Thiago Alcantara

George_Costanza

Rakitic or Jorginho were not only good for half of the games during the season, they were very good in most games and were amongst the standout players of both their teams.

I totally disagree, Go back to Raki thread around January to see how people here evaluated his performance for the half season. Most people here wanted him out.

Joan

I totally disagree, Go back to Raki thread around January to see how people here evaluated his performance for the half season. Most people here wanted him out.

You make it sound as if Thiago does well whenever he's able to play. He himself had quite a few poor matches last season, often when it mattered the most. First match vs. Real or DFB Pokal final vs. Kovač's Eintracht. People tend to overrate Thiago.

Devils

That's not fair, if you want to make an accurate comparison it should be the past 2 or 3 seasons. 5 years ago is a long time, and at that time half of Bayern players have the same injury issues. It was controversial that led to firing the medical staff.

So what explains his injury problems last season...Or being injured for 122 days in his last season at Barca before he moved to Bayern?

Why is using the past 5-6 years, when Thiago was 21-27 a bad comparison? Are you saying that evaluating the health of someone in the range of 22-27 is a bad period to evaluate injury issues?

Give me names of players who have had injury issues as bad as Thiago and has managed to overcome their injuries towards the later stages of their career in their late 20s and early 30s.

Last edited:

Devils

Every fanbase does that.

Go read about what Real fans were saying about Modric in the early stages of last season or what United fans said about Pogba last season.

Bayern fans have been very frustrated with Thiago as well.

George_Costanza

You make it sound as if Thiago does well whenever he's able to play. He himself had quite a few poor matches last season, often when it mattered the most. First match vs. Real or DFB Pokal final vs. Kovač's Eintracht. People tend to overrate Thiago.

He had a good first leg against real, not sure what are you talking about. He had a shaky start when he replaced injured Robben early on but very solid 2nd half. Bayern lost because of injury, luck, missed chances and referee otherwise they were better than Real over the two legs.

George_Costanza

So what explains his injury problems last season...Or being injured for 122 days in his last season at Barca before he moved to Bayern?

Why is using the past 5-6 years, when Thiago was 21-27 a bad comparison? Are you saying that evaluating the health of someone in the range of 22-27 is a bad period to evaluate injury issues?

Give me names of players who have had injury issues as bad as Thiago and has managed to overcome their injuries towards the later stages of their career in their late 20s and early 30s.

I already gave you a solid reason why not to evaluate players injured history if it's long ago especially the circumstances Bayern had around that time. Also, you exaggerate his absentee last season. He played 19 league games, James played 23 games and Tolisso played 26 games, Coman 21 games, Rudy 25 games, Javi 22 games. You see, it ain't that bad because they actually have strong MF rotation policy. Raki playing 45+ games isn't something to brag about, it shows we don't have a good alternative.

Devils

I already gave you a solid reason why not to evaluate players injured history if it's long ago especially the circumstances Bayern had around that time. Also, you exaggerate his absentee last season. He played 19 league games, James played 23 games and Tolisso played 26 games, Coman 21 games, Rudy 25 games, Javi 22 games. You see, it ain't that bad because they actually have strong MF rotation policy. Raki playing 45+ games isn't something to brag about, it shows we don't have a good alternative.

You didn't provide a very good reason at all. You said 5 years ago was a 'long time' and other Bayern players, who quite a few are also quite injury prone, had injury issues. That's not an explanation for Thiago's issues he's experienced through his entire career.

I'm not exaggerating, you are trying to normalize a player being injured 122 days and missing 1/3 of the games in a season as not a big deal because said club as a good rotation policy and depth in midfield.

It's clearly a big deal for Bayern and their fans who have become frustrated with him or they wouldn't be hinting at his sale or not guaranteeing him a starting spot in their XI.

Bayern don't sell quality players unless they see big issues with them. Especially not their starters. They wouldn't be selling Thiago unless they have serious concerns about him and his ability to contribute to their club in the future.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Bayern don't sell quality players unless they see big issues with them. Especially not their starters. They wouldn't be selling Thiago unless they have serious concerns about him and his ability to contribute to their club in the future.

Agree with what you said about his injury record its pretty shocking.. but if he's a fair price i'd take the risk.

What Bayern do shouldn't be a benchmark for what we do in terms of who they thinks good enough and who's not. They sold Kroos and look where we are now, 3 Champions League wins later for Kroos and none for Bayern.

Joan

[tw]1024296562200064000[/tw]

So... since 2012., he missed 112 games and was injured for a total of 2 years and 4 days. :worthy: :worthy:

It's the medical stuff, it's not him.

Last edited:

Messi983

Devils I agree with you on some aspects but the thing is we need another experienced midfielder and there is none on the market except Thiago. If he stays healthy he will contribute much for sure and he will do it immediately. I wouldn’t sign him for any price though but I am sure Bayern is well aware no one will pay much more than 40 mil since it’s just too risky. If we can sign him for that amount I would do it immediately. But if they request more than 50 mil or if he has some absurd salary request I would pass.

Unless they are desperate to get rid off him (which I don't think they are) they will just keep him if no club will offer what Bayern wants. And I'm pretty sure they value him higher than just 40 or 50M.

BBZ8800

[tw]1024296562200064000[/tw]

So... since 2012., he missed 112 games and was injured for a total of 2 years and 4 days. :worthy: :worthy:

It's the medical stuff, it's not him.

He is injured all the time.
His brother Rafinha is injured all the time.
And people say that their dad was injured all the time.

Only one of those 3 played for Bayern, though.
Genetics.

Donatello

Add to that, his mediocre WC performances.

Plus, seems like Kovac doesn't rate him highly. That's why he wants to leave.

Donatello

Agree with what you said about his injury record its pretty shocking.. but if he's a fair price i'd take the risk.

What Bayern do shouldn't be a benchmark for what we do in terms of who they thinks good enough and who's not. They sold Kroos and look where we are now, 3 Champions League wins later for Kroos and none for Bayern.

They didn't want to loose Kroos. He left because he was too expensive for Bayern.

Even at Bayern, Kroos was a solid player nonetheless. While Alcantara is miles below in terms of being a solid player.

Home of Barca Fans