rival in Europe at 25-26. Arthur is right now about where Thiago was under Tito. If not a bit higher-rated.

We should rejuvenate the team, not make it older.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Also, Thiago is not the player we should sign imo. He'd replace Arthur and would make him leave. So in 2-3 years we'd be with a 32 years old Thiago and with Arthur beasting it at some rival in Europe at 25-26. Arthur is right now about where Thiago was under Tito. If not a bit higher-rated.

We should rejuvenate the team, not make it older.

Wijnaldum is slightly older than Thiago and I would guess he assumption on signing either is that Busquets is phased out so Arthur being sold is no different in either scenario.

Both will stay with their current clubs anyway would think.

Andresito

Staff member
Thiago I'd also say is definitely top 5. In form he's top 3. KdB is the only midfielder standing out, the rest of the best are about the same level but with different strengths.

If we can get him for 20-30M I'd be okay with it. Unrealistic considering he's Bayern's best midfielder, but with one year left and him being 29 definitely lowers the asking price.
We not only need potential but we need quality from the go as well. Thiago is that.

@serghei
I get the feeling you have a strong personal agenda against some players with Messi and now Thiago standing out. I've never heard anyone say Thiago is outside top 10.

serghei

@serghei
I get the feeling you have a strong personal agenda against some players with Messi and now Thiago standing out. I've never heard anyone say Thiago is outside top 10.

I actually gave names of players who all have a very good case as being rated above Thiago. Most of those midfielders have been key players for their club and NT, with better performances in Europe with their club.

Is Thiago even a clear starter for Spain? When Romania played Spain, Saul was used instead of him, and Thiago was on the bench. While Thiago was used in the lesser game after 4 days, at home vs mighty Feroe Islands.

What is absurd is to say Thiago is dead on a top 5 midfielder in the world. That's the dream that never was.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Give him some credit. At his peak, Thiago was playing like a top 10 player in the world let alone midfielder. Back in 16/17 he was putting up defensive ball winning numbers like Arturo Vidal while also being a creative powerhouse on the ball and running Bayern's entire midfield. He was surely the best player in the Bundesliga that season.

That year Bayern lost to what is IMO the best Real Madrid team ever. And Thiago was competitive in both games against the best midfield in the world by far at the time, even got an assist I think. Keep in mind that Bayern were playing with 10 men and 1 midfielder down for like 70 mins of play over the entire 2 legs. Against prime Modric, Kroos, and Casemiro. No easy feat.

Even outside of that year Thiago puts up well rounded numbers and consistent performances year after year. Bayern fans will tell you how great and underrated he is.

Buying him would be a much better deal than buying Lautaro, or Neymar who has slighted the club 100x worse than Thiago ever did. If Setien can somehow figure out that Busquets time is done and shift FDJ to pivot with Thiago in front of him our team's identity will change drastically. The other midfield spot can go to one of Vidal/Arthur/even Griezmann. With FDJ/Thiago we'd have enough control in midfield to allow a free roaming AM type of player like Griezmann in the role he's best with. Even now when Vidal plays in midfield he often drifts up like a supporting striker. And FDJ and Thiago both have had success playing in a double pivot.

jamrock

Serghei normally talks sense but he is way off the mark with this one, way off the mark.

Also I don't think he was a fool for leaving, the club/manager didn't trust him and the best manager in the world hand picked him for his new project, what would you choose.

We were the fools for letting him go so easily and even bigger fools for not going after kroos hard, after he left.

I like Thiago but he's very injury prone.

Missed 38 matches in the last 5 seasons - that isn't 8 matches per season. The longest were 13 matches (from end of November to start of February) in the 16/17 season.

For me he is the ideal no. 8. I would not play him on the 10 - but even in a double 8 with a partner that is good in the box he can shine. He has a real great eye for runners and spaces - something I truly missed with Kroos at Bayern and has a great workrate with a sense when you need to help out defensively.

Messigician

Too old and injury prone that ship has sailed, never should hage gone but I don't see why we shoukd bring him back when we have Arthur and FDJ

vuji_31

Well he is old , but for 15-20 mil he would be great option for 2-3 seasons.

Better then spending money on F.Ruiz,Ndombele and others just becuase of panic.

Currently on the market I don't see any young player that Barca could buy for future like it was De Jong.

Aouar is overrrated and plays hot-cold. From other players nobody is mentioned.

Messigician

Well he is old , but for 15-20 mil he would be great option for 2-3 seasons.

Better then spending money on F.Ruiz,Ndombele and others just becuase of panic.

Currently on the market I don't see any young player that Barca could buy for future like it was De Jong.

Aouar is overrrated and plays hot-cold. From other players nobody is mentioned.

Kai Havertz, Pogba, Tonalli, etc

Home of Barca Fans