So what's next for Messi?

MagIX

I don't know...he is 35... he has won everything there was to win, and is considered the goat (or the goat with Pel? and Maradona, the 3 best ever)... whatever he does will neither add nor take away anything from his career.
If I were him I would retire

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

I don't know...he is 35... he has won everything there was to win, and is considered the goat (or the goat with Pel? and Maradona, the 3 best ever)... whatever he does will neither add nor take away anything from his career.
If I were him I would retire

First time in his career he is in a spot where he doesn't have to care about results. If he wins another CL for example, he will be the ultimate goat and if he wins another Copa, that would be just ridiculous..

So basically it's pretty nice situation. If he ends up winning any other major trophy, he is just a bigger goat. Not bad.

khaled_a_d

Those players loves the game and no surprises they try to stay in it as much as possible, it is the only thing they learned to do in life, and it will be totally different once ypu retire.

Don't get why people keep suggesting it tbh, retiring at "high end" is probably one of the most overrated things anyway.
Crujif did and regret it, played again in US for team called Washington diplomates ffs (worst team name in professional sport history? )
Pele ended his career in Newyork Cosmos, Maradona played for Sevilla and then went back to Argentina (and failed drug tests,had a lot of scandals among other things) and people barely care.
Xavi played 4 years in Qatar after already overstaying in Barca, Iniesta is in his 5th year in Japan, Del Piero played in India, Rivaldo played in Angola and Brazilian 2nd division. And no one cares and it didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.
Let Leo enjoy football as long as he wants, won't be even surprised if he plays till he is 40.
Hell, if he isn't retired from by 2026 I am almost certain he will play in WC to add to his participation numbers there.

Porque

He won't leave Qatar even if he wanted to. I'm not saying he will be a slave to them, but they will make him an offer he can't refuse.

The World Cup final, being a battle between the two PSG stars is a huge marketing ploy for them.

They will want to leverage this for their brand deals and finally get a CL being led by these two.

Good a chance as ever this year with Messi having achieved everything and only needing to play 8 games more this season. Kheleefa heading up the ECA, VP of Uefa and washing millions of funds to FIFA, UEFA and France.

I'd say PSG have great odds at getting those close decisions and close penalty and VAR calls to get them to that elusive CL win.

And quite frankly, it's the best move for him. Let him enjoy football and be well paid until he can't perform anymore. This world cup he has shown he can still match the top players of the new generation when he cares to.

Last edited:

snowy

The way he's been playing, he could easily pull a Modric

enjoys the game too much to retire anytime soon... maybe join Iniesta in Kobe ;)

FCBfan22

I think the only way for him to ever return to Barca is if his kids don't enjoy Paris and want to return to Barcelona full-time.

BTW, would laugh my arse off if he doesn't extend and goes to City for a season, just to get that PL trophy to shut the mouth of the English.

Andresito

Staff member
Rumours that he wants to play next WC as well as a champion, with the risk of ending up like Dani Alves.

Think he should keep going but stop as soon as he declines. If he scores 10+ goals per year in 2024 then go for it.

JohnN

No chance for next world cup I think. He already said it was his last and don't feel he would be able to maintain the level required at 39..
Would be nice if he had a role like aguero in this one though.

khaled_a_d

No chance for next world cup I think. He already said it was his last and don't feel he would be able to maintain the level required at 39..
Would be nice if he had a role like aguero in this one though.

Valdano already said that Messi told him he will aim for next WC if wins the 2022 (that was before the tournament).

I highly doubt Messi won't play it if he isn't retired from football entirely by 2026.

Raketa10

I'm sure he just played his last game for Argentina. We've been discussing this point in time for 5 years now and here we are. Walking into the sunset with the World Cup trophy is legendary end to his international career.

On club level he still has a year or two in him. Won't rule out a return to Barca, but additional 2 years at PSG is the most logical step.

He will for sure want to score 2 more goals to reach that 100 goals milestone for Argentina. I am willing to bet that he will play 2024 Copa America.

JamDav1982

I doubt very much Messi would ever want that and to be seen as a token gesture.

Messi will stop when he believes not there on merit if not before that.

He will be trying to see if can still be of use at Copa in a year and a half most likely.

Another CL to make 5, become most decorated footballer of all time.. 50 trophies be great markerting number, 100 goals for Argentina and maybe another go at a Copa will be his aims would think.

To lesser extent scoring record in CL etc may be a target.

Last edited:

Windhook

He will for sure want to score 2 more goals to reach that 100 goals milestone for Argentina. I am willing to bet that he will play 2024 Copa America.

I was wrong about that, Messi said he will continue to play for Argentina.

FCBfan22

He will play Copa America for sure, as one of the venues is rumoured to be in Argentina. After that, it's questionable.

Andresito

Staff member
He will play Copa America for sure, as it is in Argentina. After that, it's questionable.

Official source?

The 2024 Copa Am?rica had been expected to be hosted by Ecuador due to CONMEBOL's host rotation order. However, CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez said Ecuador had been nominated, but not yet chosen to organize the cup. In November 2022, the country declined to host the tournament. Peru and the United States have both expressed interest in organizing the tournament.

Home of Barca Fans