Other

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sounds like they are trying to privatize these clubs (currently owned by the Saudi state?) and encouraging private investments in these clubs, as part of an effort to make the Saudi league more attractive?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Sounds like they are trying to privatize these clubs (currently owned by the Saudi state?) and encouraging private investments in these clubs, as part of an effort to make the Saudi league more attractive?

No, the Saudi state is literally taking over these clubs and about to pour billions in a fund to sign big name stars.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No, the Saudi state is literally taking over these clubs and about to pour billions in a fund to sign big name stars.

Ahh, got it. Nationalizing these clubs and pumping state money into it to balloon their spending power. More near-retirement stars to Saudi Arabia I see.

khaled_a_d

Yup. Most likely. They want that 2030 World Cup.

No.
Asia aren't allowed to bid for any WC before 2034 afaik, as rotation policy from FIFA.
They are eyeing the 2030 vision for the whole country, a modernisation of it, and entertainment has been in the centre of MBS vision.
They genuinely want to make it a top 10 league in the world, and it is actually achievable btw (drop after top 5 is massive)

Are they going to succeed? No idea tbh. MBS could be the one to transform the country or the one to burn it to the ground. Considering their resources I would argue it is the former.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, with the limitless money, the Saudi are building all sorts of crazy stuff that is unimaginable elsewhere. We will have to see how it goes. However, I think with regard to their football league, no money in the world can buy a top league. Still will be mostly a destination for top players who are past their prime and second and third-tier foreign players, I'd think.

Porque

I think Saudi will get around the ruling with a multi-nation bid.

IMO the Spain bid (w/ Portugal and Maroc) is by far the most exciting.

DonAK

No.
Asia aren't allowed to bid for any WC before 2034 afaik, as rotation policy from FIFA.
They are eyeing the 2030 vision for the whole country, a modernisation of it, and entertainment has been in the centre of MBS vision.
They genuinely want to make it a top 10 league in the world, and it is actually achievable btw (drop after top 5 is massive)

Are they going to succeed? No idea tbh. MBS could be the one to transform the country or the one to burn it to the ground. Considering their resources I would argue it is the former.

Like Porque said they will try to get around it by hosting with other countries which will be Egypt and Greece.

Besides FIFA stinks so I'm not sure they care about the rotation system anymore.

DonAK

I think Saudi will get around the ruling with a multi-nation bid.

IMO the Spain bid (w/ Portugal and Maroc) is by far the most exciting.

You mean the Spain, Portugal, Morocco &............ Ukraine bid lol?

Hell nah. Gotta have it in South America man. Final in Uruguay. Return to the very place it all began.

khaled_a_d

Like Porque said they will try to get around it by hosting with other countries which will be Egypt and Greece.

Besides FIFA stinks so I'm not sure they care about the rotation system anymore.

Not allowed again afaik. The Egypt and Greece thing is fabricated, niether will do it and when Saudi apply for it, they will never share it with another country. Not after Qatar got all one by itself.
Never mind MBS is still in his 30's, he is patient.
So far, 2030 Saudi world cup is just a made up story that everyone decided to believe.

El Gato

Villarato!
Ahh, got it. Nationalizing these clubs and pumping state money into it to balloon their spending power. More near-retirement stars to Saudi Arabia I see.
They are not nationalizing the clubs.

A Saudi-backed consortium is going to be the owner of x amount of clubs. Privatisation in the letter of the law, only with a government fund behind it.

Makes clubs a more attractive entity than something outright owned and managed by a state.

Messi983

You mean the Spain, Portugal, Morocco &............ Ukraine bid lol?

Hell nah. Gotta have it in South America man. Final in Uruguay. Return to the very place it all began.

We all know FIFA cares more about money than tradition.

@El Gato You should change thread name to Saudi Professional league or something.

El Gato

Villarato!
I would have thought might as well keep as is and have this as a bulk thread for some uncommon exotic leagues
Not that it matters much

Home of Barca Fans