The Negreira case

ajnotkeith

The judgement made by the police apparently goes the entire way to say that our payments resulted in decisions going our way according to EL MUNDO.

The judgement states that the reports the 8m allegedly correspond to don't exist and to this day no credible reason has been proposed by Barcelona FC to state why these payments were made. It also states that the situation likely led to biased decision making in the CTA.
It goes on to say it could lead to domestic and international sporting sanctions.

It adds a weird caveat where it states that despite receiving 8m from Barca Negreira did not experience a large increase in his assets, meaning the money likely went elsewhere, assumed by the police to be money laundering on the part of the club in which bonuses would go back to the president and his directors.

At the least, Laporta and his directors have stolen from the club, and brought shame on its name, so he has to go and so do all of his staff, this is utterly shameful. Not only that but we have an indication we have been involved in sports corruption.

To be clear, this report is not a definitive ruling yet, it is just the evidence produced by the Spanish Police investigation which they have sent to the courts to form part of the process. However by the looks of it this is ending badly.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

The case is complete bollox with absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Barca paid referees for help to win matches. Nothing I have heard is any worse than what Madrid were doing for years in the open with Carlos Megia Davila.

The prosecution have said as much and see this as a money laundering case and only a money laundering case. I think there is a fair bit of evidence to suggest they may be right in that. In which case the club would be a VICTIM to those individuals doing the money laundering for personal gain.

ajnotkeith

The case is complete bollox with absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Barca paid referees for help to win matches. Nothing I have heard is any worse than what Madrid were doing for years in the open with Carlos Megia Davila.

The prosecution have said as much and see this as a money laundering case and only a money laundering case. I think there is a fair bit of evidence to suggest they may be right in that. In which case the club would be a VICTIM to those individuals doing the money laundering for personal gain.
No, that's totally incorrect. As far as I recall Carlos Megia Davila was retired when Madrid employed him and held no role in refereeing in Spain, so there is no conflict of interest or possible influence.

Negreira was the vice president of the CTA at the time. I.e, he very possibly had direct influence on refereeing decisions made and possibility to tamper with refereeing processes in the CTA.

On the point I've bolded the one benefitting would be the man in your profile, Joan Laporta, so yes, the club would be a victim to him stealing from the club's budgets and laundering it through Negreira.

It is shameful no matter how you try to spin it. He should resign immediately if we have any honour.

ajnotkeith

The presiding judge :

'It seems, that, logically, FC Barcelona would not have paid over 7 million to Negreira if it did not benefit them sportingly. As a result, we have to consider there is systemic corruption and any club which has competed against Barca may have been disadvantaged'

The judge also rejected that Negreira had no role in the CTA, stating that Negreira's own statements to the Tax Agency reflected that he was responsible for rating referees performance after each game (a rating colloquially named the 'Corruption Index' by ex referees), a role which meant he could help determine who was promoted, demoted or made an international referee, and therefore favour like minded referees in his analyses. Such roles also come with a salary bonus.

The judge further stated that the investigation of money laundering should be seperated from the main investigation of sporting corruption, reasoning that the money laundering investigation was too minor and long to justify it delaying the main case. As a result, the two cases have been legally seperated.

My notes*** : What a surprise that the Catalan media lies through their teeth like scoundrels again claiming the investigation was dropped and only about money laundering. This is incredibly serious and we could face huge penalties or even be relegated.

Barcelonista001

New signing
I was afraid of this all along
But on thise years we didn’t really see any favoritism that goes more than other teams
Otherwise we would have persistently concurred more trophiess, records, honors etc

Something is missing, there has to be a Hidden agenda

Porque

The presiding judge :

'It seems, that, logically, FC Barcelona would not have paid over 7 million to Negreira if it did not benefit them sportingly. As a result, we have to consider there is systemic corruption and any club which has competed against Barca may have been disadvantaged'

This would be the logical assumption. But surely it has to be proven.

1) Has it been proven?

2) Has an analysis been run for the whole period for refereeing decisions comparing all the LaLiga clubs? (and even this will have a degree of subjectivity over fouls, cards, penalties, goals, offsides that shoud/shouldn't be given

The judge also rejected that Negreira had no role in the CTA, stating that Negreira's own statements to the Tax Agency reflected that he was responsible for rating referees performance after each game (a rating colloquially named the 'Corruption Index' by ex referees), a role which meant he could help determine who was promoted, demoted or made an international referee, and therefore favour like minded referees in his analyses. Such roles also come with a salary bonus.

That all sounds reasonable and logical expectation for the job position.

What is the CTA btw?

El Gato

Villarato!
Comite Tecnico de Arbitros

aayyyaaaaay

Basically PGMOL, what Howard Webb is in charge of in the UK as far as I understand

Loki

Spanish football is run by Rubiales and Tebas, 2 most corrupt individuals. I don't care if some judge spouts shit through media. So long as there is no official punishment from the highest court, I regard everything to this case just Madrid based propaganda, carried by corrupt shites.

ajnotkeith

This would be the logical assumption. But surely it has to be proven.

1) Has it been proven?

2) Has an analysis been run for the whole period for refereeing decisions comparing all the LaLiga clubs? (and even this will have a degree of subjectivity over fouls, cards, penalties, goals, offsides that shoud/shouldn't be given

That all sounds reasonable and logical expectation for the job position.

What is the CTA btw?
So they stated they are looking into whether Negreira's role in analysis referees was used to shoehorn Barca-favourable referees into higher roles. They said at this time there is no indication a field referee was directly bribed but that the assumption is Negreira himself may have been used to manipulate refereeing processes.

The CTA is the refereeing committee in Spain, they basically decide
- Refereeing norms (what are fouls and what aren't)
- Which referees get selected to certain matches
- Which referees get demoted and promoted
- Which referees are selected for European games (from Spain).

A comprehensive analysis hasn't been run by anyone yet, but it seems like an extremely difficult thing to do given how many ways refereeing bias could manifest.
An example of how refereeing bias could manifest through this Negreira case for example -

- Negreira favours referees who give less cards to Barca players.
- Negreira favours referees who tend to crack down on fouling and rough play
- Negreira favours refs who give less penalties against Barca (or even in general)
It could really be alot of things and impossible to tell without a huge processing of the data.

ajnotkeith

I think what is clear to me is you don't only money launder with a refereeing official. And then hide the payments through 20 shell companies, don't declare them to tax agency, make fake invoices and fake reports...

That seems utterly moronic, because obviously if you get caught you can add the crime of sports corruption to all your money laundering charges for little to no reason.
If the directors of the club were going to pick someone to steal with, it wouldn't have been him.

Another question is how 20 years of internal audits didn't pick up these incredibly out of market and obviously dodgy payments.

I have to say, its likely this came right from the top.

serghei

You can't say something LIKELY lead to something, that stuff is for twitter, not court of law. It either did, and you prove it, or most likely DIDN'T. Investigators have all the tools to prove referees got bought. If they can't find any solid evidence, that's probably because it doesn't exist.

So far, I don't see any real evidence. If we did pay refs or used Negreira to intimidate them, and there is real proof of that, then the club should get relegated for sure. There's a long road until that point though.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans