Real Madrid

Morten

Not to be a dick, but this sounds like a case of sour grapes. "Who cares about the CDR anyway..."

Have you seen our injury list? I wish we went through, but this will help the squad recovering and we can have more focus on the league. If i was a Barca fan i wouldnt cheer too much over this.

Capitan Puyol

So, the Copa del Rey is already on the final stages. There are only semifinals (2 matches) and the final in may. So if you went down in the early stages it could help, but now it doesn't matter. You have already played 6 matches in CdR, and as I said there are only two more in the beginning of february and the final in may.

Morten

So, the Copa del Rey is already on the final stages. There are only semifinals (2 matches) and the final in may. So if you went down in the early stages it could help, but now it doesn't matter. You have already played 6 matches in CdR, and as I said there are only two more in the beginning of february and the final in may.
The two extra matches would have taken its toll on this injury-ridden squad. As i have said, i would have prefered to go through, but there are positive aspects to going out.

Neeraj

Lol, I actually agree with Morten on this one. With their injury list, they can now focus on one game a week till CL resumes; it may help them in both of those competitions. Of course, I'm always happy when Madrid gets knocked out, but maybe it wouldn't have been the worst thing if they had to play 2 touch semi final games...... before they got knocked out...:lucho:

Nucky

Adios Madrid! :lol: Also gotta give respect to Danilo for not celebrating his goal vs Madrid. My favorite Real player from now on :lol:

Vilarrubi

Lol, I actually agree with Morten on this one. With their injury list, they can now focus on one game a week till CL resumes; it may help them in both of those competitions. Of course, I'm always happy when Madrid gets knocked out, but maybe it wouldn't have been the worst thing if they had to play 2 touch semi final games...... before they got knocked out...:lucho:

C'mon.. if we go through tonight it's only 3 more games.. with the last one being in May.

If we draw Alaves then it would be great... even fans on the RM forums are saying this.. it's never a good thing to get knocked out of any tournament.. especially when there's only 3 games left. The "rest" thing is an excuse.

BBZ8800

Not to be a dick, but this sounds like a case of sour grapes. "Who cares about the CDR anyway..."

I don't mean anything bad, but it really seems that Barcelona's fans are more or less the only fans in Spain, and in whole Europe, who still care about a national cup.

I have no idea why.
Probably because of that crazy treble, quadropule and similar statistical records.

I am not saying that we are playing 100% in a CDR, but it seems for years that majority of other teams play with a mixed lineup in a cup, and a general plan is:
= we will play with squad players and 2-3-4 key players, but we'll tell them not to play with 100%
= if we will win even with that team filled with squad players=awesome. Then, in a semis and final, we will finally play with a strongest lineup, ONLY then
= on the other hand, if our lineup filled with squad players gets knocked out=who cares? It was the most meaningless trophy in the world, and we will have more strength and focus on actually important trophies like CL and La liga

About this lineup filled with squad players, in Barca's example that would mean:
-- playing La liga with: Mats, Alba, Pique, Umtiti, Roberto, Busi, Iniesta, Raki, MSN
-- and playing cup with: Cillessen, Digne, Masch, Mathieu (or one starting Cb), Vidal, Gomes, Denis, Rafinha, Arda, Paco, one out of MSN

And then, if a team consisted of Rafinha, Denis, Gomes, Arda, Paco and similar can reach semis=awesome.
If not=who cares anyway?

Imo, this is how 99% of European teams play national cups since 2000' till today.
ONLY once you reach semis, teams opt to play with a full lineup.

On the other hand, we have naive clubs like Barca who for some reason often play CDR matches as if they are playing against Bayern in a CL semis.
Messi played against Bilbao, Bilbao and Sociedad.
Neymar played against Bilbao, Bilbao, Sociedad.
Suarez played against Bilbao, Bilbao, Sociedad.

It is too early to say, but it is hard to tell who is an actual "winner" in this story: Barca playing CDR with almost a full strength or Real getting knocked out.

If in April and May our team will still have 100% of strength=then playing MSN in a crappy CDR matches was an awesome decision.
If we will be dead tired in a CL quarters like against Atletico in the past=well then, we were idiots and lost 1-2-5-10% points of stamina because of a Mickey Mouse CDR Trophy about whom nobody cares, but us.

I don't mean anything rude, I am not from Spain and I have no idea what is our obsession with a CDR (politics? History? just being naive?), but as years go by, I get a feeling that Fc Barcelona is the only big team in Europe who still cares about a CDR.

But then again, that will have it's consequences.
(People will now write that we were winning Cdr in our treble and sixtuple seasons. Well, back then we were miles and miles better than all other teams, so we could played on three fronts. Currently not only that we aren't the best, but RM has quite a larger sum of La liga points won over the last 12 Monts. Around 15 points more.
And even now, they decided to lose in a CDR, and we decided to play with a full strength.)

I don't know, I am probably too oriented on results in La Liga and a CL.
If I were our coach, I would say in media that we will play with 100% in all competitions (the same as Zidane), but I would be happy to actually lose in a CDR (on purpose, to some extent).
If my opponents (RM) would "buy" my story that we accidently got knocked out and if they continued to play with 100% energy in a CDR, I would be over the moon.

I still can't shake off a feeling that other teams (RM) are losing in a cup on purpose to concentrate on a CL and La liga.

And our fans are jumping out of luck in topics like this one, as if we are winners in this story :rolleyes:
RM is all about money. They will lose in competitions which don't bring any money (CDR), or any fame (I would dare to say).
While we are probably playing too much fair play and we try to play in all competitions.
Again, it worked while we were 2 times stronger than all other teams in the world.
But today... It could turn out in the end to be extremely naive.

Last edited:
F

FlaFCB

The treble IS Floper's and their fanbase biggest obsession, because Barça has two, and they have none. You should search the web and find out how much rm fans talk about it every season. madrid media was talking about it non stop as well. One has to be really out of touch with reality, to think they don't care about the cdr. Without it, there's no treble.

And there's only 3 games left in the cdr, for the teams that reach the final. And the last one is only in the end of May. 2 extra matches won't make that much of a difference.

barcafan161

yeah it's not like the final clashes with big games now.

khaled_a_d

I don't mean anything bad, but it really seems that Barcelona's fans are more or less the only fans in Spain, and in whole Europe, who still care about a national cup

That is true if you are still living in 2008
Look at the list of clubs that won national cup tournaments with a up 10 years prior to that date and after and you will know that clubs now care about their cup too much.
Just a hint,before 2008 Barca and RM have failed to win CDR for 10 years,after 2008 they have won a total of 6 out of 8 with the other one gone for the new strong AM and Sevilla,No more Espanyol,Zaragoza,Mallorca,Betis winning it anymore

It goes the same for most National cups,teams care about it,fans care about it. You are living in denial if you think otherwise.
Is it as important as League & CL? Hell no. But it is still important

Last edited:
Especially as there's only one cup in Spain. And three of the top five teams in the world compete for it.

2 cup systems are retarded though. Definitely in France, maybe not in England now considering the number of teams aiming for a trophy, then again they play too many games over there.

BBZ8800

That is true if you are still living in 2008
Look at the list of clubs that won national cup tournaments with a up 10 years prior to that date and after and you will know that clubs now care about their cup too much.
Just a hint,before 2008 Barca and RM have failed to win CDR for 10 years,after 2008 they have won a total of 6 out of 8 with the other one gone for the new strong AM and Sevilla,No more Espanyol,Zaragoza,Mallorca,Betis winning it anymore

It goes the same for most National cups,teams care about it,fans care about it. You are living in denial if you think otherwise.
Is it as important as League & CL? Hell no. But it is still important

Does that mean that Barca&RM care about the cup (ok, we know that Barca do care)?
Or it means that Barca&RM are so much stronger than all opponents (remember the talk about why Messi and CR7 are scoring so much goals today compared with Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rivaldo etc, because Barca and RM are way stronger and richer than opponents in 1995 or 2005) and they can win CDR even with Rafinha, Arda, Denis are similar players?

When Bayern wins a German cup, does it mean that Bayern really, really cares about a cup or that Bayern is miles stronger than all other opponents and they will win it more or less, no matter in which lineup or with how much motivation they play?

I could exaggerate and say: when Barca wins a cup of Catalonia, is it because we care about it soooo much or because other teams are a total crap and we can win with any lineup?
And when you look at a list of winners of a cup of Catalonia, what does that list tell you?
Not too much, for me...

Home of Barca Fans