Quique Setien

Birdy

@PrimeMosquito
Setien would still be the Bar?a coach, if a certain player and his goons didn’t oppose to the intensity being introduced to the club. Great, great, technical manager that deserved more from his stint at Bar?a; he knew exactly what needed to be done, but never got the support.
The similarities between him and Valverde are clear, they are both not very stern managers. Except, Valverde let the players do what they wanted, but Setien didn’t, and that cost him his job. Glad to see him succeed at Villarreal, he is just getting warmed up.

vegitot

@PrimeMosquito
Setien would still be the Bar?a coach, if a certain player and his goons didn’t oppose to the intensity being introduced to the club. Great, great, technical manager that deserved more from his stint at Bar?a; he knew exactly what needed to be done, but never got the support.
The similarities between him and Valverde are clear, they are both not very stern managers. Except, Valverde let the players do what they wanted, but Setien didn’t, and that cost him his job. Glad to see him succeed at Villarreal, he is just getting warmed up.

Your twitter account :lol: Simp for Dumbele and bash club legends.

A coach with 0 tittle in entirely coaching career should be long term Barca coach :lol:

Villareal were UCL semi finalist and Europa winner before then they lost inYour twitter account :lol: Simp for Dumbele and bash club legends.

A coach with 0 tittle in entirely coaching career should be long term Barca coach :lol:

Villareal were UCL semi finalist and Europa winner before then they lost to unknown team in Confederation cup this season btw.

Porque

24 games, 12 wins, 3 draws and 9 losses since joining Villarreal. I don't think we can discard the whole picture despite them playing two very good games against Real Madrid.

They also got hammered by Elche.

In saying that, I do think that Villarreal have been playing better under Setien then under Emery WHEN on form. But then that is part of the charm of Setien as manager, when your on they play great.

Bit of a weird take to take this result to justify him being Our long term manager solution had he not run into Messi though.

ajnotkeith

24 games, 12 wins, 3 draws and 9 losses since joining Villarreal. I don't think we can discard the whole picture despite them playing two very good games against Real Madrid.

In saying that, I do think that Villarreal have been playing better under Setien then under Emery WHEN on form. But then that is part of the charm of Setien as manager, when your on they play great.

Bit of a weird take to take this result to justify him being Our long term manager solution had he not run into Messi though.

That's the thing though - making a team that wins most games in the league is much easier than making a team that wins most games in the league "the right way."

It takes time and frustration to get a team winning playing great football and on possession principles. But whenever I watch Villarreal, I can see they're very well organised, they always try to play football positively and have a clear style of play.

It bears fruit if given time.

El Gato

Villarato!
Setien was always a misfit for the circumstances and pandemic didn't help. It wouldn't have bore fruit for at least 2 seasons and even then would probably not win a thing. With his type of manager the undercurrent of 'style matters most' rather than 'style matters as well' is too strong to ever make players get creative outside the confines of the dogmas.

Porque

That's the thing though - making a team that wins most games in the league is much easier than making a team that wins most games in the league "the right way."

It takes time and frustration to get a team winning playing great football and on possession principles. But whenever I watch Villarreal, I can see they're very well organised, they always try to play football positively and have a clear style of play.

It bears fruit if given time.

There has to be a balance between the two though. Right now Xavi is at one side and Setien as at the other. Seems to have got Villarreal on the right track now though after that quartet of bad losses and Euro exit.

But we kind of know his defensive naivities from his past at Betis, Cadiz, even here.

Birdy

Citing all the results implies that you don't recognize the initial period of adaptation that any manager has to go through...
I am pretty sure his league record is going to be better than Emery's compared in the span of 2-3 years in total.

Emery's football suited cup competitions better IMO, that's why he won EL and reached CL semis.
Setien is a coach that if he was Barca coach long-term he would be winning the league every year or every other year like Pep

Setien was always a misfit for the circumstances and pandemic didn't help. It wouldn't have bore fruit for at least 2 seasons and even then would probably not win a thing. With his type of manager the undercurrent of 'style matters most' rather than 'style matters as well' is too strong to ever make players get creative outside the confines of the dogmas.

We almost won LL in 2021 with Koeman as a coach, a badly constructed squads with the deadweights of Coutinho and Griezman, and him playing the kids. I am pretty sure with Setien LET do his job, and the Amigos restricted, the league would have been a sure thing

But apart from the last seasons:
'Style matters most' would have been bad if the style led to bad results always.
However, with good coaches like Pep, like Arteta, and YES like Setien as well, style leads to good results long-term.
So the dilemma is a pseudo-dilema

This is the kind of thinking that Xavi apologists use as well. He is getting us LL after 4 years.
Yes, sure, but the football is so dull and gross that many of us would definitely have waited 1 more year or even more to win if what was coming was the Barca football we love AND titles rather than titles won with Mourinho 2004 football

JamDav1982

Griezmann was better in that last Koeman season than any attacking Barca player has been this season and would walk into this current Barca side and improve it.

The issue with him was costs too high.

He has been better this season than any Barca attacking player also.

El Gato

Villarato!
Nobody (of sound mind) really cares about Xavi getting LL as he can't pass a single litmus test in groups of Europe, let alone in a 2-legged tie.
He managed to figure out how to capitalize on league being garbage upfront and got quite a lot of good fortune while doing so. In reality should be winning it by maybe 1-2 points and that's also facilitated by Benzema having injury-ridden year.

No doubt anyone would prefer Mourinho 2004 Porto-ball, which was a based on excellent counters and stood the test of time for at least a decade until low-block moved so far back and foul detection changed that it was no longer sustainable.
On a converse scenario you have Setien who not only has never proven his 'coaching' works outside domestic football, but also never managed players that already know more about kicking a ball, positioning self and dictating games than he ever did.

Just another farmer who's smarter than average Segunda coach, but could never really hack it.

Birdy

The 'having kicked the ball' argument is so lame and demeaning
Arigo Sacci defined and revolutionized the sport, while having never kicked the ball.
Let alone all the clowns that pretended to be coaches because they had kicked the ball well, while in reality they didn't belong even to amateur coaching

Coaching is all in the mind.

Porque

@Birdy.

I'm citing Setien from what I seen of him over the past 10-15 years :lol:. But if you want to rate him from this stint so far, be my guest.

Has a tendency to drop off immensely after a few seasons, so let's see if he does surpass Emery who had trophies everywhere he went at the mid level.

Must add, I wanted Setien back when we got him and blamed the amigos for going against him based on his profile. But profile is also half the battle at top ego clubs. Just ask Potter.

El Gato

Villarato!
Aye, and his kind (can include Mourinho if you like) being as successful as it is shows you it's an undeniable advantage to have had a player perspective. Not strictly necessary to succeed depending what he has to face, but undeniably makes it easier. Players have no obligation to understand a smartass that thinks he's figured it out - the onus is on him to give them clear direction. Especially in modern world where a modern manager has to be able to relate to players that are very public individuals and get them on side.

Setien hasn't proven anything other than that he can read a book. Any halfwit can learn to do that. A good coach knows what he goes for, a great one can paraphrase the ideals and communicate it to people he has no choice but to work with, do so efficiently and demonstrate it regularly.
Time and again he failed in one way or another.

JamDav1982

Setien didnt have the personality to manage the egos at Barca and nor did he have ability to adapt and get most out of the squad he had.

There are videos of his first few talks with players and he just clearly doesnt have the ability to connect with them or lead.

EV could do it as he had ability to connect well with Messi etc and savvy enough to know he couldnt make changes to squad would want to...the players ultimately held the power at club even more so than the board and none of them had much apetitie to change it.

Personally think Bilbao this season are one of if not best coached team in league and one of most enjoyable to watch but they lack a CF big time.

Home of Barca Fans