Pre-Season Thread

shogunruax

so? Juventus earnt that success , having more sugar daddy teams like Chelsea, PSG , City etc getting success they don't deserve is a bad thing

XaviMessiGirl

A lot of Juve's success was Conte, who's gone now. And they made several smart cheap (by today's standards) and free buys... I hate Juve but in fact, they showed you can win titles without spending loads of money. Anyway, I think this season we will see a three horse race for the title, between Juve, Roma and Napoli. I don't think Juve will pull away so easily and so soon again.

Another thing that can bring more money to clubs without having to bring in sugar daddies is stadium ownership. The majority of Serie A clubs still don't own their own stadiums. Juve, Udinese and Sassuolo do, and Roma have announced plans to build their own. Thohir has said he will supposedly work on stadium plans for Inter too. Stadiums will generate revenue for clubs naturally, rather than relying on some rich guy to throw money around to try to fix all the problems.

Xanian

so? Juventus earnt that success , having more sugar daddy teams like Chelsea, PSG , City etc getting success they don't deserve is a bad thing

I agree with you. Just saying that there was no clear challenger in italian fooball except juventus and that would have been broken only by a rich owner's entry. It would be great if teams build up from the bottom and challenge from the titles.

XaviMessiGirl

There was a sheikh or something who was supposed to buy Cagliari earlier this season, but it didn't happen. I think it had to do with the delay of Cellino buying Leeds United. The club was sold but to another Italian.

But yeah, I think we're just going to fundamentally disagree here, Xanian. But I'm an extremely nostalgic person and I hate seeing all this money being thrown around like it's nothing. Trophies used to be won based on history, tradition and hard work. Of course the most successful clubs were almost always also among the richest, but that money was earned.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Wouldn't you call Berlusconi a sugar daddy? Not now, of course, but he sure loved to spend big money back in the old days.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Ligue 1 is already spoiled why do you want the same thing with Seria A. If some sheikh buys a club then clubs like Roma will give up completely. Roma has the potential to make another atletico like fairy tale. If they manage to do what atletico did last season Rudi Garcia will join the elites.

XaviMessiGirl

Wouldn't you call Berlusconi a sugar daddy? Not now, of course, but he sure loved to spend big money back in the old days.

Well, if you really want to look at it that way, then you could say that about a lot of club owners. Berlusconi, the Moratti and Agnelli families, etc all brought their own money in from their ventures outside of football. And from the 1950s until 2000, the vast majority of transfer fee records were set and broken by Italian clubs.

But it's quite a bit different from what I'm talking about. They aren't/weren't just using the clubs as toys for most likely only temporary amusement. They didn't constantly just throw money around for the sake of it or in other words, to show off (for example, Berlusconi spent a lot in order to pull Milan out of bankruptcy and Serie B, now compare that to Chelsea's endless supply of attacking midfielders or PSG outbidding other clubs just because they can, and you see the difference). Not to mention the ridiculous inflation of players that's going on now.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Juve lost a friendly today against an amateur side.

calciomercato-milan-allegri.jpg

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Well, if you really want to look at it that way, then you could say that about a lot of club owners. Berlusconi, the Moratti and Agnelli families, etc all brought their own money in from their ventures outside of football. And from the 1950s until 2000, the vast majority of transfer fee records were set and broken by Italian clubs.

But it's quite a bit different from what I'm talking about. They aren't/weren't just using the clubs as toys for most likely only temporary amusement. They didn't constantly just throw money around for the sake of it or in other words, to show off (for example, Berlusconi spent a lot in order to pull Milan out of bankruptcy and Serie B, now compare that to Chelsea's endless supply of attacking midfielders or PSG outbidding other clubs just because they can, and you see the difference). Not to mention the ridiculous inflation of players that's going on now.

True. There's a world of difference between ownership in Italy and ownership elsewhere, now that you mention it. One has a purpose, the other is just playing with their toys.

ManusXavi

Newcastle United given a scare by Australian League club Wellington Pheonix from New Zealand but Newcastle won 1-0.
West Ham in the other match in New Zealand lost 1-3 to Sydney FC

Home of Barca Fans