Premier League 2018/19

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

serghei

Lol, everybody knows Pep's formation and system. It's older than 10 years, books have been written on it, his style has been talked to death. What is deteriorating is his team's ability to cope with the requirements of his football for more than 3-4 years. Mentally, physically, tatically, you name it.

Want proof? His worst season was his first. How did teams found out his system in England, then forgot it in 2nd and 3rd season, than found it out again in the 4th?

The trajectory is simple and natural

Season 1) Adapting to Pep's ideas, learning the system, starting to cope with his style, and his requirements. This also means shaping the squad, getting rid of the players who can't align with what he wants to do either because of their attitude (Yaya) or by lack of certain skills (Hart).

Season 2-3) Playing the system effectively, and dominating the rivals, winning championships (his historic seasons in PL from 2017 and 2018).

Season 4) Decline (This season, also influenced by multiple injuries in defense).

1st and 4th seasons is where he can't play his style. Beginning or decline is the worse stage, depending on team in question. At Barcelona, he started amazing right away because everything was there and players knew the style beforehand, after having it learned at La Masia (also where Pep picked it up the most from probably). But at City, in a new culture with players who didn't know much about total football style, the first season was the hardest, because adapting to what you know nothing about is often the toughest.

Last edited:

Jenks

I think the loss of Sané has been understated. The team looks so much more balance with him on one side and Sterling on the other. Also losing Laporte means that their defence is back to what it was in Pep's first season.

jamrock

I think the loss of Sané has been understated. The team looks so much more balance with him on one side and Sterling on the other. Also losing Laporte means that their defence is back to what it was in Pep's first season.

I agree I was saying the same thing to a friend the other day, losing sane has been bigger for them than some realize.

He is the only player in there front line thats a real game breaker as well, with his pace & dribbling skills.

Huge mistake by them to not buy a 4th CB as well given how shaky stones & otamendi had been coming into the season, they should have went out & bought a real partner for Laporte who would still be there now.

By having to play fernadinho in the back they have no cover in midfield when rodri isn't playing, who is also still adapting.

Gundogan is playing the DM position too often this season.

Injuries & poor planning as help to do them in this season, along with a determined as hell Liverpool.

Tackle

Lets give Ole a season or two at least. We gave SAF time. He got 11th in his first season, 2nd in the second, and 11th in the third. 13th in the fourth, 6th in the fifth before — 2nd in 6th, 1st in 7th and 8th, 2nd in 9th, 1st 1st 1st 3rd 1st 3rd.

We cannot be jumping the gun and sacking managers like every other club. We need to escape this mentality of quitting when things aren’t perfect and build on what we have.

I don’t see us placing higher than 4th and don’t see us placing lower than 7th. Europa league is important to bringing in summer signings but we need to focus on the youth development because we’re witnessing the growth of a multi title winning team in the 20s.

Edit: 4 wins out of 19 for Ole is no good, I’m aware but let’s build this fucking philosophy and get it going. I’m frustrated but not worried long term. We have some really really good young lads.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Manchester United fans have got to be the most deluded in the world at the moment. Arsenal fans have woken up and Liverpool is the best club in the world.

[MENTION=26762]Copperpot[/MENTION]

KingLeo10

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Manchester United fans have got to be the most deluded in the world at the moment. Arsenal fans have woken up and Liverpool is the best club in the world.

[MENTION=26762]Copperpot[/MENTION]

Liverpool are back on their perch in England. 6 CLs, far better history in Europe against top teams, soon going to tie and possibly overtake United for league wins.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Oh my days , I see that United tied against Aston Villa. CL is around the corner boys.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sailor Mars

People tend to underestimate how randomness plays a massive part in football results.

According to xG metrics, City should have 33 points to Liverpool's 28. Yet, it's 29 to 40.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

The randomness is the thing that makes this sport the best in the world.

Aside: I just have a hunch that a big part of Liverpool's success is that they have good analytics department. Just a hunch, but their owner is also own the Boston Redsox who embraced analytics for baseball pretty early on. You've got to believe they've integrated that sort of stuff for Liverpool as well in some capacity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

Tiny Kim

People tend to underestimate how randomness plays a massive part in football results.

According to xG metrics, City should have 33 points to Liverpool's 28. Yet, it's 29 to 40.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

xG metrics are incredibly flawed. Using them, United should also be scoring a lot more goals than this. There's a huge difference between predictions made from cherry-picked stats and reality. Fans of the clubs do it to make themselves feel better about their team's poor results. LOL. Whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

Tiny Kim

Do explain how exactly they're flawed.

Expected goals don't count for shit in a sport where many many external factors can influence the actual outcome of each game. Just ask City or United.

Source :- Any league table with actual numbers.

Home of Barca Fans