Ousmane Dembélé

SmilerBam

Poor according to who? On whoscored he is 3rd in rating after MATS and Griezman.

In general, Dembele critics recently tend to just drop a 'he was poor' comment without any elaboration or any proper evaluation of what he did in each game.

All of what you say are criticism mounted against him in the past, some of them were valid, but we are seeing less and less of it with every passing year.
Yesterday in particular I did not see any poor decision making or lack of composure.
He failed to convert a couple of chances (which again he himself created with his moves), which on other games he had converted (or he had converted more difficult ones).

And if you weigh that against what he provides, there is no discussion really...
The way he generates chance after chance out of nothing is remarkable.

PS: I don't know what exactly the 'defense of Vini' in RM forums is, but I find also the criticism against him unfair. He is very young and has tremendous quality, he can learn how to finish better and explode as a player.

Did you watched the game yesterday?You really think Griezzyboy and Dembouz were better than De Jong for example?Football it's not only stats.

Birdy

Did you watched the game yesterday?You really think Griezzyboy and Dembouz were better than De Jong for example?Football it's not only stats.

Yes, I watched the whole game, and saw how much danger he created again and again.
De Jong was better, maybe.
But then I don't agree at all with your take on Dembouz.
He is not a creator that can play intelligent passes, but he has other tremendous qualities - colossally important in modern game - which you refuse to acknowledge

Last edited:

SmilerBam

Yes, I watched the whole game, and show how much danger he created again and again.
De Jong was better, maybe.
But then I don't agree at all with your take on Dembouz.
He is not a creator that can play intelligent passes, but he has other tremendous qualities - colossally important in modern game - which you refuse to acknowledge

I told you what qualities he has.Do you think he has others?Even if he has this qualities,he is too prone to make silly mistakes that nulify everything he did before.He's all speed,zero substance.Maybe he can still change the sport he is in...athletism seems better for him.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I told you what qualities he has.Do you think he has others?Even if he has this qualities,he is too prone to make silly mistakes that nulify everything he did before.He's all speed,zero substance.Maybe he can still change the sport he is in...athletism seems better for him.

Dembele has exceptional dribbling and playmayking skills, he is not just a kick and run winger. Also a big game player. Not remotely on Neymar?s level but he is a top-10 winger in the world.

SmilerBam

Dembele has exceptional dribbling and playmayking skills, he is not just a kick and run winger. Also a big game player. Not remotely on Neymar?s level but he is a top-10 winger in the world.

Exceptional dribbling and playmaking skills?Big game player?I'm sorry to ask, but are you more than 16?You say that he is not close on Neymars level, yet your description bring him extremely close to Neymar, which he is miles behind. 😂

Birdy

If he had only speed he would be a Theo Walcott who just runs one directionally..

He can combine his speed with dribbling, and accurate dribbling, with agility, he can change direction, and with burst at the right moment.
All that make him world-class in 1v1, in creating breaks and rupturing a good defensive block.
And I will say it again: for the modern game such a player with these qualities is indispensable.

He has other qualities too. He can score outside of the box from difficult positions, he can cross low sharply and fast.

But I am afraid I am wasting my time.
You have made up your mind in an one-dimensional misrepresentation/caricature of him, just because you don't like him.

SmilerBam

If he had only speed he would be a Theo Walcott who just runs one directionally..

He can combine his speed with dribbling, and accurate dribbling, with agility, he can change direction, and with burst at the right moment.
All that make him world-class in 1v1, in creating breaks and rupturing a good defensive block.
And I will say it again: for the modern game such a player with these qualities is indispensable.

He has other qualities too. He can score outside of the box from difficult positions, he can cross low sharply and fast.

You have made up your mind in an one-dimensional misrepresentation/caricature of him, just because you don't like him.
Ocasionally he shows great dribbling ability.But playmaking?He wastes even 2 meters passes.Anyway, i hope you ll be right and show more often that wordclass ability you say he has.

Morten

You are downplaying Walcott, he actually did have good seasons.
Not world class, but certainly a good player, in his prime.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Exceptional dribbling and playmaking skills?Big game player?I'm sorry to ask, but are you more than 16?You say that he is not close on Neymars level, yet your description bring him extremely close to Neymar, which he is miles behind. ��

if I were 16, that would mean I had joined this forum at the age of 9. That would certainly make me a wunderkind, but alas I am not one.

As I said, his qualities are similar to that of Neymar, but he is worse in all of dribbling, finishing and playmaking aspects. Only thing Dembouz has over Neymar is age and pace/acceleration. Neymar is a top-3 player in the world when in form, he is at the very top. Dembele is a top-10 winger, not one of the best players, he is a bracket or two below.

KingLeo10

Lol, prime Neymar (2015-2017, especially 2015-2016) was one of the all time great wingers. Dembele isn't and won't reach that level but he can still be a Sane level threat (world class), which is the bracket te amo barca was putting him into. Just because he ain't Neymar doesn't mean he's shit.

Havesaks

Dont know why people are complaining this much about him, thought he was fine - not at his best, but no one in our squad would be a better option than him anyway, and we cant afford someone better.

As long Dembele can get rid of his injuries we should be happy to have him unlike Coutinho who offers nothing.

SmilerBam

You are downplaying Walcott, he actually did have good seasons.
Not world class, but certainly a good player, in his prime.

Football has regressed pretty bad in terms of individuality in the last 4-5 years.Dembele ten years ago would have been considered the same level as Walcott-good, but not an world class player.I'd argue that Walcott until 23, the age Dembele is now, showed more than him.I'm just used to see much better players at this club and world football, maybe i m just old, being in my 30's.

Laplacian

Lol, prime Neymar (2015-2017, especially 2015-2016) was one of the all time great wingers. Dembele isn't and won't reach that level but he can still be a Sane level threat (world class), which is the bracket te amo barca was putting him into. Just because he ain't Neymar doesn't mean he's shit.

Sane is not world class, but that's besides the point. If you watch Sane you'll see that he's far less erratic with ball and much more intelligent off the ball than Dembele is. I don't think any player can comfortably increase his level of technique to Sane's level of natural ability in his 20s. I don't think I've ever seen that in football ever. Children? Yes. Adults? No. Look at the composed goals Sane was scoring when he was 21, and look at the shots Dembele's currently attempting at 23; they're Vinicius Jr type of shots. I don't see how you can reliably say they're in the same bracket. Maybe 4 years ago, sure. Not today.

Look I'm not a hater and I don't expect a Neymar, I will praise him when he has good games (which I have) and if I think he has bad games I will point them out.

Gnidrologist

Didn't read all the posts in recent pages, because it seems there's too much polarized opinions. For me he gave the great winger performance against Soc. He is not and never be Neymar level talent, who is 9 at dribbling, scoring and pace all in one package at his peak. He does know how to attack and be a constant threat on the wings, especially right. Some very specific abilities like great acceleration in combo with his long lanky legs (reminds me of Nwankwo Kanu for this reason) makes him very formidable threat, although his dribbling is much less inventive than that of Neymars and he is mostly scoring odd spectacular goals instead of "another day in the office" striker finishes. Like his increased tenacity and work ethic. Koemmander has done good job with him.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans