Pep Guardiola

DrPepper

Yes he is great, won't dispute that. Just saying that maybe it's time to reevaluate if he already belongs to the "GOAT manager" discussion.

Ofc he does. He was the one who made Xavi and Iniesta (and Messi) that good in the first place. There is a reason both declined after Pep left.

Remember that Bayern have an insane number of injuries, forcing him to change lineups and tactics every game. He barely can't fill their bench with players. Against Frankfurt they only had 4 players there, yesterday they had 2 keepers sitting.

Ofc he does. He was the one who made Xavi and Iniesta (and Messi) that good in the first place. There is a reason both declined after Pep left.

Remember that Bayern have an insane number of injuries, forcing him to change lineups and tactics every game. He barely can't fill their bench with players. Against Frankfurt they only had 4 players there, yesterday they had 2 keepers sitting.

I would say it was Aragones who brought out the potential of Xavi, Pep only honed, but agree with Iniesta. Messi's improvement had to do with him moving centrally, so point to Pep I guess, but also to him realizing his GOAT potential AND staying away from injuries.

It's not just this game, or their form over the past 2 or so months. They're a shell of the team that everyone dreaded to face in 2013. Sure he can't do anything about the injuries, but he's not adjusting to the circumstances as well as I expected him to. Other managers have presided over worse injury situations.

One of the best managers of all time, Arrigo Sacchi, when he took over Milan the first time he bought Guulit, Rijkaard and freaking van Basten.
His defense was probably the best defense in the history of football, maldini, baresi, costacurta and tassotti.
I'm pretty sure there were clueless haters like 1611 then, saying the same garbage about him.

Pls stop embarrassing yourself.

Yeah, I am a clueless hater after I just said a few posts ago that he's one of the best managers around :lol:

How does Pep's nuts taste?

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
I would say it was Aragones who brought out the potential of Xavi, Pep only honed, but agree with Iniesta. Messi's improvement had to do with him moving centrally, so point to Pep I guess, but also to him realizing his GOAT potential AND staying away from injuries.

It's not just this game, or their form over the past 2 or so months. They're a shell of the team that everyone dreaded to face in 2013. Sure he can't do anything about the injuries, but he's not adjusting to the circumstances as well as I expected him to. Other managers have presided over worse injury situations.

Yeah, I am a clueless hater after I just said a few posts ago that he's one of the best managers around :lol:

How does Pep's nuts taste?

You said that we "need to reevaluate if he belongs to the goat manager discussion".
Read my post again and admit that you are clueless.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Why the excuses. He still had a better 11 than Porto last night.

Clearly Pep has a mediocre away record in CL but he is still a great manager. For Barca: greatest of all time.

LaPulga

His defense made 3 horrible mistakes, even 11-year olds shouldn't make. What can a manager do about this. They looked like they've never played football before.

The loss is on them, not on Guardiola.

Devils

His defense made 3 horrible mistakes, even 11-year olds shouldn't make. What can a manager do about this. They looked like they've never played football before.

The loss is on them, not on Guardiola.

This isn't true.

It's on Pep for telling his defenders to play a high line system to retain possession when Porto's objective was to pressure the hell out of the CBs all game. Ultimately his tactics lead to the defeat after his defenders succumbed to the pressing from Porto.

LaPulga

First, Alonso bad control + slip up. Second, Dante bad control. Third, Boateng misjudging a header.

Personal mistakes in my book. Only in first goal you could say Porto's pressuring had anything to do with it.

Pep has always had his teams do high-line defending, worked out wonderfully well over these 6 years, bar some exceptions. Hell, it even produced some of the greatest football ever seen, yet suddenly it's sort of a tactical mistake ??

StarLord

This isn't true.

It's on Pep for telling his defenders to play a high line system to retain possession when Porto's objective was to pressure the hell out of the CBs all game. Ultimately his tactics lead to the defeat after his defenders succumbed to the pressing from Porto.

I would say this, without dismissing your argument mind.

Some of the Bayern players are not nearly as good as most people think they are. This shows whenever Bayern have to face any decent side, or even when Bundesliga teams are up for a fight.

You said that we "need to reevaluate if he belongs to the goat manager discussion".
Read my post again and admit that you are clueless.

Why yes, I did read your post, Mr. Fanboy :lol:

I must admit that I'm impressed with your Wiki trivia. I hope you learned a lot from the 10 minute browsing you did.

I see how you mentioned Sacchi's Milan and dropped a whole host of star players' names. Again, I never said that great managers don't need great players, or vice versa. Yes that Milan side was loaded as fuck, but remember the context: they weren't playing in 2007-2012 La Liga, at the time not even the world's best league. They played in what most people will agree as the most competitive era of any league in the world. Maradona played for Napoli back then, that would be the equivalent of Messi playing for Sevilla today. AC Milan were stacked because the top 6 teams of Serie A from era were stacked. Every weekend was like a mini-World Cup for them during that time. Bet Wiki didn't tell you that huh? :lol:

Would even go as far as to say that Guulit, Rijkaard and van Basten are an inferior trio to Messi, Xavi and Iniesta (Obviously not a like-for-like comparison, but impact-wise)

Oh, need I remind you that Sacchi won B2B UCLs. Something that Pep hasn't done yet :lol:

Please stop now, and try to learn more about the game because you are coming off as a glory hunter who only jumped on the Barca bandwagon in 2009.

StarLord

First, Alonso bad control + slip up. Second, Dante bad control. Third, Boateng misjudging a header.

Personal mistakes in my book. Only in first goal you could say Porto's pressuring had anything to do with it.

Pep has always had his teams do high-line defending, worked out wonderfully well over these 6 years, bar some exceptions. Hell, it even produced some of the greatest football ever seen, yet suddenly it's sort of a tactical mistake ??

It comes back to what I have been saying over the quality of the Bayern players.

Alonso is old.

Dante is not a very good defender.

Boateng is also not that great.

Bottom line is that these players are likely to make blunders under psychological and physical pressure. It's one thing playing routine Bundesliga games, that even if they end up in a loss the damage to Bayern is minimal (if any at all) to playing CL KO games that have no tomorrow. It's not that Bundesliga teams are crap, it's just that no one will really blame them if they lose to Bayern, so the opportunity cost of giving 100% against Bayern is prohibitive in proportion to the likelihood of any potential benefit. This is entirely reversed in CL situations, where the opposing team will give it 110% due to the life/death nature of the competition.

StarLord

Why yes, I did read your post, Mr. Fanboy :lol:

I must admit that I'm impressed with your Wiki trivia. I hope you learned a lot from the 10 minute browsing you did.

I see how you mentioned Sacchi's Milan and dropped a whole host of star players' names. Again, I never said that great managers don't need great players, or vice versa. Yes that Milan side was loaded as fuck, but remember the context: they weren't playing in 2007-2012 La Liga, at the time not even the world's best league. They played in what most people will agree as the most competitive era of any league in the world. Maradona played for Napoli back then, that would be the equivalent of Messi playing for Sevilla today. AC Milan were stacked because the top 6 teams of Serie A from era were stacked. Every weekend was like a mini-World Cup for them during that time. Bet Wiki didn't tell you that huh? :lol:

Would even go as far as to say that Guulit, Rijkaard and van Basten are an inferior trio to Messi, Xavi and Iniesta (Obviously not a like-for-like comparison, but impact-wise)

Oh, need I remind you that Sacchi won B2B UCLs. Something that Pep hasn't done yet :lol:

Please stop now, and try to learn more about the game because you are coming off as a glory hunter who only jumped on the Barca bandwagon in 2009.

How many CL's did the Italian teams win during the years of Sacchi's tenure at AC Milan. I am not attacking your argument btw, just out of curiosity.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

It comes back to what I have been saying over the quality of the Bayern players.

Alonso is old.

Dante is not a very good defender.

Boateng is also not that great.

Bottom line is that these players are likely to make blunders under psychological and physical pressure. It's one thing playing routine Bundesliga games, that even if they end up in a loss the damage to Bayern is minimal (if any at all) to playing CL KO games that have no tomorrow. It's not that Bundesliga teams are crap, it's just that no one will really blame them if they lose to Bayern, so the opportunity cost of giving 100% against Bayern is prohibitive in proportion to the likelihood of any potential benefit. This is entirely reversed in CL situations, where the opposing team will give it 110% due to the life/death nature of the competition.

Boateng IS fairly great. His problem however is, that despite his great season so far he apparently will still turn into Blunderteng occassionally, just like Jekyll turns into Hyde...

How many CL's did the Italian teams win during the years of Sacchi's tenure at AC Milan. I am not attacking your argument btw, just out of curiosity.

Just the two from AC Milan if I am not mistaken. Don't want to check Wiki like Mr. Fanboy over there :lol:

Home of Barca Fans