Rodrygo

Jombi

50m is too much for a teenager but we will be paying 200m plus for 20 something players later.

Sigh. One of these lottery tickets they bought is bound to churn out good for them. Sigh.

The interesting thing is that they have done this for a very long time now. They almost never buy players older than 25 and have hardly had any net spending in the past 5 years as they have won CL after CL. Look at their backline in the CL final. 3 out of the 4 players they started with were bought as 18 year olds a long time ago. Its not necessary to chase after PSG superstars every transfer window if quality players are bought when they are available.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The interesting thing is that they have done this for a very long time now. They almost never buy players older than 25 and have hardly had any net spending in the past 5 years as they have won CL after CL. Look at their backline in the CL final. 3 out of the 4 players they started with were bought as 18 year olds a long time ago. Its not necessary to chase after PSG superstars every transfer window if we buy quality players when they are available.

That, to me is the smart strategy that we should pursue but so many Barca fans are saying no no no, you shouldn't pay that kind of money for youth players and most of them will fail anyway and there will always be the next big star next year... So they say. And next year comes the same stuff happens, Real Madrid scoops up talent quietly and while we chase high flying targets to no avail.

Of course we don't know what will happen to these players they bought. But to me this is the much smarter approach than waiting for players to become established and really expensive and start chasing them. How many more Coutinho's and Dembele's (I know he is different, we did pursue him earlier but he rejected us) will we have in the future? Each will cost us 200m plus IF we can get our hands on them. This kind of approach will suck our finances dry.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

50m is too much for a teenager but we will be paying 200m plus for 20 something players later.

Sigh. One of these lottery tickets they bought is bound to churn out good for them. Sigh.

When was the last time we beat Real Madrid to sign a player when both parties showed interest? Neymar I believe, and it was because we promised more money, both legal and illegal. And we have been losing out to them every since. Either it is because our brand that is losing the allure a bit, or our management has been poor, or both.

Sigh.

Gomes.

Real Madrid are very happy how that turned out...

Senador Romario

If you don't play the lottery, you can't win the lottery.
That is true.
On the other hand, if you spend all the money on lottery and fail, you won't have the money for less risky things.

Arthur 40m
Pavon 30m
Rodrygo 50m
= 120m

Or:
Griezmann 100m
Thiago 70m

I mean, Rodrygo alone is 50m and Thiago is 70m.

Do you understand my point about lottery tickets and safer options?
We can't buy 3-4 youngsters and Griezmann and Thiago.
We can buy though only one kid each summer in whom we have faith and 2 proven players.

This is why the board is not stupid for not buying EVERY Rodrygo and Pavon out there.
I'm going to say something you will find ridiculous, but i dont think a peak Pavon will be inferior to Griezman at all. At all.

M

MessiCam

I'm going to say something you will find ridiculous, but i dont think a peak Pavon will be inferior to Griezman at all. At all.

That's all good and well but when does this peak Pavon happen? Next year, 2 years? 3 years?

Griezmann is a good market opportunity and ready to challenge Suarez for a spot from the get go.

We already have too many young talents to accommodate... Dembele, Alena, Arthur, O Busquets, Samper and soon Puig.
[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] and I don't see eye to eye on basically everything but this is something we agree on. With Coutinho already here, bringing in Thiago/Pjanic and Griezmann would see us set for at least another 3 years where the youngsters would be given ample time to develop.

Jombi

Coutinho is likely to be another Cesc if Griezmann forces him to be a midfielder in a 3 man midfield. Signing Griezmann just because he is an opportunity (while ignoring his crazy wage and signing on fee) when we need something else is not rational IMO. Griezmann can only be a success if both Dembele and Suarez are permanently benched IMO. Griezmann would have to play with Messi and Coutinho up front in that scenario. We absolutely need 3 men in midfield who can control the midfield.

Are Thiago and Pjanic available? Or are they fantasies at this point? If we are to believe the bosses, we wont even sign Thiago for 40m. I have seen zero credible reports from Juve or Bayern that they want to offload those two players for any reasonable sum of money.

I also think its a mistake to ignore young players who dominate the biggest leagues in the world because of the obsession with third division Barca B players which hasnt produced a definite starter for our first team in almost 10 years.

Last edited:

Messi983

That was MD/Sport propaganda. Real Madrid wasn't seriously pursuing him.

He was on Madrid's papers frontpages for weeks and even on the day we've signed him Marca was reporting RM is very close to sign him. It could be just Mendes's propaganda work but I think they were seriously interested.

Jombi

He was on Madrid's papers frontpages for weeks and even on the day we've signed him Marca was reporting RM is very close to sign him. It could be just Mendes's propaganda work but I think they were seriously interested.

Definitey Mendes propaganda. Makes zero sense for them to splash on him when they were stacked in midfield.

Jombi

So stacked that they bought Ceballos the very next season...

Ceballos was a very cheap 16m opportunity for them. They pounce on such opportunities all the time as they dont have to splash big. But he has hardly played for them.

Senador Romario

That's all good and well but when does this peak Pavon happen? Next year, 2 years? 3 years?

Griezmann is a good market opportunity and ready to challenge Suarez for a spot from the get go.

We already have too many young talents to accommodate... Dembele, Alena, Arthur, O Busquets, Samper and soon Puig.
[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] and I don't see eye to eye on basically everything but this is something we agree on. With Coutinho already here, bringing in Thiago/Pjanic and Griezmann would see us set for at least another 3 years where the youngsters would be given ample time to develop.
Valverde is not going to Bench Suarez. I bet he will change the system to accommodate Suarez and Griezman in the same line up and it will be 100% disfunctional. Also signing Griezman means that Dembele is not going to have a real chance to be important part of the team in the near future.

Home of Barca Fans