Tata Martino: “Alexis has been playing well since the end of last season”

F

Flavia

www.fcbarcelona.cat
10/26/2013 21:00

"The Song for Iniesta sub was defensive, I won't say that Song was supposed to play in the No10 attacking position," says the manager
"Neymar has had better performances, but the significance of his goal raises his performance," explains Martino

Gerardo Martino said in the post-match press conference that Barça started off well but lost a little steam as time ticked off the clock, and that his men played “an excellent first half.” He added: “We played a normal second half and in the last 15 minutes we managed to have more control.” The Argentinian then praised Alexis, explained why Iniesta was subbed off and played down the fact that Barça have a six-point lead over Madrid.

“I made the subs to improve the team”

“It’s true that in the first half we appeared to be the team that we have always been. In the second half we weren’t doing a good job and I decided to make the subs that I needed to make in order to improve the team,” said Martino, who went on to say that Barça played “an excellent first half and Madrid didn’t have any chances.” The manager then explained why he subbed in Alex Song for Andrés Iniesta: “The Song-Iniesta sub was a defensive one, I won’t say that Song was supposed play in the attacking No10 position. It was a way to win the game and I’d do it again.”

There’s a lot left

The manager highlighted the importance of the pressure applied by the team’s forwards and he praised Leo Messi for defensive contribution. “Leo has given a lot to the team. If we find responses like his when it comes to winning back possession we’ll have a greater chance of succeeding and later, if we have the ball, it will be easier to attack,” said Tata, who said that the six-point advantage over Madrid is not definitive: “The impact from today’s result is more emotional than it is mathematical. A six-point advantage on Round 10 can’t be considered significant. I’m pleased and satisfied, but this has just begun. We still have 28 matches to go.”

Wise words from Tata. It really just begun, there are a lot of matches and a lot of improvement to be made.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Tata is always very level-headed and spot on with his statements, which is great. He's done everything right so far. Honestly, I didn't expect him to try out a new formation against RM, but it shows he can be very practical when needed and is not afraid to change bits and pieces according to his plans. Makes me more willing to believe his talk about improvements and development.

jairzinho

By playing Messi on the right and Cesc as the false 9, Tata made Ancelotti's decision to play Ramos in midfield partly a waste of time as obviously Ramos would have been there to deny Messi space to operate. Also, with Messi on the wings, it helped to nullify the threat down Real's most dangerous side of the field as Marcelo was busy watching Messi and could not Roam up and down the touch line like he's used to. Also noticed that we didn't press as much during periods in the match and actually allowed Real to come into us before we started. but overall, Tata is not afraid to stir the pot to suit the game and I like that. :p

Home of Barca Fans