Rafael Márquez

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
If Rafa's only hope is to listen to a scrub like Bruno Alves, I think it's time for him to retire.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
The same Bruno Alves who gifted Rooney a goal in the quarter finals of the Champions League? :lol:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
The one and only. The sad thing is we were linked with him over the summer, I hated the idea of spending good money on such an average defender but we could use him right now!

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
yeh when we see the body positioning of marquez and compare it to what should be done as a defender...

shows everything what marquez is doing wrong.

Co0ter

In previous seasons Marquez has made plenty of stupid tackles around the 18 and cost us a few PKs. He is not that great of a defender- I don't think he was ever intended to be. He WAS a decent defender who had good long range passing skills.

Argue all you want, he got turned inside out by a scrub way too easily. Think about it also, it's not like he's been playing the entire games either so he's not even tired. He has come in for 20-30 minutes and still can't even get the job done- actually the opposite.

I like to defend players usually when fans get on them too easily for things. But I never really liked Marquez and after this season so far I really wont mind seeing him go at all. Chyn needs to step it up as well.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
In previous seasons Marquez has made plenty of stupid tackles around the 18 and cost us a few PKs. He is not that great of a defender- I don't think he was ever intended to be. He WAS a decent defender who had good long range passing skills.

Argue all you want, he got turned inside out by a scrub way too easily. Think about it also, it's not like he's been playing the entire games either so he's not even tired. He has come in for 20-30 minutes and still can't even get the job done- actually the opposite.

I like to defend players usually when fans get on them too easily for things. But I never really liked Marquez and after this season so far I really wont mind seeing him go at all. Chyn needs to step it up as well.

Well it wasn't just his passing, Rafa when focused is a great game reader and our overall defensive positioning has a habit of improving when he's on form. I don't believe it's a coincidence that Puyol, Pique and even Milito for a short period of time before an injury returned horrible-Rafa, played some of their best football when partnered with in form Rafa.

The thing is he's always been a below average man to man defender. He's pretty good in the air but he's slow and clumsy. Even at his best he could be beaten and had a habit of over or under tackling, and has always been a card gathering machine. When he is really having a good game, his positioning is so good that it makes up for it, such as in the 2006 CL vs Chelsea, but when he fails to properly read the game, it leads to well..stuff like this. Every single time he comes back from a notable injury he has at least one game where he's off tune and has his hand in at least one goal, unfortunately at this point it's been more than one game like this.

T

Tabz321

:ibra:

Hello loyal Barca supporters I have something to get off my chest....Does anyone agree with me that Marquez is not really that good??? In the match against Zaragoza when he came on as a subsitute we managed to conceed a goal beacuse of him.

Against Osasuna he yet again failed to defend properly & we conceeded a goal. He is not on form at all & does not look very strong.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
:ibra:

Hello loyal Barca supporters I have something to get off my chest....Does anyone agree with me that Marquez is not really that good??? In the match against Zaragoza when he came on as a subsitute we managed to conceed a goal beacuse of him.

Against Osasuna he yet again failed to defend properly & we conceeded a goal. He is not on form at all & does not look very strong.

Hey Tabz!
Most of us agree that Marquez has been a liability ever since he came back from his injury. Although I think it´s fair to say that against Zaragoza it wasn´t his fault that Xavi lost possession which made Rafa forced to deal with 2 Zaragoza players. Vs. Osasuna he could have done better to close the right flank but then again, Chyg also looked very bad before he got subbed and I think we were all content with pep´s choice to sub him for Marquez.

ryuken

Just play Marquez in the Copa Del Rey, with this kinda form he cant play la liga games or we will concede pretty every single game. Lucky that Alves is back, so Puyol can go back to a CB along with Pique.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
:icon_confused:Rafa lacks skill? Funny, I thought that's the one thing you can't question him on!

maybe he gets his info from the same place sky presenters and commentators do.

a couple of recently heard utterances: "abidal's playing in the middle for france, and he's not the quickest." and "without ronaldo real madrid lack pace, I mean kaka's not quick, granero, raul, higuain."

Home of Barca Fans