Ousmane Dembélé

Laplacian

Some of you are way too obsessed with the iq, language or unreliable argument. I doubt speaking Spanish would stop him from miscontrolling simple balls

There's enough to complain about from his on pitch performances.

Vilarrubi

And if he is absent-minded? So what?
Einstein was also extremely absent-minded, many great humans are.

That's fine but he's no Einstein on the football pitch.

I gave Dembele the benefit of the doubt for the first two seasons but now he's in his 3rd season here. Remember Neymar by his 2nd season had won a treble playing a key part at the same age as Dembele, Dembele was bought as a Neymar replacement and hasn't showed 20% of what Neymar did that season.

We paid 130m for him so when people complain about his unprofessionalism, IQ, inability to speak Spanish I can see why. Of course he's not obliged to do these things, but if he cost 20m and was a squad player fans wouldn't be as frustrated with him.

All we've had so far from Dembele is a handful of world class performances, some shocking performances, some good dribbles, shocking passing, lack of positional awareness, unprofessionalism and injuries. That's unacceptable for a 130m player.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Even if someone is proven to be unreliable in his PRIVATE sphere, it doesn't mean ANYTHING related on a football pitch.
It is just a broad generalization.

Nonsense, there's nothing broad about it. Forgetting to take your passport when you are traveling for football is an example of that lack of reliability, not a generalization

I played with footballers, also trained footballers who were quite much unreliable in private but on a football pitch, they were the most meticulous, precise and reliable players in a team.
I can even state that the more easy going players are the better ones.

What you are trying to suggest is not true, it is not general and it is unethical.

Clearly English not your first language either

Narrow is the opposite of broad which is what your generalizations equate to - a small sample size of unreliable athletes in personal/private life that happened to be exceptionally reliable on the pitch. In reality, that rarely is the case. If you are unreliable, you cannot be counted on or trusted and that can be applied across the board. Inadequate preparation typically results in sever compromise

Unreliable behavior may be a result of habitual actions (or lack thereof) that are regularly described as 'poor habits' that yield unreliable characteristics. Our habits are so interwoven into our way of thinking that they are even biologically manifested as neuronal pathways via millions of repeated synaptic connections over time. It can be very difficult to fight such a systemically inherent force without organizing yourself to be more responsible/organized through 'good' habits. It's why professional athletes aren't expected to split an atom but at least take care of themselves which also extends to letting yourself be evaluated by medical staff when there is a suspected injury rather than, yet again, being unreliable.

My prediction on the player is that he will ultimately be moved since experience, something you fail to acknowledge much less comprehend, is that the player will not get organized/responsible & take his profession more seriously. He is not the first nor likely the last to squander his talent due to lack of professionalism

LMTR14

If any European, no matter how underprivileged their background, in this day and age struggles with learning English, they are failures at life. No joke.

Don't be so full of yourself (example for an idiom). Picking up basic English is easy enough but mastering it is not because it has LOTS of exceptions, irregular forms and idioms and a TON more different words than the average language has because of its mixed heritage (Latin, Norse, French etc.). Sure it's no Japanese or something but in this day and age (another one!) it seems people (esp. the youth) seem more likely to forget how to use their own language properly than to master another language!

I don't get living somewhere and not learning the local language at all. People like Bale and Dembele come across as really ignorant, if not dumb. At least Dembele should be WILLING to try and learn Spanish, after all, he didn't want to go back to France either so what the fuck!

Another point: I never had a single A in English in my entire school career! I only really properly learned English AFTER my school days by watching movies, reading books and of course also playing video games. But Dembele clearly can afford whoever he wants to privately teach him Spanish, so that's not comparable to having bad teachers in school (trust me, I had loads of horrible teachers...) and thus losing any motivation.

devo901

.... but mastering it is not because it has LOTS of exceptions, irregular forms and idioms and a TON more different words than the average language has because of its mixed heritage (Latin, Norse, French etc.).

While I agree with all you wrote while I do not share your view on that "the average language" spoken on master level, is less complex than mastering English.

I know from Slavic-, German-, French/Spanish/Italian-languages and of course hungarian, finnish, isladish that they all have more cases, declinations, more articles, different gender that impacts attributes and articles and THUS are WAY more difficult to speak.

Why they should become (realitively) easier later on, compared to English, I do not know - and I heavily doubt this. My logic is: if I have more rules on the base level, there are more potential exceptions later on.

Many people: 1- do not speak correct mothertongue (me included) and 2- are not aware of the exceptions/difficulties of their own language that they are using, because it became second nature, when they turned 3 or 4 years.

Dont you think,so?

BTW I love the fact that I discuss with people my /your ideas altghouth we are x00 miles apart AND we speak other languages (most of the day)

30 years ago, it was different, remember holidays with your parents in other countries ..... EN was by far not that wide spread among the average ppl (maybe tourism and scientific community). Today in Europe in cities I expect 30% have a good english skill, also in former east block countries, and 50% at least passivly. It is possibile for expats, not to learn German and live for 10 years in Vienna, if you know ~10 sentences (yes, no, thanks/how much/and some swear words). ;-)

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Don't be so full of yourself (example for an idiom). Picking up basic English is easy enough but mastering it is not because it has LOTS of exceptions, irregular forms and idioms and a TON more different words than the average language has because of its mixed heritage (Latin, Norse, French etc.). Sure it's no Japanese or something but in this day and age (another one!) it seems people (esp. the youth) seem more likely to forget how to use their own language properly than to master another language!

I don't get living somewhere and not learning the local language at all. People like Bale and Dembele come across as really ignorant, if not dumb. At least Dembele should be WILLING to try and learn Spanish, after all, he didn't want to go back to France either so what the fuck!

Another point: I never had a single A in English in my entire school career! I only really properly learned English AFTER my school days by watching movies, reading books and of course also playing video games. But Dembele clearly can afford whoever he wants to privately teach him Spanish, so that's not comparable to having bad teachers in school (trust me, I had loads of horrible teachers...) and thus losing any motivation.

1) Nobody said anything about mastering it.
2) Nobody said anything about the learning curve, idioms or whatever else you've brought up to make an argument that large parts of English can be hard t pick up and use on a daily basis. And equally, nobody said or implied English can't be difficult. Any language can.
3) According to most in the club who weighed in on this, Bale speaks Spanish without much of an issue.
4) Who said Dembele is 'unwilling to try' and learn Spanish?
5) The point about movies, video games etc is pretty much what I said in the followup post.

No offense, but it seems you've missed the point of the conversation.

Lapi

We paid 130m for him so when people complain about his unprofessionalism, IQ, inability to speak Spanish I can see why. Of course he's not obliged to do these things, but if he cost 20m and was a squad player fans wouldn't be as frustrated with him.

All we've had so far from Dembele is a handful of world class performances, some shocking performances, some good dribbles, shocking passing, lack of positional awareness, unprofessionalism and injuries. That's unacceptable for a 130m player.

When you compare the actual performance of a football player to his market value of tree years ago, your reasoning submerges to a potentially very low level.
Because it doesn't matter anymore.
His performances can't be measured by his former or present market-value, his play can be measured by the needs of the team, or his performances can be compared to his potential performances, but even that is only valid if you take injuries into the account and also count in the coach, who has been proven to be not the best for young talents.

You go to a music shop and buy two music CDs, or you buy two DVD movies. One movie is horrible, the other becomes your favorite. One singer is awful, the other is so good that makes you cry.
Both CDs or DVDs had the very same price.
Will you go back to the shop and complain for the quality content of a movie or for an album? Or will you complain to your friends about your bad choice of movie or music by constantly mentioning how much a CD or a DVD costs nowadays?
You can do that with your car, because it is a machine. But footballer is NOT a machine, and no human on Earth can guarantee you he will perform according to his market value or price.

If this essential logic escapes you, it's truly your problem.
You can complain about a player day and night. Maybe you're perfectly right about all your quality complaints. But there are only two moments in time, when the money part actually matters. First when you buy a player and then when you sell him.
In between those two moments, his value is totally irrelevant.

Tackle

[tw]1182738266887462913[/tw]

Why does Vidal hate Dembele?

He needs to stop pushing conspiracy theories.

This agenda against Dembele is getting out of hand. Valverde is holding him back and he isn't getting any real chances.

We know nothing about his behaviour of the pitch and it clearly isn't influencing him at all on the pitch. Fake news by SPORT and MD.

Probably racism to be honest.

Just wait for an injury free season and he will win the Ballon D'or!

CatalinR10

[tw]1182738266887462913[/tw]

Why does Vidal hate Dembele?

He needs to stop pushing conspiracy theories.

This agenda against Dembele is getting out of hand. Valverde is holding him back and he isn't getting any real chances.

We know nothing about his behaviour of the pitch and it clearly isn't influencing him at all on the pitch. Fake news by SPORT and MD.

Probably racism to be honest.

Just wait for an injury free season and he will win the Ballon D'or!

How do people have it in them to be so fecking negative and toxic all the time?

Tackle

Aye.

140m down the drain, zero return on investment and problems with professionalism.

But excuse me for not being optimistic. Guess I am just too entitled. I should just be grateful for when the player comes to training on time during the weeks he is not injured. I am so sorry.

Mercilessly taking the piss out of Rakitic, a player we bought from Sevilla for 20m who went on to be a very good to serviceable player for the club for a half decade is totally the same thing! He has declined with age and is on his way out soon, but he still deserves to be treated like dirt!

Also claiming to be supporter of a club while actively cheering for losses to get rid of the manager also clearly pales in comparison to the atrocities I am committing.

I apologize for my toxicity. I would like nothing more than to see Dembele somehow turn his career around here and become a world class player, but surely that is too negative. Maybe I should openly start stating a new desire for him to further fail miserably despite it being terrible for the club because wishing for failure is just what real fans do!

Last edited:

clemente

Aye.

140m down the drain, zero return on investment and problems with professionalism.

But excuse me for not being optimistic. Guess I am just too entitled. I should just be grateful for when the player comes to training on time during the weeks he is not injured. I am so sorry.

Mercilessly taking the piss out of Rakitic, a player we bought from Sevilla for 20m who went on to be a very good to serviceable player for the club for a half decade is totally the same thing! He has declined with age and is on his way out soon, but he still deserves to be treated like dirt!

Also claiming to be supporter of a club while actively cheering for losses to get rid of the manager also clearly pales in comparison to the atrocities I am committing.

I apologize for my toxicity. I would like nothing more than to see Dembele somehow turn his career around here and become a world class player, but surely that is too negative. Maybe I should openly start stating a new desire for him to further fail miserably despite it being terrible for the club because wishing for failure is just what real fans do!

You are toxic for trashing the guy for wanting to lose to get rid of the manager, that is a sacrifice a lot of fan are willing to take, nobody wants to go into CL knockouts with that scared mouse still managing this team, blindly defending manager and every player just to be "positive" doesn't make you more of a fan, to me fans like you are the plastic ones.

Home of Barca Fans