The South Wales Derby

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Im quite new to this forum so I must've missed the anti rangers-celtic derby talk but you wont hear me knocking that fixture. Whilst the Scottish league is in decline in my opinion in terms of quality, that derby more that makes up for it in raw passion. The only thing that makes the south wales derby a talking point is that last years games were the first meaningful fixtures between the clubs in nigh on ten years, so its a big event down here. Whilst the rangers-celtic match is phenomenal, it happens what? At least four times a season?

totally agree. finally someone who talks sense. some of the others just came on the old firm thread and laughed when i wanted it to be about the match itself.

incidentally how do you think swansea will do now without martinez? do they still have this so called beautiful style of play?

hartson11

It's crazy to knock the old firm game, as an all round game taking into account atmosphere, passion, intensity etc it has to be up there with the great derbies in world football.

I've been to a few swans games this season and initially thought Paulo Sousa would actually get us relegated! Slowly but surely though results are improving. The style of play is still there to a degree in terms of passing but nowhere near as attacking as last year. They are really missing the creative influence of Jordi Gomez and the goals of Jason Scotland. They brought Jordi Lopez in to midfield but he's plain awful. How on earth that guy played in a UEFA cup final is beyond me.

C

ChuckaOwns

Hatson, sorry if this is stupid but is bodde back yet? Was quality last season before he got injured, also has Pintado come good? haven't really kept up with Swansea like last season.

hartson11

Hatson, sorry if this is stupid but is bodde back yet? Was quality last season before he got injured, also has Pintado come good? haven't really kept up with Swansea like last season.

bodde got injured 7 mins into his comeback. He is now out for another 8 months! cruel luck. The only thing pintado has done this season is getting sent off in a cup match against scunthorpe which saw us finish the match with 6 players! he is probably behind craig beattie, lee trundle and stephen dobbie in the pecking order nowadays.

C

ChuckaOwns

No way, sucks for Bodde. Oh yeh, forgot you got Beattie, quality buy.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
no i don't want to lemmi. i made a passing comment you don't need to get involved. do cardiff fans mainly taunt the swansea fans with their recent FA cup acheivement btw? how do they cope without Ramsey? not really well versed in welsh teams to be honest.

i'll watch it if i can.

C

ChuckaOwns

Well not really, but it is always a good add on for them lol.

They cope fine without Ramsey tbh, and have made big strides to the Pl, and should of probably got there last year, were 4 points from top with like 3/4 games in hand but didn't win one and in the end dropped to 8th or soemthing

Lemmi

The Reckoner
im only at uni here but my best mate is a season ticket holder and i used to be able to go to watch on the bob bank for a tenner so i went to about 7/8 games in each of my first 2 years, including the fa cup semi at wembley. still yet to make it to the new ground tho, been a bit busy. since the only english team i support are 2nd to bottom of the conference south i dont really feel any split loyalties watching them.

ramsey was never established in the team so his leaving wasnt an issue, just meant they lost a great player for the future. loovens and mainly johnson have been the losses, roger was godlike. if cardiff had a CM like marvin elliott from bristol they could walk this league, their soft centre and fragile mental state is their downfall. the ledley saga has been going on too long as well, he is being a cunt and playing shit. wouldnt be surprised if they took £1.5m for him in january if they can before he does the dirty.

hartson11

i see lemmi. been to the new cardiff stadium once myself, went to the valencia pre season game. nice enough ground.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
I've never been to Wales but I will do one day. I have cousins that live in Wales as well.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
BBC Preview

Swansea v Cardiff

Coca Cola Championship - Swansea City v Cardiff City
Venue: Liberty Stadium Date: Saturday, 7 November Kick-off: 1245 GMT Coverage: Full commentary on BBC Radio Wales and Radio Cymru, live text commentary online and score updates on BBC Radio 5 live. Extended highlights on The Football League Show on BBC ONE Wales at 0005 GMT on Sunday. Live on Sky Sports 1
TEAM NEWS
Swansea City have no new injury problems ahead of the game against their South Wales rivals.
Albert Serran is still short of match fitness and will not be considered.
Cardiff will be without the suspended Michael Chopra and the injured Stephen McPhail, while Peter Whittingham is a doubt with a knee problem.
Ross McCormack is set to replace top scorer Chopra up front, while Whittingham will have a fitness test before boss Dave Jones names his team.

Sousa confident ahead of derby

Swansea City manager Paulo Sousa:
This game is special for our supporters, special for our city and for ourselves.
"The opponent is doing well in the table, the opponent has scored more goals than anyone else, the opponent wants promotion and it is an opponent that has the money to buy the players they wanted.
"The opponent also has a manager who is one of the best managers in the Championship and he has got promoted already with two clubs and has a lot of knowledge.
"We are improving every week and our confidence is growing and we have the winning mentality I want."

Jones keeps derby in 'perspective'

Cardiff City manager Dave Jones:
It means everything to the fans and means everything to the players. There is just three points available but there is the added spice of being a derby game - but we are there to win maximum points.
"Normally derbies either end up being flops because nobody wants to give anything away or you can end up with a really exciting game but they were really tight games last season.
"Paulo Sousa has done a superb job, it is always difficult going into a football club when the previous manager has done well and you have to continue that.
"It is good for south Wales that both sides are doing well - and I have a lot of respect for Paulo as he is a really knowledgeable and astute manager."
MATCH PREVIEW
This match is not just a clash of fierce rivals; it also pits the team with the strongest attack in the Championship against the team with the weakest.
Cardiff have the division's leading scorers in striker Michael Chopra and midfielder Peter Whittingham, who have each scored 12 goals in all competitions this season. With Chopra suspended, it would be a major blow for the Bluebirds if Whittingham also misses the game.
Swansea have failed to score in more Championship matches this season than any other club, but they have also kept the most clean sheets and are enjoying the division's current longest unbeaten run.
The Swans have let in only two goals in their last seven league matches and have completed 345 minutes of football without conceding a goal. It all makes for a fascinating battle at the Liberty Stadium - the scene of a thrilling 2-2 draw between these two old foes last term.
MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• These arch-rivals have faced each other 50 times in league matches. Swansea have won 18 of them and Cardiff 16, with 16 drawn. Last season's matches both ended 2-2.

606: DEBATE
Have your say on this match
• Cardiff's only win in eight visits to Swansea was a 1-0 victory in March 1997.
• The Bluebirds have scored 31 goals in their 15 games this season (averaging 2.07 goals per game), whereas Swansea have netted just 11 in 15 (an average of 0.73).
Swansea
• Swansea are unbeaten in nine matches, having won four and drawn five since losing to Preston on 12 September.
• They have failed to score in seven Championship matches this season - more than any other club.
• Swansea have three players who have figured in every minute of every one of their Championship matches this season: Dorus de Vries, Ashley Williams and Alan Tate.
Cardiff
• Cardiff lead the Championship's 'form table' with a six-match unbeaten run of four wins and two draws.
• The Bluebirds have won all five games in which they have kept a clean sheet.
• Joe Ledley is set to make his 200th league start for the club.
• Like Swansea, Cardiff have three players who have been on the field for every minute of every one of their Championship matches: David Marshall, Anthony Gerrard and Mark Hudson.
MOST RECENT MEETING
Cardiff 2-2 Swansea (5 April 2009)
Cardiff scorers: Chopra 54, McCormack 90 pen.
Swansea scorers: Dyer 11, Allen 88.

Home of Barca Fans