Pep Guardiola

BarcaOG

Banned
What's crazy is that City is actually a magnet for much of English talent now--they probably have the most structured and 'modern' academy system and I've read over and over again about other PL complaining about how Northwest English youth talent is now concentrating in City youth sides. That looks bad for England as a whole--the talent is flocking to City but, if Pep is right, it is off the mark in terms of professional potential.

xXKonan

Pep was pretty hesitant in using City academy players all season. I would have at least expect him to experiment with Angeliño and Pablo Maffeo, in the Fullback spots considering how dire all season City have in that position. But both were shipped out on loan in January and Pep went as far as using Fernandinho and Jesus Navas as makeshift RB's during the last course of this season. :lol:

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He won't use them because he'll get another 200 million to spend.
Maybe next season it will buy him some better success than Pellegrini's.

serghei

What's crazy is that City is actually a magnet for much of English talent now--they probably have the most structured and 'modern' academy system and I've read over and over again about other PL complaining about how Northwest English youth talent is now concentrating in City youth sides. That looks bad for England as a whole--the talent is flocking to City but, if Pep is right, it is off the mark in terms of professional potential.

One of the downsides of having huge money on your hands is that you can always take shortcuts. It is a lot easier to just sign a very good fullback than to try to promote one from the youth ranks. But I can understand it. The luxury of time and patience is not something a team fighting for trophies can have. Are you in the business of competing to win important trophies? If you are, than the profile of young players that you can promote to the first team gets more restrictive. You're not looking only at talent, it's also about at the mentality of the player, and about the rate at which he improves. You need young players who would take the first 3-4 games and show growth even after this short period. Exceptions can be made, but only in some rare cases. You can take a chance on a young player that is not quite ready yet, but you need an absolutely world class team around him. Not the case at City.

It's a matter of priorities and second objectives. Which is which. Basically, what is Pep's main job at City? Is it to lay the foundation for a dominating City team in 2020? Or is it to win now, and form a team in a short period of time which can dominate England and possibly break in the top 5 in Europe? You can't aks him to win titles and promote players at the same time, if he doesn't have amazing young prospects on his hands. I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

For Pep and City, it is normal that he will not promote a young player if he is not ready. The team he has doesn't allow that. Especially considering that young players from City's academy are not used to his style of play, like the ones from Barca used to be. So you have two problems, the younger players of Man City are not nearly as good as the ones from his time at Barca for example, and, on top of that, they also probably know little about his brand of football, so they actually need to be educated, and brought to a level of tactical knowledge that would allow them to understand the rather complex tactics of Pep's total football philosophy. This makes promoting them an impossible task almost considering the pressure that is on Manchester City to win trophies.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He played a couple of their youth players this season.

He's not going to promote en masse, and promote players he doesn't rate just for the sake of it. He learned that after what happened with Bojan.

khaled_a_d

[MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION]
What trophies were City competing for this year? CL qualifications?
And he is asked to build a team to win in 2019 too btw. he signed 3 years contract.
And isn't the same argument can be said about Lucho even more? But he is still compared to Pep despite the fact that Pep has yet to promote anyone since leaving us? Isn't the team has weaknesses and talents in FB and he still decided not to promote them? Isn't that people argument against Lucho and Palancia?

I not saying Pep is wrong,he has every right to be pragmatic in his approach. But it is time for people to realize that it is talent that force coach to promote them. Not need,not coach being friendly with academy. yeah those can be contributing factor but nothing more

He played a couple of their youth players this season.

He's not going to promote en masse, and promote players he doesn't rate just for the sake of it. He learned that after what happened with Bojan.

Considering he wanted to send Bojan back to Barca B in 2008 I would say it was his philosophy from the start.

Dani Alves on Pep

"He is a genius. I'll say it again: a genius. Pep would tell you exactly how everything was going to happen in a match before it even happened.

"For example, the game against Real Madrid in 2010, when we won 5-0. Pep told us before the match, 'Today, you're going to play like the football is a ball of fire. It never stays at your feet. Not even a half second. If you do that, there will be no time for them to pressure us. We will win easily.'

"The sensation when we left every one of his pre-match talks was like we were already up 3-0. We were so empowered, so prepared, that it felt like we were already winning."

"The funniest thing was if we came in at half-time and the game wasn't going well. Pep would sit down and rub his forehead. You know how he rubs his head? You've seen it, right? Like he's massaging his brain, searching for the genius to come to him.

"He would do this right in front of us in the dressing room. Then, like magic, it would come to him. Bang! 'We will do this, this and this, and then this is how we will score.' Then he would jump up and start barking out instructions, drawing maths and figures on the board.

"So we would go out, and we would do this, this and this. And that's how we would score. It was crazy. Pep was the first coach in my life who showed me how to play without the ball. And he wouldn't just demand that his players change their game, he would sit us down and show us why he wanted us to change with statistics and video.

xXKonan

Did he buy any defenders yet?
Not yet, but there's rumors of Pep wanting Mendy/Ryan Bertrand for the LB spot and Kyle Walker for the RB spot. not quite sure about the CB spot though.

SER did report they had a deal on Atletico's Lucas Hernandez (CB) for 50 Million euros but with Atletico's transfer ban being upheld I think it has fallen through.

Home of Barca Fans