Quique Setien

Tackle

I can see it working if we are using another 2 FBs and only 2 strikers. So 352/532 type of formation.
Pique/Lenglet Semedo with Alba & Roberto on the flanks, 3 midfielders along Griezmann & Messi in attack.
This was my expectations of his 352 tbh, and despite never liking the guy I thought it might be good in protecting defense and leaving Messi in his comfort zone without putting asymmetrical team.

Correct.

The only 3 back systems still in use today in division one football are ones that have two FBs on either flank that drop back to form a line of 5 defenders during the defensive phase. Setien's version is naive a reckless to say the least.

I understand the bloke wants to create superiority and numerical advantages in the midfield to play better combinations, but this is certainly not the way to do it. Pep's tactic of having inverted FBs push up to occupy the midfield with the two CMs being given license to wander into the final third to create is not perfect, but is a far better system than this current abomination.

Birdy

3-4-3 is impossible in modern day football. With every team now having full backs attacking and wingers, it's really a recipe for disaster.

Even the archaic Italian teams have given up on that concept of 3-4-3.

This shit will NEVER EVER work.

Not really..
Conte, who recently won an EPL title, employed Cezar Azplicueta, a standard fullback to play the rightCB position in the three at the back.
The rationale behind that, was that Azplicueta was fast enough to cover spaces when possession got lost.
Bear in mind that Chelsea was a much more defensive team than what Setien has in mind.
We have already seen Roberto playing twice the Rright-CB position and not the wing one, which was reserved for Semedo today: the reason is that he is one of the fastest players off the ball we have, so in case of a mistake ground will be covered quickly.
The same principle i believe made Umtiti start on the Left-CB position as he is, apart fro left-footed, faster than Lenglet.

I think it can definitely work, and it FINALLY frees Messi from any defensive duties on the right wing of the attack..

George_Costanza

No excuse for Setien to start Rakitic in his first two games. I don't want to hate the guy after just one week but I thought him coming would be the end of Rakitic, not the opposite.

BBZ8800

Mindboggling that we sold Todibo given that Setien plays 3 CBs.

In the first match he played 2 CBs and Roberto.
Today 1 CB, Firpo and Roberto.

I think that he actually WANTS to have fullbacks in a 3 men defense to offer some hybrid of: defending, pace, double covering of flanks (Semedo-Roberto today for example) and a better build up.
He wants to get a numerical advantage.
That is basically 1 CB dropped, 2+2 wingers, 3 midfielders and 2 attackers.
Basically, 1-4-3-2.
We get 9 creative players on paper, at the expense of defending.

I think that he doesn't want 3 classical CBs in a 3men defense :/

He could have played Pique-Umtiti-Lenglet against Granada.
He didn't want to...

Last edited:

BBZ8800

So, I won't be surprised if he'll play 2CBs+1 fullback or 1CB+2 fullbacks all the time.

For example:
1CB+4 fullbacks lineup: Mats - Firpo, Pique, Roberto - Alba, Frenkie, Arthur, Rakitic/Vidal, Semedo - Griezz, Messi
Or:
2CBs+3 fullbacks lineup: Mats - Umtiti/Lenglet, Pique, Roberto - Alba, Frenkie, Arthur, Rakitic/Vidal, Semedo - Griezz/Messi

In 433 we have:
2 CBs
2 fullbacks
3 midfielders
3 attackers (2 of them wingers)
Or:
2 Cbs
4 wingers (LB, RB, LW, RW)
3 midfielders
1 CF

With his 352, he gets:
1 CB (1 CB lost)
4 wingers (Alba, Firpo, Roberto, Semedo)=the same
3 midfielders=the same
2 CFs (an extra attacker earned)

Basically, he is trading 1 CB for 1 attacker and more possession/creative players.

CatalinR10

No excuse for Setien to start Rakitic in his first two games. I don't want to hate the guy after just one week but I thought him coming would be the end of Rakitic, not the opposite.

you wanted him to start Frenkie-Busi-Arthur midfield against fucking Ibiza with Valencia game around the corner ? :lol:

mc_lovin

I just want a normal manager, who prefers 4-3-3, and progresses the ball through midfield. Not some chaotic 3-4-3/3-5-2 systems or Valverdian fullback progressions.

Hopefully Setien is not as unflexible as he looks. But I guess we can tell after Valencia (full squad etc) with some degree of certainty how things will play out. Right now Im rather pessimistic.

abbbs97

"I didn't like the team obviously. I loved that we were more precise, but I understand what the difficulties were. This will be good for us, because we draw conclusions for the future. When you do things wrong that's when you draw conclusions to correct them."

Hopefully this means that he wont use the 3-4-3 formation again. Especially with one CB.

BBZ8800

I just want a normal manager, who prefers 4-3-3, and progresses the ball through midfield. Not some chaotic 3-4-3/3-5-2 systems or Valverdian fullback progressions.

Hopefully Setien is not as unflexible as he looks. But I guess we can tell after Valencia (full squad etc) with some degree of certainty how things will play out. Right now Im rather pessimistic.

I know that I will get replies from [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] how 433 from Pep's era is not dead or figured out, but let's calm down and analyze some stats from recent years:
1. Pep played 433 in the first 3 seasons
Then he moved to an extra midfielder Cesc in 2011/12. So, he tried to even "level up" his 433.
It is hard to tell:
1) did he try that because 433 was getting figured out?
2) or he just wanted experimenting

2) Tito continued his work, but our 433 was getting weaker than in Pep's era
3) then came Tata and our 433 was even worse than during Pep and Tito
So, we see declining of our 3men midfield over years
4) then Lucho came. For 1 and a half years, 433 started to work again, but in the 2nd part of 2015/16, it started to decline again
In 2016/17, Lucho turned to 343 to get an extra midfielder (Roberto played as a hybrid RB-RCM).
Now, a question again: has he switched to 4 midfielders because he was crazy or something was "wrong" with a 3men midfield in 2017 (either due to the opponents figured us out or due to poor midfielders in our team?)
5. Then EV came and in the beginning he turned to 442 because 3 midfielders were NOT ENOUGH anymore to dominate the opponents.
And basically, we played the best under EV when we played 442 with 4 midfielders.
In the 2nd season, we switched to 433, and results wise, we became weaker than with 442.
This season, we continued with 433 and our results, domination and running was way worse each new Month.

Now, when you look at a bigger picture, isn't it fair to ask a question: is it even POSSIBLE to play a successful 433 in 2020, which will dominate the Europe?
If you think that it is POSSIBLE, then: surely it is not possible with our current OLD rooster where Messi doesn't run, and Suarez, Raki, Vidal, Busi, Pique, Alba are old.

So, you have 2 questions:
1. is it possible to play a successful 433 in 2020? (People will mention Liverpool, Real, City)
2. if yes, then you surely need way more athletic and younger players to do that
And now, a million dollar question:
= since it is hard to dominate and execute 433 in 2020, what to do when your core is old, physically drained and declined and unmotivated?
1) should you try with 433 again even though it failed too many times in recent years with a current rooster
2) or will you try something else (Pep in 2012, Lucho in 2017, EV's 442 in 2018, Setien's 352 in 2020)?

What if:
1. our team is so old and finished that it is very hard to execute majority of formations due to their physical limitations?
2. what if you can't force them to train and run too much, since they are old and dead, and: it is what is, you just have to accept, adjust and get as much as possible from them?

I mean, let's be honest: EV is gone for only 8 days, and an optimism around a new coach has already gone.
And questions like: is our team capable or running and winning anymore=are growing more and more after every single new match.

Imo, it is very, very likely: that our team can't run too much.
That they can't press and move too much.
That we are limited tactically due to those physical limitations.
And since younger players are mostly bad, we can't do anything but to play those amigos.
And then again, with amigos, we are limited tactically, in terms of running, pressing, rotating.

And then you have fans who want:
1. beautiful play
2. 433
3. wins
4. youngsters in a team
5. more intensity in training

Again, the most likely answer is: you can't get it all.
It is what it is. You can choose only 1-2 things and that's it :valverde2:

** I am not saying that we can't play 433 today.
But with these players, you will get a shitty, slow, boring, sterile 433 from EV's days.
Basically:
1. you can get a shitty version of a granny slow 433
2. or you can try something new, which will probably end in an even bigger disaster like Lucho's 343 or Setien's 352/343 :lol:

Last edited:

Havesaks

2 games, 2 wins. Its all good. Good job, Setien. Right now they are trying stuff out, like they should, and Hopefully they find a better understanding of the squad to make us win all 3 titles.

Home of Barca Fans