CB 5 William Gallas
LB 3 Eric Abidal

france team that won the final in 2018:

GK 1 Hugo Lloris (c)
RB 2 Benjamin Pavard
CB 4 Raphael Varane
CB 5 Samuel Umtiti
LB 21 Lucas Hernandez

I would argue that 2018 defense was much better than 2006.
Thuram was solid at that time, nothing more and Gallas was a solid starting CB who was a late bloomer. Umtiti and Varane were much better.
Willy Sagnol would have been rated as a S.Roberto level of RB if he played today while Pavard had great tournament, Abidal was a revelation back then and Lucas was more proven at that stage of their careers.
Lloris was and is always better than Barthez

france team that lost the final in 2006:
CM 4 Patrick Vieira
CM 6 Claude Makelele
AM 10 Zinedine Zidane (c)

CM 6 Paul Pogba
CM 13 N'Golo Kante
AM 7 Antoine Griezmann

Zidane was 34 playing his last 7 games, and he was average at best in the group stage before having best games in years between round of 16 and semi-finals, and then a decent game against Italy.
Griezmann is probably the 2nd best player between those 6 names, and in form Pogba is 3rd over ancient Makelele(33) and old Viera (30), whom weren't superior to prime Kante either.

I would again take this midfield of 2018 over that one in 2006.

RW 22 Franck Ribery
LW 7 Florent Malouda
CF 12 Thierry Henry

RW 10 Kylian Mbappe
LW 14 Blaise Matuidi
CF 9 Olivier Giroud

Henry was the best between all 6, followed by Mbappe and both are far better that the rest.
Ribery was again one of the tournament revelations, was 23 years old wing from France who proven his worth in the tournament. Same with Malouda tbh.
Giroud was old player who served a tactical role while and same for Matuidi, overall both were balanced teams.

Substitutions:
MF 18 Alou Diarra
FW 20 David Trezeguet
FW 11 Sylvain Wiltord

Substitutions:
MF 15 Steven Nzonzi
MF 12 Corentin Tolisso
FW 18 Nabil Fekir

The bench is better for 2006 tbf

Overall, I think you are proving fergus90 point even more. That France team in 2006 should have no business in being in WC final, it was a punch of semi-retired player, decent players in France and a young and upcoming unproven player.
You can look at the names from 2006 and say OMG Zidane (34), Henry (29), Viera (30), Thuram (34), Makelele (33), Barthez (35) , but all were clearly past their prime except Henry. They weren't the same players they were in 2000 or 1998 (never mind many of those became only considered as stars due to that world cup win, but that is another discussion)

You can say, OH Ribery,Abidal & Malouda? But how many even knew about them before the tournament? This wasn't 2013 Ribery but 2006 Ribery who played one year in Marseille coming from Galatasaray. Malouda was never anything special and Abidal was solid LB but wasn't that spectacular in the tournament either (and again, relatively unknown at the time)

It is like looking at current Barca team in 10 years after Araujo,Fati & Pedri became superstars (if that ever happened) and say that team were great, Messi,Busquets, Pique,Alba and Araujo,Fati & Pedri, that was one of a hell of squad :lol::lol:

Domenech had one of a hell of a tournament managing those veterans and getting best of them one last time.
OTOH France in 2018 were far more complete team with more players who were in their prime. Even their "young" player were already proven one

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

The squad was great (well the most important players from it actually came back from retirement to play the WC, including Zidane who played some legendary games during that WC). But I do remember French people being very harsh against Gallas, Henry, Trezeguet and Barthez back then for example. Goes to prove the point about over romancizing old legends. France played amazing during the tournament and they had a very rough path to the final, but a couple months before it absolutely no one in France thought we were clear favorites to win it.

tbf people tend to either do that, or being stupidly progressive about anointing the new generation.
Look at Messi and CR&, some was feeling shameful to compare them to Maradona or Figo, others were quick to anoint them as all time greats when they were 22.
It is very rare that fans being able to be objective about those comparison.

jamrock

It's been infuriating watching him get the ball & cut back towards the midfield, instead of trying to take on his man & get to the side line or create some form of danger.

Every
Single
Time.

Laplacian

It's been infuriating watching him get the ball & cut back towards the midfield, instead of trying to take on his man & get to the side line or create some form of danger.

Every
Single
Time.

He's finally fit and no longer sloppy with the ball, but in exchange for that he no longer takes his man on, his creativity has lowered immensely, and his finishing is at its absolute lowest I've ever seen from him in his 4 years here, and that's saying something.

jamrock

If I was koeman I would pull him aside look him dead in the eye & tell him, if you get the ball one on one with the fb with space to the byline, & you cut back again

I will immediately sub you & that will be the last game you play this season, period!.

You are a winger my dude, your literally job is to take on your man.

Windhook

I think the rivalry with Mbappe is in his head. He was more creative before. Now it's either a pass to Messi or Hail Mary shots.:rolleyes: I hope he scores today, though.

sikkboy

Low blocks obviously don't suit his push and rush style but he's not even really attempting to take players on whern there's enough space. looks to me like he's lost his confidence, and his team mates are looking frustrated with him too. Of course he needs game time but I think players like Trincao would probably be bettered suited to start games like this off until Barca gain lead and oposition are forced to come out a bit more. Dembele can then slot right in and burn that space off with pace. Sorted.

soul24rage

Low blocks obviously don't suit his push and rush style but he's not even really attempting to take players on whern there's enough space. looks to me like he's lost his confidence, and his team mates are looking frustrated with him too. Of course he needs game time but I think players like Trincao would probably be bettered suited to start games like this off until Barca gain lead and oposition are forced to come out a bit more. Dembele can then slot right in and burn that space off with pace. Sorted.

+1

Laplacian

"Doesn't work in low blocks" is just code for doesn't have the technique, positional awareness, and creativity to play in tight spaces. Ofc when your only technique this season is to constantly sprint in one direction, then you're obviously going to have trouble. Liverpool faces low blocks all the time; so does City; so does United; so does Leicester; so does Bayern; and so on. Elite teams are always going to face low blocks, so you're essentially saying he's not good enough for one. You're essentially saying he's a limited player, that he'll only succeed in a league like Germany.

Plus it's not like he was magic in PSG where he had much more space to work with. He makes horrible decisions during counter-attacks as well, so I'm not exactly sure where he's supposed to thrive in...

Home of Barca Fans