Saudi Pro League

Temptation

Tbh, going for Benzema at this point hardly makes much sense either, last season wasn't great, half a year in Saudi league will only have made it worse, combined with the age.
Benzema will take a wage cut. CR7 won't I guess. That's literally the only reason.

Otherwise any tier-2 club would take CR7 on a short term contract.

Andresito

Staff member
Benzema will take a wage cut. CR7 won't I guess. That's literally the only reason.

Otherwise any tier-2 club would take CR7 on a short term contract.
What clubs were interested before he left for Saudi? Even Frankfurt laughed him away.

Morten

What clubs were interested before he left for Saudi? Even Frankfurt laughed him away.

There were other clubs interested, Sporting being one of them(not a surprise), of course.

But it quickly became clear Ronaldo wanted wages as if he was in his prime still, so there weren't any serious offers made, as a result.

Shame, he could have finished his career in Portugal, a real league, oh well.

Temptation

We'll never know. Only him, his agent and his team would know that.

But I am just thinking logically here. These days decent goalscorers are very rare and clubs are absolutely desperate so I can guarantee you that clubs just below the elite level would love to get him on a short term deal if he agrees to take a wage cut. Those clubs would immensely benefit from his goals, shirt sales and online traffic he'd generate the moment he signed.

Issue wasn't the lack of clubs interested. Issue was him being stupid and not taking a pay cut. He has more than enough money lmao. Playing 2 or 3 years for normal wages(normal wages for him would still be pretty good; 100k to 200k) wouldn't be a problem and would be a much better end to his career at a decent European club.

I can't understand why it hurts his ego to accept lesser wages in the last few years of his career.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

@Fati_Future_BallonDor your take on this as a CR7 fan?

I think he was absolutely daft to not accept reasonable wages. Would be so much better for his legacy than to go to that shithole.

Yeah he didnt want a pay cut + he wants to start every game. I always said if i would be Ronaldo, Messi or Ney i would rather choose a top5 club and accepting being a bench player than go to a 'noname' league. But these guys would rather retire than becoming a sub player.

Temptation

Yeah he didnt want a pay cut + he wants to start every game. I always said if i would be Ronaldo, Messi or Ney i would rather choose a top5 club and accepting being a bench player than go to a 'noname' league. But these guys would rather retire than becoming a sub player.
Ronaldo would start in a tier 2 club easily.

It's just his wages really.

Andresito

Staff member
Now Gerrard renewed until 2027. Damage control from Saudis to show that westerners want to stay after Hendo left? They probably gave his wage to Gerrard instead.

BJJ

W
@Fati_Future_BallonDor your take on this as a CR7 fan?

I think he was absolutely daft to not accept reasonable wages. Would be so much better for his legacy than to go to that shithole.
Why us Saudi Arabia a shithole?
I personally think the UK is an unsafe, dirty shithole.
No doubt Saudi has issues but they don't go around invading and occupying other countries and supporting genocide.
Henderson is just a brainless twat. Good he's left. He can wear his rainbow bands in Europe.

Temptation

W

Why us Saudi Arabia a shithole?
I personally think the UK is an unsafe, dirty shithole.
No doubt Saudi has issues but they don't go around invading and occupying other countries and supporting genocide.
Henderson is just a brainless twat. Good he's left. He can wear his rainbow bands in Europe.

It's more about the league. The league is shit.

Henderson took a massive L when he supported the LGBT community publicly and then went to Saudi for money. Makes him look like a mug.

Home of Barca Fans