Pep Guardiola

El Gato

Villarato!
If you take out the 2 losses when he managed Bayern, he basically owned RM when he was at Barca. Think it's something like 5 wins 2 D (or maybe 1 D 1 L) in 7 Bernabeu trips as Barca manager. LMAO.

Anyone can get lucky with a generation of players, most of all Voldy.

He's actually been complimentary of Madrid press at his conference, which tends to go amiss. And he acknowledged that the score didn't really come due to his own or Zidane tactics, because both crucial goals for 1-0 and 1-1 came against the run of play. If there was anything he has done that was better than Zidane it's the subs - Sterling was a sub waiting to happen all game because RM do not have a right winger and Carvajal has been garbage. Comes on, makes 1.5 goals happen. While Zidane took off his most dangerous player (which is partly driven by Clasico and Vinicius being 19 and cramping up from running up and down) to put on an absolute wreck of an individual in Bale who cannot even outsprint Walker when coming on fresh that Vinicius did several times in the game. Zidane capitulated the game with that sub. Could have been very very different if he'd chosen Kroos for Modrić or Vazquez, before the goals against us.

I'm quite interested in his reactive tendencies in recent times. That Liverpool battering must have given him a lot to think about his own philosophy.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
VARless Zidane would have zero trophies as a coach, let that one sink in. The coach who did absolutely zilch with the castilla meanwhile Pep took a 4th division side without stars or money and won. They can never be mentioned in the same breath, stop trolling

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
VARless Zidane would have zero trophies as a coach, let that one sink in. The coach who did absolutely zilch with the castilla meanwhile Pep took a 4th division side without stars or money and won. They can never be mentioned in the same breath, stop trolling

Pep's two CLs were won thanks to questionable calls as well. Chelsea in 2009, Arsenal in 2011. You could make the same argument that we'd have no CLs in those years with VAR.

El Gato

Villarato!
While it's admirable that Guardiola managed to get Barca B promoted from the Tartarus pits of Tercera, they were always likely to get promoted. They only ended up down there because they got relegated from Segunda B in 06/07 for the first time since 1974 and in the promotion playoffs he played Castillo CF and UD Barbastro who have never been above 4th division level.

I never really understood promotions as a virtue of managerial character. Any shit team can have a good season. Countless sides get promoted for a year and go straight back down across league levels in many countries. Promotion should only be touted as a managerial achievement when it is followed by obvious rise in the football level of a given club, particularly sides within Segunda B, over 2-4 year period. A good example is what Bielsa is doing at Leeds - they've been constantly between 10-15th for about a decade and now have a clear sporting project but results not quite there, possibly due to personnel and insecurities, and it is still uncertain if they're capable of staying up. Another good example would have been Karanka at Middlesbrough - same problem of a side who was in UEFA Cup final, then Karanka comes in, constant promotion battle until it finally happened, unfortunately to never quite keep the level. Chris Wilder at Sheffield is doing something incredible really. Wonder if it's going to be followed by a shite year as it tends to be with those newcomers.
Many sides at that level in Spain are yo-yo teams from Segunda Division or perennial mid-table. For Barca B or Castilla it's more imperative to stay in Segunda B than desperately try to get promoted if you know your team is highly likely to lose the top performers to the A team once good performances and promotion happen.

So it's not Pep's result that should be in the spotlight - it's bringing back the structure that allowed his successors in Barca B to play better football over a longer timespan, get promoted up to Segunda and sustain the level. Something that was then lost when Rosell came in.

#context

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Crock of cowdung Wolfe, your abject ignorance is as astounding as the revisionism. Barca B at that time was quite near being disbanded altogether due to how poor they were. Busquets who is heralded as a generational player was on no one's radar at that time much less Pedro

You can attempt to diminish the incredible achievement Pep was responsible for with zero coaching experience with a bunch of unheralded kids but you'd only be highlighting your trolling. No one comes close to what Pep has achieved as a coach, there's a reason why he has inspired so many coaches around the globe. By contrast, no one is doing that with Zidane - who also came to suck from the teet of the revolutionary coaching god that is Guardiola to learn

#context
#GetaGrip

El Gato

Villarato!
Disbanded... The only thing that was disbanded was Barca C which got merged with the B team. Nor am I diminishing anything, only laying out known facts - Barca got relegated for the first time since 1974, hired Guardiola to fix things, he changed the culture and earned promotion vs sides who never got promoted above 4th league level. Many managers in a B team would have achieved similar result. Would you hail Villarreal for getting promoted right back up the first season after they went down? No, nobody would. As I said, what's important is that he changed the culture for years going forward. Promotion is an absolutely useless standard.

And yes, Zidane himself admits Guardiola is the best coach in the world, it is well known he doesn't think he's better than him, nor do madridistas tend to claim otherwise. There may be occasions where he is a better 'manager', but that's not the same thing. No need to play an advocate. Nobody's coming to destroy the world you conjured up in your head mate.

JamDav1982

Laporta was not about to disband the B team but it had been more or less neglected and players like Busi and Pedro were going to leave as not rated.

Barca struck gold with Guardiola being who he is and he righted so many wrongs at the club over the next year or so that the board had lost control of.

Vilarrubi

Premier League: 2017–18, 2018–19
FA Cup: 2018–19
EFL Cup: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019-20
FA Community Shield: 2018, 2019

8 titles in 4.5 seasons with City. Not bad for a one trick pony. If this is the end of his cycle as some claim because his style has been found out that’s not a bad trophy haul, I’m sure City supporters aren’t complaining lol

KingLeo10

8 titles in 4.5 seasons with City. Not bad for a one trick pony. If this is the end of his cycle as some claim because his style has been found out that’s not a bad trophy haul, I’m sure City supporters aren’t complaining lol

It's not bad IMO but Messi and Pep are judged by insanely high standards (GOAT standards).

It's about CLs.

JamDav1982

The only ones of those that matter is the league.

Other trophies are an after thought and including likes of Community Shield is a bit of a joke.

Vilarrubi

The only ones of those that matter is the league.

Other trophies are an after thought and including likes of Community Shield is a bit of a joke.

I copied and pasted it off Wiki so they’re all there. I agree, I never watch FA Cup, EFL or Community Shield and don’t give a shit who wins, really boring competitions. But if you can’t win CL, dominating domestically is the next best thing.

tacticvarium

If there is one thing I blindly trust regarding Pep's managerial ability, it would be his man/squad management skills. Pep is a high demanding person. As soon as he got appointed at Barça, he got rid of lazy asses like Ronaldinho, Deco, etc. then black sheeps/dickheads in the squad such as Etoo, Yaya Toure, Zlatan, etc. He almost got rid of Pique as well. If his regime at Barça was long-term like Ferguson, I'm certain our history with current club legends would have been very different.
He always wants his squad to be fresh and never tolerates complacency in the team. We will perhaps never see his return as a manager at Barça but that would be the only reason I still dream of his return someday. I won't expect a lot of trophies from his team as long as he brings the right change to the club and the team.

Last edited:

Andrew M

If there is one thing I blindly trust regarding Pep's managerial ability, it would be his man/squad management skills. Pep is a high demanding person. As soon as he got appointed at Barça, he got rid of lazy asses like Ronaldinho, Deco, etc. then black sheeps/dickheads in the squad such as Etoo, Yaya Toure, Zlatan, etc. He almost got rid of Pique as well. If his regime at Barça was long-term like Ferguson, I'm certain our history with current club legends would have been very different.
He always wants his squad to be fresh and never tolerates complacency in the team. We will perhaps never see his return as a manager at Barça but that would be the only reason I still dream of his return someday. I won't expect a lot of trophies from his team as long as he brings the right change to the club and the team.

Getting rid of Eto'o was the dumbest thing, though

BBZ8800

He always wants his squad to be fresh and never tolerates complacency in the team.

He has his own ideas which can work for only 3 years.
A team needs to be young, hungry, rich and filled with world class players who perfectly fit his ideas.

Then he gets 120% of them mentally and physically for 3 years, breaks all records and players are then:
1. 3 years older
2. physically dead
3. mentally dead
4. lost motivation

And there is no way for him to motivate them anymore, so he can do only 2 things:
1. sell all the team and build a new one, which will take time and he will be kinda an asshole for stabbing a knife in the back of his players who brought him titles
2. run away, as happened at Barca, Bayern and now City

With his style of coaching there is no way to stay in a club for as long as Cruijff or Ferguson, for example.
He comes, he kills his players mentally and physically, he wins and he runs away.

Deep down: kinda robotic and results oriented approach.
He is kinda an asshole towards his players in that sense that he can't stay for 5 or more years.
And he always hates on some players like Etoo, Yaya, Zlatan, Mandzukic etc.

Brilliant tactically.
Questionable in other areas.
And dishonest majority of time.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans