Quique Setien

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
How about both ends of the spectrum are absolute knobheads? Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, almost unthinkable I know:
1) Valverde is shit.
2) Setien needs to go if he doesnt deliver titles (first season).

No dude, we're either going to win the treble now or not win a single game for the rest of the season without the league master Ernie!

serghei

How about both ends of the spectrum are absolute knobheads? Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, almost unthinkable I know:
1) Valverde is shit.
2) Setien needs to go if he doesnt deliver titles (first season).

How I wish Liverpool sacked Klopp after the first 6 months... :lol:

mc_lovin

How I wish Liverpool sacked Klopp after the first 6 months... :lol:

You want to compare Liverpools standards to ours? And Klopp to Setien? I would be more forgiving towards Xavi for example, but not Setien (who I like a lot). We are a title contender as well, not Liverpool when Klopp took over. Heck, even our rebuild starts next season at the earliest.

Last edited:

Rory

Ok, let's see who will win more points in this season, EV or Setien, fair play.

Someone asked me a few days ago:
I said that EV got a bad team since we just lost 0:4 to Psg, 0:3 to Juve, lost La Liga and lost Neymar.
People said: you think that Neymar was bad, so you can't say that EV got a weak team.

Now, let's apply the same standards here.
Probably 80% of fans hate Suarez, want him benxhed and sold.
So, if that shitty player is out, how can that be an excuse for Setien?
What is next: Raki was injured, lol?

You guys wanted Suarez out and now he is out with an injury.
You wanted Griezz as a No9, now you will have it.
You wanted a coach who follows Cruijff's style, now you have it.
For a Cruijff's style, Griezz is a better fit than Suarez.

If Setien wants a lot of movement, he has: Fati, Dembele, Griezz, Messi, Perez.
Arthut, Frenkie, Busi, Puig, Vidal.

If Setien will turn them into playing good and winning titles=he is awesome.
If he fails in playing beautiful=our players sucks.
If he fails to win La Liga with Messi, movement and knowledge=he sucks more than EV.

Quite simple.

Suddenly everything is an excuse:
1. Real got stronger suddenly
2. We lost Suarez, lol

I get what you're saying about people bringing up you talking about neymar being bad etc. I've personally been critical of Suarez in the past but have mentioned he still gets the goals. It's not so much that I want suarez gone more that he should have a strong candidate to challenge him which I'm sure you'd agree with. The issue now is that we don't have a player who's challenging for Suarez's 9 position nor do we now have suarez so we are definitely weaker. We do have Griezmann so maybe he can fill the boots in a different way.

I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions about what people will say before they've said it. Maybe you've noticed patterns on the forum over they years and are applying that to this so fair enough but again let's wait and see. For me I'm pretty sure I've said the board, squad and manager are all problems and many others have too. It hasn't just been everything is valverde's fault. If Setien does as good as Valverde has this season with no pre season, little time with the squad (I'll concede the suarez being out point) then it's simply unfair to criticise him.

Let's forget everything about who the manager was and who it is now. You can't expect a manager that is appointed halfway through the season to instantly be successful when the norm for a successful manager is to have a full pre-season, or as you've put in the past a couple years to drill in their ideas.

For me Real aren't super strong, but they're a lot closer to being a fully functional squad than we are.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Might be a tactical/video go-through session. If it's a standard training session then it might be going overboard a bit.

Horatio

You're welcome
Smart man. Have the players get used to an extreme regiment so that once they start to complain, you can fall back on something that is less extreme but still sufficient while both camps are happy.

Kul_z

This debate is useless.
Lets talk more with things we for sure know, and less with what we dont.

1. Valverde sucked

2. It was bearable in first season, change of style, lost of neymar gave him less options and this clueless idiot board did panic buys and spend 240m on players he couldnt or he didnt want to count on in latter stages of cl, and then happened Roma.

3. He left out messi for that levante away game, that could and should made him immortal barca coach. I dont know what kind of a 'it is what it is' mindset you got to have to spare your best player with two(2!) games left to go unbeaten in la liga season. Every other sane coach wouldnt leave any room for surprises and would go out for blood to achieve that, its a no brainer. But, well, it is what it is.

4. I still cant believe that he slept on that, he really did.

5. Whole 2018/19 season had a shadow of the previous one and it was dejavu all over the place because we already knew that meltdown would come. And it did come, in strong fashion.

6. His rotational policy was awful. His subs were awful.

7. Rondos with no intensity at training, free days for everyone, some extra ones for seniors.

8. His time at the bench - zero passion, no fighting spirit, nothing. He didnt even yell on the linesman referee for whatever reason. He didnt raised the voice on any player, for whatever reason. ZERO.

Now, Setien.

1. First training he already raised his voice on players, even cursing.

2. More training, more intensity. Is it good? Time will tell. But no free days for vacation fc is something im looking forward to.

3. He accepted the 6 month role, and depending on the results he would continue. This guy really wants to be in charge of barca.

And thats it for now. That are FACTS. We can shit or praise setien after we see how things would develop.

malvolio

What's next? You will say Marcelo Bielsa isn't good too cuz he managed small teams and didn't win anything??

actually what big team has offered bielsa a job?? i really liked his style(mainly watched the bilbao days of him) but the man seems to go overboard.

hope it is not the case with setien's barca, but it seems for the big teams, with established superstars, the gung-ho style doesn't really work.

Home of Barca Fans