State of La Liga

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
I was not counting teams that got into CL qualifiers, because they are irrelevant, they wouldn't make it through. Only those that do get through matter to the argument. And I got my facts from exactly the same site you got yours.

And what's with your Osasuna fetish? They didn't even get knocked down to EL qualifiers after failing to qualify to CL that year. Who is distorting the facts now? Anyway, they are a team on a slump like many others right now and they won't get any better, at least I don't expect them to like I do with many other teams that had their shots in Europe.

English teams are rotting? Interesting. Present me with some facts that you can prove that with.. Oh wait!.. You can't! That's fun.

As to caring about EL, sure, many clubs don't because those many clubs that don't care are the clubs that are able to bet other teams and get further into it, but they don't want to, they prefer getting far in the CL, hence I agree with you making the point about Napoli.

La Liga is very, very weak, I call it shit because I take no enjoyment in making it look better than it is with the TV rights and management farce. It's crying in agony and results will not improve. I highly doubt them to get far on any front until Malaga makes its way to spots 3-4.

Are you going to be changing your stance about CL positions? because CL participation wasnt the argument regarding competitiveness of La Liga but Osasuna's ability of being absolutely shit to 4th place in a single season, which is to disprove your point of no one in Spain being able to do such.

And now, your another grand argument about EPL teams not rotting- go to swissramble.blogspot.com and educate yourself. And then, read about the role of owners in helping the club with their finances. Swissramble has done an excellent job in order to remove idiocy regarding football finanses. EPL has had the benefit of owners that constantly pump money in their team, which doesnt typically happen in La Liga.

El Gato

Villarato!
Are you going to be changing your stance about CL positions? because CL participation wasnt the argument regarding competitiveness of La Liga but Osasuna's ability of being absolutely shit to 4th place in a single season, which is to disprove your point of no one in Spain being able to do such.

And now, your another grand argument about EPL teams not rotting- go to swissramble.blogspot.com and educate yourself. And then, read about the role of owners in helping the club with their finances. Swissramble has done an excellent job in order to remove idiocy regarding football finanses. EPL has had the benefit of owners that constantly pump money in their team, which doesnt typically happen in La Liga.

Shall do. Merci.

Guardian

ah. the good ol' football forums :) Everyone is bitching about something and trying to win internet bitch fights :) I missed that for long time

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
as i said in a previous post, the only long term solution is to put all the giant clubs into a european super league and let them fight it out, the mega clubs will always be dominant so its really the only solution.................

No it is not. This would only make things worse, especially that you would have used one decade to separate teams but on the long run, who knows who remains sustainable. Only 20 years ago, you were irrelevant so you would have been stuck in the lower leagues all by yourself, but you would have probably been cheering for Real Madrid or Liverpool.

But its a cycle, what we are not used to is to have an elongated cycle. Even then, I am not sure if this has happened in history before. I will expand this argument to more than just La Liga and include Serie A because I see some similarities.

Money is an issue and its source varies and while I think TV revenues should be shared more fairly and is a start there are other sources of income that clubs fail to explore simply because the mentality of the board is either old school or eccentric, both in Spain and Serie A.

Organization and Delivery:

For a start, schedules are not even up until one week before, Serie A starts late. Messy organization and terrible preparation for European Competitions and International Friendlies leaves Spanish and Italian clubs prone to elimination and under performance. What does it take to have a proper TV Schedule well announced early on to have it marketable? I mean you are selling a product, the least you could do is have it aesthetically appealing, its the first step and both leagues already failed.

France is below Germany, Italy, Spain and England yet they have a proper league setup that is actually gaining more respect. Serie A cameras are hideous, Spanish are alright but the quality in which the English league is broadcasted is actually 2011, not 1999. You are not selling shit quality to the world, because no one wants to buy. That is one example of how you can organize and deliver your league better to gain more respect.

A second method is for small clubs to open up to the world, firstly add English. Is it that difficult for a website to be translated? Hire two or three people who will update the site regularly in different languages and you will have the attention. Inter Milan only introduced new languages like 3-4 years ago maybe? Seriously? When they realized its actually easy and so simple, they are up to seven languages. EPL teams have an advantage because it is in English, and it is pretty much understood by everyone else.

Teams like Seville, Racing and Getafe have grade 9 websites that are not welcoming in anyway and you need to click on entrar to find out there is an English page, only for it to be half in Spanish.

Very small steps that won't tip the balance, but you all get the point.

Tactics and Innovation:

You can't fault Madrid and Barcelona for always inventing new tactics, and Serie A is always a gold mine for tactical ideas. That you can't buy, you can't fuck with. A brilliant manager is a brilliant manager other managers need to adapt. Pep Guardiola has played two unplayable systems which are based of an older system but that is not the fault of Pep and Mourinho that there are cowards out there with soft personalities. When Barca demolish Vila-real it is because Barcelona played really well, and Vila-real played absolutely gobshite. To say the league is dead because of these scorelines is inaccurate. It only means that this is a transitional period in which teams are adapting to Madrid and Barcelona. In fact Vila-real tried playing the same way Madrid did, but this was the first trial, the score line was the exact same. We will see what happens by the end of the league. Will trainers adapt to the tactics? Will trainers figure out new regimes? or are they still practicing the same old ways?

Why are Serie A teams so lazy? They run around like they are in a shopping center?

Racism, Discrimination and Prejudice

Absolutely fucking nauseating. Simple as that. The fact that some highly educated and open minded members on here have justified the actions of these Spanish fans by telling me that this is only a method of irritating a player shows how common it occurs to the point where each and everyone of us has to a degree, even if minute, has accepted it.

As writers on this forum, as journalists, as presidents, as fans, as players, as sports companies, as social scientists, psychologists, trainers, etc...we have a resources and we use them to explain behaviors as opposed to fighting these behaviors. If we are allowed 200 characters on a forum, would we use them to explain how the culture is in Spain? Or would you use them to express your disgust and offer a solution? I don't particularly have one because I have never been to Spain or Italy or England or their stadiums.

But I know I liked the Stop Racism campaign by Nike, I wished clubs would adopt it themselves. And oh ya, violence. Whatever happened to security check?

Btw, did the Bernabeu and Camp Nou install fences?

And if he is a big black guy who looks tough does not mean he is a DM.

I have a lot of work to do, so I can discuss more ideas later. By no means those three things going to tip the balance or change much, but I would definitely like to see changes in these departments. They are insignificant on their own, but collectively they are. Getafe's marketing team is hilarious, slightly offensive perhaps, but absolutely legendary.

When Perez has a fucking monumental business in Madrid, you think it is hard for him to convince banks to give out loans when he can make other business on the side as incentive? Just a thought.

One more topic I could discuss later is the FA's sanctioning of club sales and its lack of disciplinary powers. But I have only questions, no facts as this whole thing is so sketchy.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
ah. the good ol' football forums :) Everyone is bitching about something and trying to win internet bitch fights :) I missed that for long time

Then read my post and reply to it so I can have something to read when I am done doing my boring job :)()

Guardian

Raed, your post is pretty awesome, and as much as I wanted to bitch about it (because you're Madridista, and we all knw that's all madridistas are wrong :p) I actually agree with every bit in it. I agree about the clubs websites, the fair TV revenues, the eccentric bosses, TV cameras, strategies, etc. Great post :beer2:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
What is interesting (and also worrying) is how many La Liga clubs have no shirt sponsors right now.

Valencia
Sevilla
Villarreal
Atletico
Osasuna
Rayo Vallecano

MES QUE LOS CLUBS?

Or is La Liga becoming that unmarketable? Not that the Spanish (and global) economy is helping, but some of the biggest clubs in Spain are unable to get big corporate shirt sponsors?

Sergio

Sergison
You should probably add to that list clubs like Sporting who cant get shirt sponsors so instead get grants from regional government to carry a tourism logo instead.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
What is interesting (and also worrying) is how many La Liga clubs have no shirt sponsors right now.

Valencia
Sevilla
Villarreal
Atletico
Osasuna
Rayo Vallecano

MES QUE LOS CLUBS?

Or is La Liga becoming that unmarketable? Not that the Spanish (and global) economy is helping, but some of the biggest clubs in Spain are unable to get big corporate shirt sponsors?

As I was writing my post, I wanted to add this but I forgot. It is an especially good point, I mean its free money, what the hell are they doing? Get 1-2 year deals only, even if it is below the suggested price.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
It's kind of crazy that Valencia has turned down offers, but I guess they really don't want to be perceived as a second rate club. At least they got sponsors on their shorts.

Would a real sponsor include a shameless kick back from a corrupt Arab government disguised as a charity?
Yes it would, because the government is trying to market itself and improve its image, much as a corporate sponsor would.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
It's kind of crazy that Valencia has turned down offers, but I guess they really don't want to be perceived as a second rate club. At least they got sponsors on their shorts.

Its crazier that they still perceive themselves as first rate club and play hardball in a position where they can't. If they are first rate club, they wouldn't be selling Mata, they would have him compete with the new comers for a first team spot. Idiots.

Home of Barca Fans