Scholes Vs Xavi (Not a direct comparison thread)

Jenks

I agree with him completely, i don't think "Barca spectacles" has anything to do with it

The fact that he was trying to compare Scholes to Gerrard, especially in the goalscoring department should have been ringing a few alarm bells. They don't even play the same position or role.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Cox was wrong to include Xavi in that article as he hasn't been a deep-lying playmaker for fucking years. he's an all-pitch playmaker and in recent seasons has been getting forward a fuckload, especially this campaign. should have included Busquets instead, as he's a YOUNG deep-lying playmaker so could, along with Big JM, represent a revival of the position. and then there's Xabi to consider as well. basically I think he just wanted to write about Xavi, Pirlo & Scholes.

the similarities between Scholes & Pirlo are remarkable, and the two of them are certain on a par in terms of ability. but in terms of the last decade/15 years, Xavi is a class above everyone, but they are definitely next in line (along with Rui Costa & Riquelme, although they are mediapuntas rather than deep-lying playmakers).

Completely agree.

Xavi has blurred the definition of a CM because he has dropped deeper than an AM and moved more up more so than a CM. There is no exact definition of his position and the reason for that is Iniesta. Take Deco for instance, he'd be the closest person to Xavi in terms of function not delivery. Deco dribbled the ball up front, Xavi channels the ball up front. Normally most people would include Deco and Kaka in similar fashion but what made Kaka the best player in the world was when he played as second or third forward and moved wide, more of a Zidane or Iniesta. Lampard is in the Xavi department.

You have Buscuits who plays deep, Xabi plays deep, and you have Aquilani who plays deep. The only player who is up coming in similar fashion to Xavi in my opinion is not Spanish, in fact uncharacteristically...English. Goes by the name of Wilshere. Many will not like this but I see beyond just duties or original position. Wilshere is what Xavi is to Barcelona. Someone who has a blurred position who plays as a deep lying play maker just as good as a forward play maker. What wilshere lacks in passing accuracy makes up for it in defensive duties.

Before Cules jump on my ass in irrational rage, this is by no means a direct comparison of who is better :lol:

Busquits will succeed Xabi, Pirlo, Scholes while Wilshere will succeed Xavi, all while each player has his strengths and weaknesses and style.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Deco wasn't all-pitch. Frank moved him there and he surprised many with his work-rate.

Lampard plays further forward than Xavi did until very recently.

I think Wilshere is more similar to Busi than Xavi, tbh. he could grow to be like Xavi (who started out as a deep-lying player after all) but I think his best strengths are fast first-time passes and screening & pressing defenders. to me he's very much a short Busquets.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Deco wasn't all-pitch. Frank moved him there and he surprised many with his work-rate.

Lampard plays further forward than Xavi did until very recently.

I think Wilshere is more similar to Busi than Xavi, tbh. he could grow to be like Xavi (who started out as a deep-lying player after all) but I think his best strengths are fast first-time passes and screening & pressing defenders. to me he's very much a short Busquets.

Deco was a bitch under Mourinho, do not underestimate the work he did for Mourinho's team, especially to win the CL. He is an asshole of the highest order, but I can't say I don't love him. Xavi wasn't all pitch, he was all ball until recently he became both which is what I think Wilshere will become. He screens defenders now to earn a spot and experience, but he has too much energy for Pirlo's patience, or Busquets calm.

Both Pirlo and Busquets do not play under urgency, that is the beauty of their game too. They won't make an uncomfortable pass, not to be confused with a 1 touch quick lay off but if necessary to hold onto the ball to make a better pass they will. Wilshere is all action, he wants to be on the ball which is like Xavi.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Wilshere was attacking mid fielder a while ago though... The loan spell he played with Bolton, he was really high up the pitch

Jenks

It is where Wenger sees him in future, but he wanted to play him deeper so that he would get more time on the ball. It will be interesting to see where he slots in when he returns. I think he'd be first choice in either Ramsey or Artetas position to be honest.

Ketoth

I've always rated Giggs higher than Scholes.

I think Scholes is ridiculously over rated. He was good but not THAT good.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
actually he's not a Catalan or Castillian so Nolan probably has at least a semi.

Actually yeah, I've been trying to bring back the memory of that Luis Suarez for years now. Possibly the greatest Spanish player to ever play for Barca before this generation.

And one of the reasons I became such a fan of the other Luis Suarez is because of his name. :lol: It's his destiny to play for Barca, goddamnit.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Actually yeah, I've been trying to bring back the memory of that Luis Suarez for years now. Possibly the greatest Spanish player to ever play for Barca before this generation.

And one of the reasons I became such a fan of the other Luis Suarez is because of his name. :lol: It's his destiny to play for Barca, goddamnit.

nah he can fuck off and play for Inter, which Luis Suarez also did. cunts like that aren't welcome here. not to mention there's even less space for him than there is for Neymar coz he's a player who (like Rossi) thrives on horizontal freedom which he wouldn't get here.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Inter should be banned from all Uruguayans for finishing off Forlan's career.

If anything he should go to Milan to replace Ibra (when he goes to Madrid), imagine a Suarez-Lopez pairing :wub:

Or better yet, if Liverpool was liquidated so Atletico could afford him. Not that they need you mind you when they have Salvio and Adrian, but just imagine the beautiful thuggery of Suarez coached by Simeone.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Inter should be banned from all Uruguayans for finishing off Forlan's career.

If anything he should go to Milan to replace Ibra (when he goes to Madrid), imagine a Suarez-Lopez pairing :wub:

Or better yet, if Liverpool was liquidated so Atletico could afford him. Not that they need you mind you when they have Salvio and Adrian, but just imagine the beautiful thuggery of Suarez coached by Simeone.

why not send him to Fiorentina? that's about the same level of team he's currently at.

but yeah, he's going to Inter to be the centrepiece of their rebuilding efforts. it's blatant.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Completely agree.

You have Buscuits who plays deep, Xabi plays deep, and you have Aquilani who plays deep. The only player who is up coming in similar fashion to Xavi in my opinion is not Spanish, in fact uncharacteristically...
Basque. (Ander Herrera)

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
why not send him to Fiorentina? that's about the same level of team he's currently at.

but yeah, he's going to Inter to be the centrepiece of their rebuilding efforts. it's blatant.

If Fiorentina magically could afford Suarez I'd have to cut my balls off or something to keep the jizz from flowing. Then again the only good player we have has the same role.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
If Fiorentina magically could afford Suarez I'd have to cut my balls off or something to keep the jizz from flowing. Then again the only good player we have has the same role.

fouling, diving, snarling, sitter-missing, racially abusive cuntbag?

man, what happened to JoJo? he used to be so cool!

Home of Barca Fans