Real Madrid

NotInHere

Thank you very much, you proved my point earlier that these two players are of different leagues. While the difference between the two in terms of stats is marginal (again, Ronaldo scoring a few more goals is all there is), Messi is considered having a bad year while Ronaldo is considered having a great year. ;)

Messi has become a victim of his own success.
yeah true, we have higher standards for Messi than what we have for CR7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I already answered that. "I'm saying that him breaking those 2 records doesn't really matter for this Ballon d'Or because It's something that he worked on for years and he got it in 2014 which is his weakest season in a long time. People tend to misunderstand that Balon d'Or is an award for a calendar year and those 2 records have little to do with it." . Guys just be honest, Messi in one hell of a player but this season was weak by his standards and both Ronaldo and Neur probably deserve this Ballon d'Or more than he does.

What the heck does that mean??

You can just brush off these records because "XYZ has been working on it for years"? Why don't YOU try to work on it? And this is not just about Messi. Ronaldo and others too. You made it sound so lightly as if it was something achievable rather easily as long as you take the time to work on it.

I

instinct

It isn't possible to enjoy two great players without throwing stats at each other. It's beyond annoying. In the Ronaldinho era nobody cared about stats, everyone just enjoyed but nowadays we can just read whoscored every day without watching football since stats are the only important thing.

There are certain things which can't be measured with stats and those things are essential for football. Joy and entertainment seem to be worth nothing, if Messi doesn't score at least 2 goals per game to compete with Ronaldo. Football is not mathematics. Sad and frustrating.

L

linetty

Thank you very much, you proved my point earlier that these two players are of different leagues. While the difference between the two in terms of stats is marginal (again, Ronaldo scoring a few more goals is all there is), Messi is considered having a bad year while Ronaldo is considered having a great year. ;)

This.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It isn't possible to enjoy two great players without throwing stats at each other. It's beyond annoying. In the Ronaldinho era nobody cared about stats, everyone just enjoyed but nowadays we can just read whoscored every day without watching football since stats are the only important thing.

There are certain things which can't be measured with stats and those things are essential for football. Joy and entertainment seem to be worth nothing, if Messi doesn't score at least 2 goals per game to compete with Ronaldo. Football is not mathematics. Sad and frustrating.

Amen.

Morten

As i have said before, Ronaldo has had a fairly standard year by his standard. Statistically he was better last year, and the year before.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As i have said before, Ronaldo has had a fairly standard year by his standard. Statistically he was better last year, and the year before.

Standard? :lol: Even Ronaldo himself was saying something to the effect of he is playing the best football/having the best form of his career.

Statistically he was better last year, and the year before? How so?

Morten

Standard? :lol: Even Ronaldo himself was saying something to the effect of he is playing the best football/having the best form of his career.

Statistically he was better last year, and the year before? How so?

I see no difference, statistically, its pretty much the same level as he has always peformed for us. How has he been significantly better than in the years before?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I see no difference, statistically, its pretty much the same level as he has always peformed for us. How has he been significantly better than in the years before?

If you compare his goals/assists so far this season and those of the last several seasons, you will notice that he is on a much faster pace in racking up both. This is only the 13th round after all, which is about a 3rd of all games this season, and in theory, he could be on this pace to blow his stats from the previous seasons out of the water.

The man himself had said it on November 10th, 2014:

Cristiano Ronaldo claims he is in the best form of his life after a blistering start to the season.

The 29-year-old has scored 23 times in 17 games this term as Real Madrid have romped to the top of La Liga and already reached the last 16 of the Champions League.

Having enjoyed a stellar 2014 - blighted only by a World Cup group stage exit with Portugal - the Champions League winner and Copa del Rey victor was humble about his record-breaking efforts.

"Perhaps this is the best form I’ve ever been in but every year I try to improve on the previous one," he told reporters as he picked up Marca's Pichichi award for top goalscorer and the Alfredo Di Stefano award for best player in 2013-14.

"There will come a time when I cannot improve but I will at least be able to step up in terms of my figures. My statistics, in goals and assists, aren’t so bad.

"I want to keep learning and working hard in the same way I have been doing up until now."

Ronaldo is favourite to beat the likes of Germany and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, Argentina and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, and Netherlands and Bayern winger Arjen Robben to this year's Ballon d'Or award in January, which would see him claim the accolade for the third time in his career.

"Winning an award for a second or third time is always good," the Seleccao skipper added. "My objective is always to win collectively, with the team, but also individually.

"I work very hard to be able to reach the level needed to win every kind of trophy. Playing football is what I enjoy and I will never tire of winning things."

Last edited:

MaxY

Devil May Cry
What the heck does that mean??

You can just brush off these records because "XYZ has been working on it for years"? Why don't YOU try to work on it? And this is not just about Messi. Ronaldo and others too. You made it sound so lightly as if it was something achievable rather easily as long as you take the time to work on it.
I'm not taking anything away from Messi or anyone else. All that I'm doing is saying that you guys give way too much credit to the record. Ballon d'Or is the award for the best player in YEAR 2014. Messi has been playing in CL and La Liga since like 2004 or something? Those records do have some impact but not that much because it's a result of playing for 10 years ,it's attributed to all of those 10(?) years of hard work ,not just 2014.

Kohe321

I'm not taking anything away from Messi or anyone else. All that I'm doing is saying that you guys give way too much credit to the record. Ballon d'Or is the award for the best player in YEAR 2014. Messi has been playing in CL and La Liga since like 2004 or something? Those records do have some impact but not that much because it's a result of playing for 10 years ,it's attributed to all of those 10(?) years of hard work ,not just 2014.

You don't need to repeat your point man, we get it. We just completely disagree with what you're saying that breaking the records hardly counts as a noteworthy feat for this year.

Last edited:

Siberia

Everything aside, I like your Taeyang pic xD

Morten

If you compare his goals/assists so far this season and those of the last several seasons, you will notice that he is on a much faster pace in racking up both. This is only the 13th round after all, which is about a 3rd of all games this season, and in theory, he could be on this pace to blow his stats from the previous seasons out of the

In 2013 he had like 70 goals in the year 2013, he will probably end up with 60 or something in 2014, assists i dont know. 2012 probably the sàme as this year. He is the same as always.

Home of Barca Fans