Sergiño Dest (loaned to PSV)

JamDav1982

Roberto is good on ball in final third and not the clueless player Semedo was in same areas.

What Roberto lacked was the ability to take on players one on one in tight areas and would pass back out in those situations.

Semedo had absolutely nothing to be a RB for Barca and was nothing but pace.

Dest is a step up from both as he has everything Semedo lacked on the ball and has the ability to go by players in way Roberto couldnt.

serghei

Roberto is worse than Dest at everything. No point in playing him as a RB looking at the age of Dest except to rest Dest. Sucks for Roberto but that's how it is. Even at passing and close ball control, I'd pick Dest, even considering that those are Roberto's best attributes.

It's early, and things could turn for the worse, but based on his last games, Dest is comfortably better than both Semedo and Roberto. It helps that the team is also rebuilding, so it's not as slow and stiff as last season, when Messi and Suarez fucked up nearly every counter by walking and not doing any runs.

Dest can be an incredible signing.

The way I see it, both Semedo and Roberto were good RBs that did their job well most of the time but were unable to be standouts, due to several shortcomings. Dest looks like a standout though, from an individual level as well. A player that adds plus value on top of what you can normally expect from a RB.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Roberto is good on ball in final third and not the clueless player Semedo was in same areas.

What Roberto lacked was the ability to take on players one on one in tight areas and would pass back out in those situations.

Semedo had absolutely nothing to be a RB for Barca and was nothing but pace.

Dest is a step up from both as he has everything Semedo lacked on the ball and has the ability to go by players in way Roberto couldnt.

For me Roberto was better than Semedo at going forward of course, but still very average. But defensively had some absolute shockers sometimes, that’s what stands out for me more.

JamDav1982

For me Roberto was better than Semedo at going forward of course, but still very average. But defensively had some absolute shockers sometimes, that?s what stands out for me more.

Semedo had shockers defensively as well.

Was atrocious in the 5 goal loss to Levante, the 3-0 to Roma and possibly worst defensive performance ever seen in the 8-2 to Bayern.

Roberto was not a RB but better than Semedo and far far better on the ball and in final third.

Birdy

Roberto is worse than Dest at everything. No point in playing him as a RB looking at the age of Dest except to rest Dest. Sucks for Roberto but that's how it is. Even at passing and close ball control, I'd pick Dest, even considering that those are Roberto's best attributes.
^
This. "it is what it is"

The only sad thing is that Dest arrival was needed in order for some people to wake up regarding the 'sufficiency' of Roberto

JamDav1982

^
This. "it is what it is"

The only sad thing is that Dest arrival was needed in order for some people to wake up regarding the 'sufficiency' of Roberto

I dont think anyone ever argued Roberto was the answer at RB just that he was better than Semedo who was out his depth.

Birdy

I dont think anyone ever argued Roberto was the answer at RB just that he was better than Semedo who was out his depth.

Many people here said he is 'good' 'ok' implying he is sufficient, which is not the case.

Anyhow, I am waiting to see if Koeman is going to make Dest 1st choice when Roberto will be back

BerkeleyBernie

So why Roberto gets isolated, when he plays there? Maybe because no one trusts he will come up with anything?

Umm...Messi? :lol: He's supposed to be the right forward player but he's not there most of the time. And where's the right midfield player? Also nowhere nearby or covered most of the time. Roberto looks around and the right side is outnumbered, so he passes back. He knows his job isn't to try to dribble past players on his own. He doesn't have the skills.

If Messi comes for the ball, he'll pass to him but Messi usually won't advance the ball down the right when he gets it.

Roberto will also go forward when uncovered and try to make runs in behind, looking for a ball over the top or a cross-field switch.

serghei

Umm...Messi? :lol: He's supposed to be the right forward player but he's not there most of the time. And where's the right midfield player? Also nowhere nearby or covered most of the time. Roberto looks around and the right side is outnumbered, so he passes back. He knows his job isn't to try to dribble past players on his own. He doesn't have the skills.

If Messi comes for the ball, he'll pass to him but Messi usually won't advance the ball down the right when he gets it.

Roberto will also go forward when uncovered and try to make runs in behind, looking for a ball over the top or a cross-field switch.

True. Dest has look great mostly vs Kiev and Ferencvaros, when Messi didn't play. I wouldn't be surprised for him to look closer to Roberto once Messi starts doing his thing.

It's not some rocket science. Having a player near you who is statue-like and doesn't move much is going to affect your game. Messi was a good partner for Suarez and that's it. For the rest - in particular, for the faster younger players - he limits their game.

JamDav1982

True. Dest has look great mostly vs Kiev and Ferencvaros, when Messi didn't play. I wouldn't be surprised for him to look closer to Roberto once Messi starts doing his thing.

It's not some rocket science. Having a player near you who is statue-like and doesn't move much is going to affect your game. Messi was a good partner for Suarez and that's it. For the rest - in particular, for the faster younger players - he limits their game.

Roberto as RB this season has third most passes and second most Key Passes for Barca in the league.

This 'look like Roberto' is a bit rich when Roberto in the same system as Semedo with Messi in team was in previous seasons amongst top for assists and key passes in the side.

Messi makes it more difficult but reason likes of Semedo has looked inept is his own ability. Roberto hasnt looked lost or some 'back pass' merchant as is made out.

Roberto was fine in possession and in final third even with Messi in team. What he lacked was top pace and ability to take men on but he played to those limitations and still produced on attacking side of game for most part.

Folk are putting to much blame on Messi.

serghei

Roberto as RB this season has third most passes and second most Key Passes for Barca in the league.

This 'look like Roberto' is a bit rich when Roberto in the same system as Semedo with Messi in team was in previous seasons amongst top for assists and key passes in the side.

Messi makes it more difficult but reason likes of Semedo has looked inept is his own ability. Roberto hasnt looked lost or some 'back pass' merchant as is made out.

Roberto was fine in possession and in final third even with Messi in team. What he lacked was top pace and ability to take men on but he played to those limitations and still produced on attacking side of game for most part.

Folk is putting to much blame on Messi.

Roberto rarely makes stuff happen in important games, because he lacks individual panache, in the form of speed, and dribbling. Taking men on is pretty important and really a fundamental attribute for a standout RB. It's the no1 thing to have in your toolbox when playing in a more isolated way. Dest seems to have this important thing which is lacking big time in Roberto's game.

serghei

If you look at Dest, he has the confidence in style and ball control to really move towards the opponent and draw markers. Both Roberto and Semedo recycled possession nearly every time they were in a neutral position with markers firmly set, which was a lot of times due to the very poor dynamics and speed of play of the team with Messi and Suarez "running" the top line.

That's why Dest (admitted it's early still) is a standout, and Roberto was not, despite the occasional good pass.

JamDav1982

Roberto rarely makes stuff happen in important games, because he lacks individual panache, in the form of speed, and dribbling. Taking men on is pretty important and really a fundamental attribute for a standout RB. It's the no1 thing to have in your toolbox when playing in a more isolated way. Dest seems to have this important thing which is lacking big time in Roberto's game.

That is not true and he has made things happen in final third in important games from RB.

Roberto had more than one very good assist vs Real and Atletico in recent years from RB and had a driving run that led to Messi goal in Bernabeu etc.

Who is arguing Roberto is a 'stand out RB'? He is not a top right back or what Barca need but better than Semedo who folk seem to try to group him with for limitations on ball.

He has been good in possession and going forward even allowing for his limitations and far far better than likes of Semedo in final third and on ball. It is/was not even close.

serghei

That is not true and he has made things happen in final third in important games from RB.

Roberto had more than one very good assist vs Real and Atletico in recent years from RB and had a driving run that led to Messi goal in Bernabeu etc.

Who is arguing Roberto is a 'stand out RB'? He is not a top right back or what Barca need but better than Semedo who folk seem to try to group him with for limitations on ball.

He has been good in possession and going forward even allowing for his limitations and far far better than likes of Semedo in final third and on ball. It is/was not even close.

OK, so basically you're baiting me to defend Semedo in a Roberto vs Semedo comparison. Didn't we do this like 3 times before? :lol: Even if you are right, let's move on.

The important thing is we have a very young RB that seems to be an improvement over everything we had since Alves on the position. With Alba being far better than most give him credit, we are pretty well set at RB and LB.

Home of Barca Fans